Demo and catch up at Roni’s

That’s a good idea. Put one layer motorised curtain track in front … Kao Dim…

Bro, put 1 more layer black black-out curtain. Day and night diff.

My window curtain, ever since i changed it to super dark grey, has been a game changer hahaha… No turning back

Ya bro, the existing curtains are black out curtains, 3 layers thick, good for acoustics and blocks out external sunlight and lowers a fair bit of room ambient noise… but back then, I was with the OLED tv, so didn’t think much about darker curtains. With the PJ set up, I noticed yes it does block out external light but doesn’t absorb internal light generated within the environment… lol

Meeting the curtain guy today… quite good his curtains… still using it…

Ultra black it is…. Can slide open close … so no problem ….

Now very fussy with choice of black after learning the level of black fabric makes a big difference

Power la

Last night whilst awaiting the arrival of the new curtain fabric, I proceeded to work on the centre speaker

Thanks to bro Wechnivag, reminded me on the subject of cabinet diffraction. It’s something that I have been wanting to try but somehow always forget in the end….

In case anyone else is interested to know what is cabinet diffraction, here is one post that may help in your journey when you do up your AT screen with your centre speakers tucked behind like mine below

So here is the article that hope helps you understand the benefits of mitigating cabinet edge diffraction problems for speakers

https://audioxpress.com/article/Diffraction-Doesn-t-Have-to-Be-a-Problem

The article recommends 1/2” thickness & he is using SAE F13 wool, that’s about 75% wool content . Low density is recommended, what’s missed out in the article was density with thickness, as in what level of density at what thickness is most efficient

Also important to note, synthetic felt is not recommended as it appears more reflective than absorptive

So I’ve gotten 1/4 inch thick 100% wool from amazon,

100% Pure Wool, Cut to Fit, Natural Felt Insoles for Men, Women, Children, 12x 12 x 1/4 inch https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B07VVTCB91/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_AKMTQCK6SM9E6J0VQY8N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But when I measured, it’s 1cm thick! Not 1/4 inch. So it’s close to 1/2 inch in thickness, which is what the writer recommended

Then I did some measurements, brought down the screen

And that’s the end product above :point_up_2:t2:

Last night , I fired up my favourite scenes for vocals testing, the age of adaline and Prometheus cave scene that I’m so familiar and have played back hundreds of times….

What I discovered……

1. There is improvement in separation , tested the Adeline and Prometheus cave scene
  2. Clarity improved…
  3. precision have improved, there seem to be a clearer tracking of the on screen action with vocals. It’s very precise and pronunciation is crystal clear

The wind blowing sound, before they enter the cave, is popping up as very obvious, panning left to right clearly…. Sand sweeping sound is popping up clearly from ground to top, the level of immersion has improved greatly. U can feel as if u r in the dessert, and sand doesn’t always blow at one direction, sometimes it can blow at your feet and sometimes to your eyes. I didn’t know there is so much more details on Prometheus scene. As the guy talks on the radio, and the group of people talking, I can hear clearly the content of sound on the radio, clear separation between what’s going on with the group of people chatting and the background radio noise wife their walkie talkie

It’s a huge success! These acoustics stuff, cheap and good, and very effective

Why didn’t I do that earlier ? It’s better late than never…

Thanks bro Wechnivag!

Yesterday I did a quick test, having the before measurements and after measurements

You can see the difference it made to the overal response. The red line was previous. And the green is current with wool felt

I’ve applied a 1/6 smoothing and we can see the benefits, this corresponds to listening experience.

So even if the red is post eq, it still signifies that digital correction is required to fix the amplitude response, whereas with the wool felt on the speaker cabinets, no such correction required

Needless to say, I went ahead and did it for the rest of the speakers

Mains with and without grills, just nice there is a 1cm gap for the grill, so it fits perfectly.

I did it for the rest surrounds and surround backs

After watching Shang chi, I tested my favourite familiar songs…. And I gotta say they really improve the upper midrange Clarity. The instruments sounded a lot more “neutral” and precise, the separation was solid, lots of improvements compared to last time. I’ve never heard the ribbons sound that good before. That’s the first for me.

Overall, happy with the addition of the wool felt for the speakers, they help and improve sonic quality

I should have done this years ago… but it’s better late than never….

Still working on light control, finally found the right fabric, again back to velvet ultra black spandex type for use as curtain

Here it is

This pic taken during the night, can be seen above that it’s black enough. Pretty good with absorbing internal light spill from the projected image within the room

During the day, you can see how it looks below

Breathable type material as u can still see sun light

To block out sunlight, there is another blackout 3 layer curtain at window section as seen below

The internal light absorbing curtain tucks in nicely behind the line array woofers below

Because the fabric is light and breathable, it works very well with SwitchBot. All good now fully set up.

So during movie sessions, the ultra black spandex fabric will cover the sides, during non movie times, it will tuck in behind the line array speakers, all controlled using SwitchBot curtain . This method won’t have WAF issues because the light weight light absorbing curtains are tucked behind the line array woofers. So Heng Heng … hit 3 birds with 1 stone

I’m not sure if curtains will start to feel tactile movements from left corner stacked F18” seatons subs… wil need to test to find out

I still have a little bit more work to do today, to complete the ceiling section, almost there

I have finally completed the work….

