*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Below is the FR taken using REW with no smoothing applied. Have 3 subs ( 2 front + 1 rear ) integrated as 1 using a miniDsp 2X4 HD. Did ARC then auto phase. Crossover was set at 80Hz by ARC. No dips peaks in the sub to mains crossover as well as the sub region. There are dips though from around the 140Hz to 300Hz region specially from 185Hz-240Hz. Any advice to help improve the response? Thanks.

Are you asking for advice from ARC perspective or bass response in general?
Since this is already a combined output, I assumed there is already some EQ or shaping done on the miniDSP?

From HT perspective, I would not be too bothered with anything above 120Hz as most common sub crossover setting would be around 60-100Hz… thus all response beyond that is irrelevant (ie not used/no impact).

On paper, the response is pretty solid, the dip between 50-90Hz is pretty shallow and ARC can easily fix that I would think.

1 Like

I’m asking from the ARC perspective. Yes a house curve was applied by using room gain+deep bass boost. Also EQ was limited to 500Hz. I have no complaints on the bass response…pretty even from 140Hz and below. On the 80Hz crossover region it’s quite good as well. My concern are the dips on the mid bass region. Arc doesn’t seem to have corrected. I’m not sure but I think those dips don’t show up in the ARC PDF file but when I checked via REW it’s there. My suspicion is it might be SBIR related?

What is SBIR?

Is the chart a combined FR for your L+R + sub?

How do you measure this on REW?
Single L or R channel or combine L+R channel?

Those dips are most likely due to room, speaker + MLP interaction.
So it’s quite difficult to analyse without a clear visual of all these parameters.

Are your room treated? Usually higher freq can be improve with proper diffusion and absorptions at 1st reflections.

SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response)
Is the chart a combined FR for your L+R + sub?-Yes
How do you measure this on REW?
Single L or R channel or combine L+R channel? Combine L+R

Are your room treated? Yes
Usually higher freq can be improve with proper diffusion and absorptions at 1st reflections-Front half of the room is treated with absorption panels…the rooms decay time is just a little over 200ms which is already on the dead side

Anyways it’s not really an issue for me since the most important thing I think is to have an even bass response plus a good sub to main integration which shows that in my 80Hz crossover region there’s barely a dip. I was just curious to know if there’s anything that I can improve upon.

Short answer…no.

1 Like

I wonder what the long answer is :rofl:

Longer answer is…“nope”. :expressionless:

2 Likes

Thanks to a bro whom shared this APP and I tested it work with my AVM 70. :slight_smile:
Hard remote put aside. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have encountered this frustrating issue encountered with 2 bros with regards to ARC genesis.
They have installed it default auto mode and cannot find the adjust curve function etc.

Need to install professional way first time if
not need set preferences to Professional mode via below ARC Preferences:

Need set the ARC Mode to PRofessional mode instead of Auto Mode

1 Like

Yes. You will need to set to Pro mode in order to make adjustments to ARC settings. Auto meaninv let ARC takes over the whole calibration “automatically”… Let the name suggest.

1 Like

AVM90 vs.AVM70 vs. Arcam AV40 vs. JBL SDP55, unfortunately in chinese

1 Like

Anthem AVM90 experience, compared to Anthem AVM70, JBL SDP55 and Acram AV40

original wopen [HD199 Video Forum](javascript:void(0):wink: 2022-06-13 11:53 Posted in Shaanxi

I used JBL SDP55 before, YAHAMA 5200 before, and Tianlong’s combined machine 6700H earlier. The protagonist of this article is a choice that most enthusiasts who are new to Europe and the United States cannot avoid. The reason why I wrote this is that the Anthem avm90 was launched in China in April, and I wanted to replace the sdp55 with a different taste, so Just bought the AV M 90 back.

The first time I came into contact with the system and software of Anthem, I couldn’t set it correctly at first, and I still used the inertia of Dirca of JBL SDP55, so I felt that Anthem ARC was very awkward and unaccustomed. The correct way to open the Anthem, I realized the characteristics of the Anthem, and I fell in love with this brand. Especially the Web UI interface, after a week, I will no longer use the remote control of Anthem. All operations can be quickly set and switched on the mobile phone browser, which is very convenient. The Web UI is easy to use for the menu setting logic, which is better than the Japanese system. Simple.

