*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Sir may I check how to obtain full range to my main/front ? May I set crossover setting to off for front or enable supersub fronts ?

Thank you!

Before you even attempt to do that. You have to ask yourself whether your mains are capable of delivering a “clean” bass. Go and check Dali’s website for more info on your mains. If it can deliver 40hz (typical fullranger), I believe your mains are bookshelf, correct me if I’m wrong…then my advice is drop this whole idea.

If you insist to try…just make sure that the mains crossover is at least at 80hz or higher and turn on super sub fronts to experiment. Before you do that, you should create a separate profile - 2.1 to cater to this 2-channel testing.

Good luck.

1 Like

Many thanks for you information sir. My bookshelf speaker frequency response start from 47 Hz.

I’m getting 2 x REL Tx5 for stereo bass and will become 5 subwoofers setup. But I’ll be used 4 subwoofers. 2 x REL for stereo bass. 1 x svs for centre speaker then 1 x svs for LFE. Last subwoofer may keep or selling back . However adding subwoofer to centre is optional but I’ll give it a try since I’ve all the gears. I’ll not be using LFE sub out for music profile but will be operating with 3.2 or 3.3 . Thank you.

Oh yes, and recently I got a reply from anthem support, and it’s good news to the 6 us who got the AVM90 last June 2022

It turns out our unit is an 8k model, but comes with the full sabre 9038pro

You can check the 5th alphabet of the serial number to know if it’s a 4k or 8k model

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Good sharing…

1 Like

I read from AVSforum, some own the AVM90, they sold their AVM70 plus STR preamp setup. It seems this can be for both movie and music setup.

I have a short demo of 1140 last weekend. Then I also have a demo of setup using Marantz and Denon on other shops and speakers. The presentation of Anthem is different.

Yes, the UI for Anthem is different because it is using ARC Genesis together with the Web UI. If you only see the Web UI, then you are missing all the advanced features that you can tweak till your heart’s content. How do you find the sound of Anthem vs D&M?

Yea, a few of them went with the upgrade to the AVM90. I prefer to go straight for the best possible, rather than buying the Lower end model, only to sell it and upgrade

The AVM90 is very very good, both for music and HT.

If you are in the market and in the look out for a processor, look no further

If you wanna experience the potential of the AVM90, let me know, 30 mins with a few different demo clips is all that is required to understand its potential

The firmware is also stable, no issues . Been using it for a year now…

It checked all the boxes for me.

1. high quality room correction algorithm in arc
  2. superb blending for all 4 subs
  3. stable firmware
  4. audiophile grade DACs 9038pro
  5. Dynamic sounding
  6. render 9.1.6(native)
  7. nice web gui, very convenient
    8)8k
  8. very good price for the quality
  9. allows for shakers/actuators through rca(both XLR and rca active
  10. high quality calibration mic
  11. adequate controls available for tweakers to get the job done
  12. flexible profiling
  13. allows the use of phantom centre speakers

The only problem I had with the unit was the remote. But they changed it. So no more complaints

I hosted a couple of the guys

A lot of them are experienced and has been to my place a couple of times over the years… so they had the luxury to compare the previous set up and the ones before that. one of them actually preferred the sound signature from the anthem

It’s really end game type of quality…

4 Likes

Based on the showroom I have visited. D&M is more meaty and forward like a tsunami. Anthem is clear and like ocean wave. :grin:

Another concern for me is the repair service from Anthem. Do they service locally like D&M or need send back to anthem. If need to send back to Anthem, then out of warranty service will be more expensive.

What is the amp that you used for pairing with AVM90 ?

Tsunami vs Ocean wave… who will win? hahaha

I have the Apollon purifi 1ET400 for LCR and Apollon hypex class D for all Atmos.

Selling the ati525 amp that I’m using for the surrounds and surround backs at the moment.

