*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Administrator

22m

Haha. Then I guess maybe u can forward your. arc3 file to me and have a look and see if I can make some tweaks to it.

How do I send you my file. I never done that before.

Check your DM.

I will send it to you as soon as I get it from my brother. By the way whicj method is the best way to bring the trim levels down for the main speakers. Many thanks. And happy new year.:+1:

Hi Destray, I just sent you my Arc file and pdf. Many thanks for helping out.

Both your files are corrupted. I’m unable to open. Pls re-send.

Hi Destray, I re-sent you my files. This time I hope you can open them.:+1:

Hi cinaman, this time I am able to see the pdf and the .arc file. I have commented a few things. Pls follow-up.

It does look like your subwoofer is not located at an ideal spot. Judging from the big smiley :blush: shape from the graph. If you are using a crossover of 80hz to the subs, then it might be worth putting the subs in a location where you can see an improved amplitude response between 30-60hz

If you don’t have any measurement tools, you can try using ARC and see how the red line looks after changing location of the sub

Do u have an option to change the position of your subwoofer ? Are they now located at the corner of the room ?

No option to change to subwoofer placement. So any suggestion in getting the main speaker trim levels close to 0db. By the way the reason I dont have laptop is because of money issues. My daughter has Mac book but not the spec Arc is looking for its one below so thats not going to work I guess, but we never tried it. We should try anyway😜. Many thanks. By the way did you look at my other email with long explanation to your questions.

I think you forget that the email you sent direct to “me” unless you want to post it here?

Here’s a great comparison discourse from an Anthem AVM 90 user as he compared between Trinnov and Anthem products. Prior to using the Trinnov, he was an Anthem AVM 60 user. He went back to Anthem after using Trinnov Altitude 32. Sometime too much options/settings on the Trinnov can be “curse” than a “blessing”. The last straw that broke the camel’s back was the firmware upgrade that crippled the whole unit, coupled with very poor technical support from Trinnov’s team.

Here’s an excerpt from his personal experience:

In general, when I am watching a movie like Top Gun Maverick, which is utilizing clearly defined audio codecs, I don’t think I would really notice a difference between Trinnov versus Anthem. That is probably the most debatable proposition of all, and many would disagree with me on that point, because if all of the features of Trinnov are utilized, you should hear a difference. The question is whether it is a $20,000 difference – comparing the price of a Trinnov Altitude 32 (what I owned) to an Anthem AVM 90 – and that, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder and of the listener. That said, some guests in my home theater, who had heard Anthem many times over the years, could not hear a clear difference between Anthem and Trinnov.

For those interested, can read here for more details: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/anthem-avm-70-avm-90-processors.3171642/post-62242343

Oh BTW, he also briefly touched on the Lyngdorf product as well. It is all his experience which matters imo. It makes a good general read for those looking to get a Pre-pro or AVR beyond the usual Japanese brands.

2 Likes

Agree. Too many options in Trinnov can be a curse… recently heard an anthem and all I can say is thumbs up from me by far.

As for CS on Trinnov, I beg to differ. Their CS is excellent in my opinion. To be able to help potentially solve an issue in middle of night is a huge plus for me. Or to even help check and improve sounds on the fly when they remote in is just wow.

2 Likes

Ya expected, because it’s a giant killer processor! I had the luxury to compare it against the lyngdorf processor

I think the calibrator plays a huge role too

Put a Marantz Processor in the hands of an experienced calibrator and I reckon it can sound very good too compared to someone who owns the AVM90 but has no idea what the controls made available to him does.

So the calibrator plays a very important role as well. The same processor can sound vastly different when calibrated by different people

Wow really? They respond to your queries in the middle of the night ? Wah that’s unheard of CS quality…

Yes. I like to disturb then at night haha. Asking them question if I’m not sure what’s the settings are for

HHahah… Wah but they are really good, still answer your queries at night especially after office hours. Very good customer service indeed

Not many are that patient. Some just interested to sell and”Bo chap” after that. No after sales service. That’s the worse.

Good to know Singapore’s CS is good for Trinnov.

Anthem CS was good also, continued with the follow up and managed to get the replacement sticky remote for us. Quite happy with the CS at Eighteen 77

2 Likes

It’s not SG CS per say. Support from France as they can remote into your unit hehehe

1 Like

Hi there, I am having trouble with my subwoofer output above 80hz. The spl level drops very much so above 80hz. I didn’t have this problem with Denon & same subwoofer (Rel HT 1205). It is as if the Av receiver is applying a cut off beyond 80hz. I even raised high frequency to max but still nothing. Any idea whats going on. The explosions and bombs going off are all good, it’s just the higher frequencies that are suffering like human voices etc.

When u come to Adjust ARC settings tab, for high frequency extension, you can leave it to its default, this would normally be limited to the capability of your subs, how high up in frequency it can play. You can set this to 120hhz or 150hz

At the bottom, you have corrections to be applied, if you set this to 120hz, (freq extension) then ideally you want to correct up to 120hz as well

If you limit your extension to 100hz, then naturally you should apply corrections up to 100hz. Boosting is not so desirable, but applying cuts to resonance frequencies can yield better bass. Resonances can be damaging to bass quality

After applying corrections, you can verify by looking at the corrected target curve for your subwoofer channel

Hope that helps

Oh yes and make sure the knob for low pass filter is turned all the way up to maximum on your physical subwoofers, so you only apply digital low pass filter through the AVR