*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

How much is avm 70 now in sgd? Where to buy in singapore?

https://www.e77.asia/contactus

Give a call or drop an email to them to inquire about the latest price.

From a chinese HT enthusiast. Quite rare to find imo.

New beta Anthem Room Correction (ARC) v1. 7.4 is available for download.

No additional features or bug fixes are mentioned in the Release Notes for ARC Genesis Beta 1.7.4.

https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/beta.php

The only explanation is the phase. Either it sums in phase or out of phase. The latter reduces output. If they sum in phase, they will sound louder. That’s all to it.

A linear response doesn’t necessarily translate to good sound. One would also need to look at the spectrogram or waterfall plots to really understand if the corrections applied are really beneficial.

There are pros and cons with having ARC seeing all subs as 1 vs seeing it as independent subs and applying EQ for all subs before merging them. If you have the ability to do pre-optimisation for all individual subs with an outboard eq; then you will benefit with ARC Eq’ing subs as 1. But from my personal experience testing it, I found that ARC is able to perfectly blend up to 4 subwoofers well. There is no issue if you use software 1.6.10 blending up to 4 subwoofers. They do a fantastic job in terms of getting the best amplitude response and decay times. You can trust ARC to get the job done and I’m confident you will experience better bass even if u have room acoustics in place.

There are actually no issues, it’s just different approach to Equalisation and calibration. Either works but the calibrator needs to know which works better in that given situation. You can still make ARC see the dual subs as “1” if you wish, but you will need to use a splitter to send the signal from a single preout to both your subs.

Hope that helps! Fantastic piece of gear! Congrats on your new toy

Finally…MCA225 delivered. Just hooked up & let it burned for awhile. Too lazy too rearranged/setup ARC. Will stay in the Raw/Pure mode for awhile before deciding on what to do next.

2 Likes

Congrats. Did you check the price for 525 Gen 2?

Didnt ask actual pricing. But heard there will be some increased due to GST. May need to check with both E77 & TEG…
Also didn’t know the MCA was made in Canada!
Btw, I think their new batch of shipments just arrived.

1 Like

This short tutorial is for those who wish to connect the Anthem MRX or AVM via WiFi.

MRX AVM Quick set up Guide 2021

— Hi there, This video is telling us to match the subwoofer level measurements with the 66db centre channel measurement. Is that correct because I thought we were supposed to make all the speaker levels 75db and match the subwoofer to this. Am I wrong.

The tutorial is correct to overcome the idiosyncrasy of ARC calibrating. You can use either the front left or right speaker for the quick measurement as well. The reason for this is the issue faced by users having very high trim levels due to the wide variation in SPL output level during calibration when pink noise is generated between the subwoofer and the speakers. To overcome this, set the SPL output level to coincide with the front left/right or the center channel spk to get the SPL in sync. 75dB can need achieved when the calibration completes.

The tutorial leave out the auto phase correction part which uttar very critical to ensure correct phase and delay are properly dialed in.

Hi there, what does the high frequency extension setting in the picture above do if you set it to lets say 200hz as appose to lets say 80hz. What effect does this have on bass quality. Does it make it more tighter, bloated, muddy etc… .

Finally got the anthem remote replaced, no more sticky buttons. No more worlds crappiest remote, no more issues. Nothing left to complain on anthem AVM90 processor ……

3 Likes

The high frequency extension you see now is ARC’s calculation showing what is the actual roll off frequency of that particular subwoofer.

You can change the roll off point for this and set this to 120hz /100hz. It does look like you have a peak at around 120-140hz . That is something that needs to be eliminated to have a better bass experience . The “hump” is not desirable and can be very damaging to sound. A lot of times smearing upper midbass clarity

If you are setting extension to 100hz, that means it starts to roll off from about 80hz onwards and most of that peaks will not be played back by the subs. If the subs don’t play beyond those frequencies, the room cannot produce those peaks that are damaging to overall sound

If you set the extension to 100hz, it’s better to apply correction up to 100hz as well and not 80hz…

These are my actual Arc setting and results:

I messed up on the quick measure by not level matching the left speaker to 75db, so now the bass is messed up on mid frequencies. The Arc results originally showed a 6db for fronts and centre and this resulted the main speakers being too loud at low volumes and I could not hear the effect of the mid bass produced by the subwoofer. And when I put the master volume up to hear the subwoofer mids then the system will sound too loud for the ears from the main speakers. So what this meant was good by mid bass. I tried to help by bumping the room gain but that resulted in bass sounding not so clean and tight. It actually sounds muddy and bloated. Now what I am going to do next is do the quick measure just like how you mentioned it earlier and I hope that will help.
Speaker Profile Settings
Profile1 uses Measurement A
Profile2 uses Measurement Profile3 uses Measurement Profile4 uses Measurement
List of Speakers Enabled
Profile1:
· Fronts
· Center
· Surrounds
· Subwoofer 1
Profile2:
· Fronts
· Subwoofer 1
Profile3:
· Fronts
· Center
· Surrounds
· Subwoofer 1
Profile4:
· Fronts
· Center
· Surrounds
· Subwoofer 1
Level Settings
Profile1:
B C D
System-Wide Level Target: 0 dB Front Left: 3.5 dB, 2.45 m Center: 2.5 dB, 2.25 m
Front Right: 3.5 dB, 2.50 m Subwoofer 1: -1.5 dB, 2.50 m Surround Left: 6 dB, 1.10 m Surround Right: 9.5 dB, 1.95 m
Profile2:
System-Wide Level Target: 0 dB Front Left: 3.5 dB, 2.45 m