Very challenging with ceiling and Atmos. Luckily the original MA ceiling speakers came with the black breathable fabric speaker cover, so I could remove the grill and use this…

The video is absolutely stunning now

I’m literally staring at an 135” OLED now….

Very very good once we get the light bleed under control…

Very satisfied now… really tiring especially ceiling work but worth it …

There is really a huge difference between black and ultra black material. The latter improves colour and contrast by a significant margin.

I can imagine the quality of video in a dedicated pitch black room. I now have a better understanding of the type of black material that will make a difference to video, after all that comparison and testing…

16:9 aspect ratio is so nice. Definitely prefer this aspect ratio over 2:39

The image above is from the documentary “tiny” Apple TV +…

If u haven’t watched this, definitely check it out, very nice video and audio, u will enjoy it !!

Taken from a distance right at the end corner of the room….

To give you an understanding of how it looks , no more light reflecting off the previous curtains like the one circled in red below :point_down:

Can still see some reflection going on at the bottom section where the rest of the gear is situated.

Ideally, if we can move the gear to the sides, that’s also nicer to some extent u have nothing blocking the phantom image from left and right speakers for stereo .

In my situation above, moving the gear away from that location is not possible at the moment

Does it seem that only the 1500mmx1000mm is pure black light-absorbing?

Yes it is, only the 1500mm version is good to go, I think they have a max 3000mm x 1500mm, anything that is more is not using the same material…… and it’s about only $22 for the 3x1.5m version… so make sure to check and get the correct version

Here is one demo clip, the Batman 2022 in HDR10 Atmos. This scene has a very special type of effect when car crashes, if you have wide speakers, you will enjoy this one! The Rumble from Batmobile is syok and machine gun bullets spraying… syok!!

somehow not able to cut out for DV + Atmos

MKV container works for Atmos but doesn’t for Dolby Vision
TS container works for DV but doesn’t for Atmos. (not sure if its the oppo/file/software)

nonethelese, the car chase scene is demo worthy! adding it to my collections together with Need for Speed , solid!!

Enjoy!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_DaGXbjksy0Qj2fpi1mr0V8ccn2ayYa/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

Much appreciated brother

1 Like

lol concidence just demo this scene 1 hour 19mins ( batman car engine start roaringgggggggggg)
with need for speed clip together to 2 bros earlier on. POW WOW :slight_smile:

Reference demo cinematic scene! :slight_smile:

PS: Thanks bro sharing always !

2 Likes

Superb!! Thumb’s Up, buddy!!!

1 Like

Nice! Did not really like the movie much but excellent test scene never the less.
Thanks for cutting this… good to have when checking calibration.

1 Like

After a long time, I finally upgraded the sofa to theatre type of sofa, and I must say I’m extremely satisfied with the upgrade.

Before that, I headed down to king living, I had a budget of $10k for HT chairs. The king living ones were like $12k ! So ex!

Then I came across, comfy. No turning back after that. It’s 1/3 the price and it’s so so comfortable, best of all, crowsons fit nicely

New carpets, dark gray, in the living room. Thanks to roborock S7, the entire place is spick and span and robot vacuum is fantastic for carpets. So one less headache.

You can mix and match, has compartment for drinks, charging, power sockets for massager, lights, remote compartment and superb dual recliner, for headrest and leg rest

Very nice, I can now tilt to exact location so viewing is so much more comfortable

Highly recommended, this place is in woodlands, comfy

2 Likes

For crowsons

I tookout the original footers, as easy as turning the screws left and dismantling it.

Then

I went with mounting of the actuators in front, it’s something new as the tactile energy now transfers to both back and recliner, it now sits beneath the front footers of the sofa instead of the back. I removed the plywood platform

Crowsons now sit directly on the piece of wooden structure from the sofa., circled in green

The rest of the footers are replaced with the Hudson’s isolator

Tested my familiar scene, gravity…

Most of the special effects were present, except for one type, where the pod spins, u should feel the chair tactility moving in circular motion, that was missing. Other than that, the whooshing etc was ever present. First mute the processor, feel the crowsons, then unmute the processor, whoosh subwoofer energy hits past your body. No issues of crowsons over riding subwoofer energy. So thats a pass.

I’d say it pass the overall test. It wasn’t as good as having the plywood platform , but it was ok. So I decided not to have any plywood platform beneath the sofa.

Very comfortable HT sofa with crowsons. If u r contemplating new theatre seats, check out comfy. Very nice . Affordable and good quality

** satisfied customer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes, with the Hudson’s , the entire sofa is a lot more “bouncier” , much nicer now. U get that bouncy feel when u sit on it.

Exactly where I want it to be…

Sofa is bouncy…

Bass line array is bouncy type bass….

The bouncy type of bass, is the opposite of hard hitting bass… not sure how else to describe the signature

But Bouncy bouncy is syok!

2 Likes