*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

What kind of CEC bugs? It is quite a convenient to power on/off all the devices in one shot. If this doesnt work will be a let down. X8500 also not 100% works all the time.

I can’t be sure exactly what issues but there are many negative user experience usually related to eARC and CEC. Perhaps Anthem have resolved most of it through various firmware updates along the way but I can’t tell for sure whether it’s been fixed.

More often than not, it’s the the erratic behaviour of CEC implentation between the TV display and the MRX. These comments were mentioned about a year ago and sometimes occasionally from some Anthem users. I don’t connect to a TV and use eARC hence I can’t tell for sure. Best is not to use CEC. Do a Google search and you should be able to find more details.

Thanks you so much for your help!

1 Like

Anthem AVM 70 8K - Part 3 - Failing Amp, Blown Speaker Troubleshooting

He blown his speakers and amp with AVM70 8K

Fan noise is the most complained I read so far from most Anthem threads.
But this guy very unlucky for his speakers and amp.

Yes, I saw the clip and all his complaints and discovery of the idiosyncrasies of Antjem AVM 70 (applicable to MRX series as well) were not unfounded. Most people experienced one or two of the issues he had described BUT DEFINITELY NOT ALL. This guy is either very suay or he is very careless. The fan issue is no longer an issue with the latest Apr firmware update, so let’s get this out of the way first. For his “careless” execution of using Web UI to play with the Master Volume was the result of he attempting to lower the MV since the test tone was too loud for him (at 90dB on the output). This is not something that he should be playing and yes, he was right, Anthem need to come up with some kind of “safety” feature like accidental touch on the volume slider causing the sound level to go maximum volume. This can be easily fix by using some programming to ensure a pop-up msg will appear to warn user that the volume level selected is beyond the max volume set - e.g. 0dB (reference level). Anthem allows user to set a start-up volume as well as max volume. The programming can simply check the max volume and compare to the user input on the volume slider to ensure a trigger will pop-up to warn user of the danger of max volume risking speaker driver blown!

For his sake, I agreed with him that he is better off returning the Anthem AVM 70 since he have experienced LITERALLY every single bugs reported by the Anthem community. I don’t know whether to commiserate with him or ROLF at how “unlucky” he is with Anthem.

Pls do not let his experience deter you or any member from ever considering the Anthem. If done right, you will be rewarded with the most satisfying sound for both movies and music.

1 Like

Hi sir, one more clarification. What am I suppose to see on display when Dolby Atmos and DTS : X audio stream playback ? I had configured my windows PC Radeon RX 5700 XT HDMI out to Dolby Atmos and I stream Maverick Blu-ray rip with Dolby Atmos track via Kodi (application). On my XRM screen , display is showing multi pcm. I don’t have any Blu-ray player or Smart TV at this moment to try out. Kindly advise.
Thanks you!

Did you configure the Audio settings in the Kodi correctly? Make sure passthrough is selected. As I am not using HTPC to watch my movies, perhaps any member here can help you out. Once again, I do not see this as a problem but rather mis-configuration.

I’ve found a solution. There are two ways to test dolby atmos in windows.

1. Download Dolby Atmos application on Microsoft Store. (I’m able to see dolby atmos on my xrm 540 screen)

2. Inside Kodi system > audio setting , please enable audio decoder options to external receiver . Default is only one enable ‘Dobly Digital 2.0’ (Now I’m able to see Dolby Atmos , DTS etc . base on the audio track I played)

All above will be only worked with windows. Mac OSX doesn’t support audio passthrough :frowning:

Many thanks for your hints.

1 Like

Another finding, I only seen one subwoofer status on screen display unlike the others.

On my setup screen there is only one subwoofer 1 . I’ve been used two subs since day one.

Anyone any advice ? Thank you.

Start a new ARC session. Make sure you pay attention to the number of subwoofer drop-down list you have selected is 2 and not 1. If I recall correctly, the default number of subwoofer is 1 unless you select 2.

Ah I see, I haven’t go through ARC session until the end since my Kitten scared of beam shooting and I got scolded by my wife :sweat_smile: . Thank you for you hints Sir !

By the way sir, 540 two subs out independent or mirrored ?

They run in parallel…

live now cheers

1 Like

After this, hopefully everyone have a better idea what to do and what NOT to do.

1 Like

Sir, just want to check whether I can setup as follows since Anthem XRM 540 sub out running in parallel.

I’ve three subwoofers in total somehow.

Connect AVR line out left to my sub 1 , line out right to sub 2 and sub out / LFE to sub 3.

Will it be improved my sound experience ? Thank you!

What is your 3rd subwoofer? same brand/model - as in SVS SB-1000? If not, then don’t risk making things worse if the subwoofer response is good for dual subwoofer setup.

If you really want to connect 3 subwoofers, use the diagram below as guide.

1 Like

It’s different brand sir. I think I’ll just used two subs and stop the implication here. Thanks you !

A little advice for you.

Since you are only playing with ProLogic (LCR) + 2 subwoofers - 3.2 channels, you should focus on getting the best out of your Mains. Create 2 profiles - one 3.2 (for movies) and 2.2 (L+R with bass management). Play with it to get the best out of the 2 profiles is what I will spend more time doing rather than looking at hardware improvement like connecting to a power amp or adding another subwoofer into the chain etc.

1 Like

The livestream missed the great opportunity to provide more setup tips and also failed to cover the more intermediate to advance setup for ARC. It is quite a disappointment overall for me. I hope to see a part 2 with less focus on the usual marketing BS.

FWIW if I have the time, I will share some of my intermediate to advance setup tips for ARC soon. Hopefully, next week when I have the time. I promise these tips will be something that you have never seen before. It is based on my personal trial and error and tested to be working most of the time. While there is so much I can share with “words”, I hope I can explain it as simply as possible. Of course, the pre-requisite is to have members already done at least one round of ARC to truly benefit from it.

Stay tuned…

1 Like