Front Right: 3.5 dB, 2.55 m Subwoofer 1: -1.5 dB, 2.60 m
Profile3:
System-Wide Level Target: 0 dB Front Left: 4 dB, 2.45 m
Center: 2.5 dB, 2.25 m
Front Right: 4 dB, 2.60 m Subwoofer 1: -1.5 dB, 2.70 m Surround Left: 4 dB, 1.20 m Surround Right: 9.5 dB, 2.10 m
Profile4:
System-Wide Level Target: 0 dB Front Left: 4.5 dB, 2.45 m Center: 2.5 dB, 2.25 m
Front Right: 4 dB, 2.60 m Subwoofer 1: -1 dB, 2.65 m Surround Left: 5 dB, 1.20 m Surround Right: 9 dB, 2.10 m
Target Settings
Profile1:
Room Gain: 6 dB
Room Gain Center Frequency: 200 Hz Deep Bass Boost: 0.875 dB
Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency: 50 Hz Tilt Level: 0 dB
Tilt Start Frequency: 100 Hz
FRONTS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 80 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 4.46
Maximum Correction Frequency: 5000 Hz
CENTER
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 80 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 4.91
SURROUNDS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 90 Hz

Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 3.05
SUBWOOFER 1
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 220 Hz High-Pass Frequency: 15 Hz
High-Pass Slope: Flat
Minimum Correction Frequency: 16 Hz
Phase Filter: 0 degrees @ 80 Hz
Profile2:
Room Gain: 6 dB
Room Gain Center Frequency: 200 Hz Deep Bass Boost: 1.5 dB
FRONTS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 80 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 4.91
SUBWOOFER 1
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 220 Hz High-Pass Frequency: 15 Hz
Minimum Correction Frequency: 15 Hz
Phase Filter: 30 degrees @ 80 Hz
Profile3:
Room Gain: 5.5 dB
Room Gain Center Frequency: 200 Hz Deep Bass Boost: 0.75 dB
FRONTS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 80 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 3.05

CENTER
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 80 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 3.69
SURROUNDS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 90 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 4.46
SUBWOOFER 1
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 200 Hz High-Pass Frequency: 19 Hz
Profile4:
Room Gain: 5.625 dB
Room Gain Center Frequency: 200 Hz Deep Bass Boost: 0.5 dB
FRONTS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 80 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 4.46
CENTER
SURROUNDS
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 90 Hz Send Bass to Sub (or Low-Frequency Extension Slope): Send bass to the sub High-Frequency Roll Off: 3.05

SUBWOOFER 1
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency (or Low-Frequency Extension): 130 Hz High-Pass Frequency: 15 Hz

Before I attempt to answer…may I know is this the default ARC measurement for your Sub 2? You did not meddle with the settings like setting the LFE extension slope to “flat” etc. And where is Sub 1 response? You need to see the summation of the 2 subs to better understanding the issue with the sound. For instance, the Low Freq Ext slope have a roll-off around 32Hz of your Sub 2 DOES NOT tell me that

For instance, this calibration report tells me something about your Sub 1 but I don’t see any Sub 2? Is that the actual graph of your sub or just an illustration image from some website??? Very confusing…

I also notice you have applied a lot of Room Gain (RG) - i.e. 6.0dB. May I ask what is the size of your listening area?

Before I attempt to answer…may I know is this the default ARC measurement for your Sub 2? You did not meddle with the settings like setting the LFE extension slope to “flat” etc. And where is Sub 1 response? You need to see the summation of the 2 subs to better understanding the issue with the sound. For instance, the Low Freq Ext slope have a roll-off around 32Hz of your Sub 2 DOES NOT tell me that

For instance, this calibration report tells me something about your Sub 1 but I don’t see any Sub 2? Is that the actual graph of your sub or just an illustration image from some website??? Very confusing…

I also notice you have applied a lot of Room Gain (RG) - i.e. 6.0dB. May I ask what is the size of your listening area?

@desray
Hi yes the image with subwoofer 2 is not from my system you can disregard that. I just used a random image to ask you about high frequency extension and what it does. The image with subwoofer 1 is from my system and I only have 1 subwoofer. My room size is 3.5 meters by 4.5 meters.
I was thinking, because I messed up on the quick measure side of calibration the levels to the mains came up high resulting high volume levels for the mains at low volume listening and Arc bumped up my room gain to match the mains. Something didn’t seem right with the high room gain and I think it’s because of the quick measure I think. My original results were 6db for the mains and -3.5 for the subwoofer with a room gain of 5.5 before tweaking.
And my original results for the subwoofer 1 was not flat it was 8th on the high pass slope.
Like I said before the system reaches it climax point way too early at low volumes and that results in bass not showing its self in all its glory. And it also sounds bloated and boomy (not so clean).
I think as it stands without recalibrating the system I might get better results if I put the subwoofer level up to +3db and lower the room gain to +3db at room gain frequency of 150hz instead of 200hz. This might give me better tighter bass sound. I don’t have a PC to recalibrate all the time. Only when my brother comes round and he lives far you see.

I should pay you a visit to listen to your system in order to have a better understanding what you are experiencing. Where u live?

desrayAdministrator

2h

I should pay you a visit to listen to your system in order to have a better understanding what you are experiencing. Where u live

I wish you could but I live in UK London.
And by the way as of today what is the best way of reducing the trim levels after ARC. I read at the beginning of the forum that you play around with the master volume, note down the master volume showing in user interface but then one of you stated that withe the new firmware it is no longer an option. Has that changed back to the easy workaround like before.

Haha. Then I guess maybe u can forward your. arc3 file to me and have a look and see if I can make some tweaks to it.