Trying to go all same amps for the sound signature. The entire set up uses the same dome tweeter from monitor audio, except for the LCR that uses the ribbons

I’m trying to get them to sound similar for that coherent sound

For the subwoofers, all 4 are using the same amplifier from speaker power

I came across the web and I’m still seeing so many positive reviews

The other key factor to look out for is how the calibrator sets them up… their calibration skills will play a huge role in how it sounds

Put a denon and anthem in my hands, I can transform the denon to sound superior to the anthem , anytime… and vice versa…

It’s always best to hear it from the same person who has used it at his own place and who has the same set of skills for setting things up… ahh then u have a fair comparison… that’s my take…

2 Likes

Anthem is more effective in getting rid of standing waves produced by the room and it computes and retain a fair amount of room gain to make the bass sound cleaner and tight almost effortlessly. But most of us who came from D&M may find it hard to accept the bass sound and feel “thinner” compared to the more “meaty” bass from D&M. This is esp so when most enthusiasts expect their Uber expensive and massive sized subwoofers to “roar” like king of the jungle. It takes some time to get used to Anthem sound. Once acclimatised, you will appreciate the calmness and tranquility of the sea. It lets you see, feel and hear the corals and the aquatic mammals. :rofl:

1 Like

New Anthem MRX540 owner here with a question…
When you’re listening in stereo mode, what do you use for 'Mode Preset For Stereo Source? There’s ‘none’, ‘anthem logic’, ‘dolby surround’, ‘dtx’, etc. I’m asking specifically about stereo source when you’re just listening to music with 2 channels.
I’ve been playing around with them a bit and I like ‘none’, ‘dolby’ and ‘anthem logic music’ the best.
I feel like ‘none’ is the most natural and the way it’s supposed to be set, but when choosing the others I seem to get quite a bit more oompf. Maybe it’s a personal choice. Curious to hear what others do.
Thank you

1 Like

Choose “None” for 2 channel music. If you really want a more “enveloping” sound, Dolby Surround Upmixer or DSU is the way to go. Drop AnthemLogic Music altogether. That’s my advice.

Make sure you have a dedicated profile for 2 channel music vs multi-channel music. For instance, I have 2 profiles for Apple TV that I created.

1. Apple TV movie streaming
  2. Apple Music Dolby Atmos content
  3. Apple Music 2-Channel content

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/marantz-av10-vs-anthem-av90.3264422/post-62483743

“Before I proceed, I have to go on record that most “listening” comparisons are largely useless and heavily biased. Unless the gear is calibrated to as much of the same REW curve as possible, results are just random. Also, for the record, AV 90 and 8500HA measure similar on the bench so unless AV 90 was sparkled with the holly audio water blessed by a high elf with golden ears, there is no objective reason why AV 90 (room correction aside) would be superior.”

I can’t help myself laughing when this guy from AVSforum said in this way :rofl: :joy:

When it comes to sound, everything is subjective. I have used Denon X8500H and Anthem MRX 1120 (3rd Gen) before that and of course, my current MRX 1140. To be frank, there is really nothing stopping anyone from getting a great sound from either brands - be it Denon or Anthem. As long as one is willing to put effort into doing the most basic things right - e.g. placement of speakers and subwoofers in optimal place, half the battle is won as there is less work for the roomEQ - i.e. Audyssey or ARC to work its magic. The reason why I went back to Anthem is simply because I find ARC is better at taming “standing wave” in “my” listening space as compared to Audyssey which can still get you there but not w/o doing slightly more work to get to sound nirvana. In the hands of a capable calibrator coupled with a good roomEQ, Denon or Anthem can sound equally impressive.

1 Like

so many options now for room correction. But seems ARC is the easiest to use and achieve good result.

1 Like

I can’t say ARC is the best but it delivers the best bang for buck if you asked me since I have used BOTH X8500H and 2 generations of Anthem AVR. I can say that ARC can easily rival some of the top end processors like Trinnov, Lygndorf version of roomEQ without burning a hole in your pocket. Dirac and it’s impending ART will be another one to watch out for but Dirac integration with brands like Onkyo, NAD, Denon, Marantz has not been a smooth and seamless integration, often times delivering water down version and have to pay to get upgraded feature sets etc, making it not less accessible to the customers. Only time will tell whether Dirac integration with Denon and Marantz is going to improve the sound quality even better than Audyssey. Healthy dose of competition is always good and benefit customers as it breeds innovation and the willingness to deliver more value.

Trinnov vs Anthem