*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Still i tink price wise too much for processor investment.

Yesterday I had the chance to do a quick comparison of “The Brother’s Grimsby” demo clip, it’s a 5.1 DTS HD MA sound track

I first played it in its original 5.1 format, later I replayed it in DTS Neural X using the web gui and was quite impressed with the upmixing done by the anthem. It was a lot more “realistic” where the sound seemed to track the on screen action better

In the past, I never found the need to upmix any 5.1 or 7.1 with the lyngdorf or Denon that I used to own. Most often in majority of the demo clips, they didn’t sound quite right or natural.

Enter the anthem, it’s processing capabilities took me by surprise. The “upmixed content processing” done by anthem was so good I decided to turn on the neural upmix option for 5.1/7.1 sources

Another +1 for the anthem… it doesn’t fail to impress me over and over again… this time with its upmixing algorithm…

Good job anthem !!

2 Likes

I also want to thank the user Desray for helping me when I needed it.

Very grateful indeed.

Regards my friend

2 Likes

Hello Desrey.
I would like to share with you my and my friend’s impressions after we uploaded the corrected file you sent me to the receiver.
Already at the beginning of watching the film ready player one, a very significant improvement was felt in the uniformity of the front stage and the full synergy of the front stage with the subwoofer.
Everything was perfect, precise and punchy. The transitions between the channels were smooth and everything sounded beautifully timed.
And this is a huge improvement over the previous calibration without a doubt.
But we noticed a problem with the center channel, which we both heard was too local and had a very narrow stage compared to the rest of the speakers, and also the dialogue was unclear and pretty much disappeared while watching movies.
This is the only problem we encountered.
The member’s system consists of the following components:
ANTHEM MRX-1140
L/R SPEAKERS: FOCAL ARIA 926
CENTER: FOCAL ARIA CC900
SURROUND: ARENDAL 1723SX2
HEIGHT-ARENDAL 1961X4
SUBWOOFER: ARENDAL 1723 2S.

Try the following values depicted below. Re-calculate and then re-upload to hear any difference.

Get your friend to drop the “Tilt level” from “0” to “-1.5” under the system-wide target segment.

Increase the crossover of the center spk from 80hz to “90hz” or “100hz” and see whether it makes any difference to the tonality of the center spk, particularly on the clarity. If all else fail to register a change, then your friend may have to play with the “High-Frequency Roll-off”. For starters, change the “flat” to somewhere around “4.05”. The lower the value, the steeper the roll-off in the high frequency. Based on the graph, the Focal LCR seems to track very close to each other. Hence, changing the crossover for your friend’s center spk will probably yield better results. Only play with “High-Frequency Roll-off” as the last resort.

Let me know how it goes…

2 Likes

Hi desray
I am @moshe friend.
First of all thank you for the time you invest in trying to help.
I came from yamaha rx-a3080 and never felt the center is too local and the vocal is not clear enough.
I think that the integration between L/R and the sub is a big big step over the yamaha. Maybe the center still “behind”.
I tried everything you recommended.
I raise the center front a little bit more, maybe it will be better, didn’t try it yet.

Number of questions

1. Do the phase correction include the center or is it just for mains?
    2.in some cases after the phase correction the sub is 125 degree and sometimes it is 0 degree, why is that diffrence?
  2. Cec is not working as good as yamaha, any tips?
    Or just leave it?

Thanks a head

I’m rushing to work so I’ll answer the technical queries first.

To answer your last question first…I’m NOT a fan of CEC implementation in electronics hence I will never use it. Simply too many issues as different manufacturers implement CEC to suit their product needs - meaning to work in conjunction with their own products like LG TV pairing with say a LG soundbar for instance. Likewise, CEC for Anthem is indeed finicky and it’s a “known” issue and widely discussed in AVSForum. So it does not come as a surprise to me. My advice, ditch it.

As for the reason why phase values change each time you re-do the phase alignment. It boils down to the changes we have made to any of the parameters that affects the System-wide settings - E.g. changes made to the room gain, deep bass boost, tilt freq etc. will have an impact to the phase value.

1 Like

Can u show a photo on how is your centre speaker placed currently? Are u using PJ or TV?

If there are any comments to the photos please share with me

Thanks. The photo helps lots.

My inputs:

• I feel your centre speaker’s elevation is not optimal as u have some more space to elevate it, which would help to further reduce localisation.
  • The tilt angle in which the tweeter is pointing to MLP may not be optimal/ suffice, and might contribute to some localisation. At your MLP, what height does the tweeter “firing line” currently land?
  • The footers for your centre, esp the rear footers, might not give enough separation from the tv console. And it might muddy your centre’s sound. U could use bigger and higher footers to have better separation from the console. Something like the below (cost efficient and solid rubber), or you can explore using the smaller isoacoustic stands (but i doubt if the isoacoustic stands could fit due to your available height clearance limitation):
    Monotaro | Online Tool Shop - Best Price and Quality
    ISO Stands - IsoAcoustics

Highly recommend to try the following (all are vital):

1. Raise your centre as much as your TV allows without blocking the view of the screen from your MLP. e.g. thru’ a wooden/ cork/ rubber blocks or planks.
  2. Angle tilt your centre such that the tweeter firing line points to slightly above your head at the MLP position.
  3. Use bigger and more solid footers. If u intend to use the isoacoustic stands, they are great and it can elevate and tilt.
  4. shift your coffee table aside during HT time and calibration time if u can, because the table surface might give unwanted sound reflections from your centre speaker.

And, recalibrate. The key thing is the placement, angling tilt and isolation from the tv console.

If u optimise this 3, and do a good calibration, it shld give u a better overall sound coming out of your centre speaker. And the centre speaker sound should also seem like coming more from your tv screen and less from the bottom of your tv. This is not easy to achieve but can be done with hard work. :slight_smile: hope this helps

1 Like

From me:

1. Footer height should be OK… you can try without your speaker grill when doing cal.
  2. To include the coffee table when you are doing calibration because it is permanently
    located there.
  3. Change rug to a bigger size and thicker. Rug is good to damp/reduce reflections.
  4. You can put CD or bluray rack around there (arrange your CDs or blurays). Can be
    act as a ‘diffuser panels’
  5. Use Dspeaker antimode 2.0 or Minidsp if possible.
  6. If possible, consider to add one more subwoofer to handle living room.

Good luck for trying and re-calibration again.

1 Like

You can always go for this…

2 Likes

Another good news for AVM users. I just found out the ARC room correction uses 192/24 sampling rate natively, such high resolution and processing power it came as a big surprise to me. The only other processor now using 192/24 is the Trinnov Altitude 32. Just found out from AVS & other forum

Another +1 for Anthem AVM. Boy this processor is really impressive, doesn’t fail to impress

No wonder they were bang on accurate every single time I run ARC G, I can understand why now.

Also very surprised how good the DSU processing is on the AVM90, fantastic processing quality it’s so realistic with the upmixing algorithm

Some extracted info below :point_down:

very impresive.

What effect does this sample rate have on the sonic result?
In the video of the comparison between Anthem and Trinov there were sections that were heard well and clearly and in Anthem they were hardly heard if at all. And this is a very significant and very important difference.
As a listener and viewer, I would like to receive the full details and certainly not to miss any detail in the presentation of the details.

Thanks @desray and @Whitesox.
I will try your suggestions.
According to my experience I will leave the coffee table in the living room, I think the calibration should adress the coffee table (reflection).

Thanks but I do not like the look of it

Those of you, where the setup in the living room.
Do you have accoustic panels? If you do, can you share a picture? I really like “artnovion” “avalon”