Group photo of AVM90 and SDP55

After about a week of warm-up after starting the machine, the tuning of the dual guns and the AV M 90 has already been completed. After careful debugging, the gun box has disappeared in the sound field and has become invisible. The ARC version used is the beta version 1.6.5, which has done a 5-point X-type 1 emperor position + 2 high and 2 low test, and in the professional mode, the results are manually adjusted, including the crossover point, EQ range, curve Slope and so on, I have to say that Dirca of JBL 55 is relatively simple to use. Especially after version 3.30, there is almost no manual intervention, and in the frequency band above 500hz, Dirca does not interfere at all now. The gun box is integrated with the support of BASS CONTROL. Basically, it can score 90 points. And I can get good results with SDP55 without a low tube. The dual guns only need to do the delay alignment before running Dirca.

The Anthem AVM90 is obviously not as automated as Dirca . If you don’t know how to set the measurement parameters, the result of the high probability of opening the voice is not as good as that of the SDP 55. The addition of a low tube to the AV M 90 greatly contributes to the positiveness of the final effect of ARC, and ARC will not adversely interfere with the frequency band processed by the low tube. My dual guns are German ELAC 2070×2. The guns have their own low frequency management (delay, phase, 8-segment PEQ). First, measure the curve with REW, adjust the delay, simulate a 5-point manual PEQ for the combined curve, and then put The parameters are input in the Elican APP, and the curve is measured again after the loss to see if there is any invalid EQ caused by the group delay, and the dual-cannon debugging is completed.

Yili’s own low-level management can be completed by using the APP

Later, I also tested the AVM90 automatic four cannons and two cannons, and the effect can be said to be surprising. In the process of automatic testing of the cannons, I found that the method sequence of the Anthem AVM90 running automatic two cannons and four cannons is exactly the same as that of REW, which is exactly the same. The efficiency is much higher than that of human beings. It is only necessary to reset the phase of all the guns to zero and the delay to zero before the test, put them on the preferred gun positions, and run them automatically. master. You don’t need a master to help you adjust the gun, but you only need to compare the subwoofer measurement curve of the ARC quick measurement mode, and find a good gun position in the room. You don’t even need to understand the REW gun adjustment technology, AVM90 plus ARC software can give Your low frequency performance above 90.

Using ARC’s quick measure to find gun emplacements is very convenient

Seeing is better than seeing, and my first impression of the Anthem AVM90 is mixed. Let’s talk about worry first, after all, it’s out of your own pocket. The first impression is that the AVM90 is not as immersive as the SDP55 , and the sound field is much smaller than that of the SDP55, causing the entire 3D sound field to have a squeeze. There is a sense of Marantz’s sound field. Basically, wherever the box is, the sound field boundary is there. Fortunately, the transient explosive power of the AVM90’s sound, the gorgeous high-frequency sense of luxury, and the fast, solid and textured low-frequency can suppress the SDP55, otherwise my intestines will turn blue. In the vocal dialogue, the thickness of the two machines is similar, the AVM90 articulation is clearer, the accuracy of the combination of the dialogue of the SDP55 and the position change of the characters in the scene in the scene is better, and the characters are walking from a distance in the picture. , while walking and saying that you can accurately feel the spatial changes of the dialogue, the closer you are to you, the sound pressure of the dialogue will increase linearly. I attribute this difference to the combination of Dirca’s software measurement data and DSP operation parameters. . The current beta version of ARC needs to be improved a lot, and it is very disadvantageous to have hardware quality without software assistance.

Continue to talk about the advantages of AVM90. In fact, as I have said before, Anthem AVM90 has a neutral and sound-free style, and pursues high-quality restoration of sound. It has won user recognition with high dynamics, high density and accuracy . For some dialogues and sound field thickness, there is no difference between the sound thickness and SDP55 (ARC 5 points vs Dirca 9 points after automatic test to correct the intervention of more than 500hz). After using it for a few days, I feel that the AVM90 is only the same, it seems that I am sorry than the SDP. 55 is more expensive than 10,000 oceans. This is the flagship DAC of ESS 9038, which is a lot better than the 9028 of JBL 55. The sound quality seems to be good, but the sound field is not as good as that in my small independent audio-visual room. On the JBL SDP55, experience tells me that I need to change a space for comparison, and I can’t rush to a conclusion. So, I contacted a fellow in the same city, nicknamed Xiaoshutong, whose house is nearly 30 square meters, using Arcam AV40 (SDP55 vest machine), and the box is a set of Bailideng Prestige 95 series, so I only need to bring one Set AVM 90 in the past on it. So on the weekend, Xiaoshutong arranged for his wife and children to go out to play, waiting for me to go. This is how AV40 and AVM90 meet.

Group photo of Anthem AVM90 and Yajun AV40 at Xiaoshutong’s home

In order to keep the front end from affecting the sense of hearing, I brought my customized version of the MK2 from Macau. The power cord was not changed to the American standard because the book boy’s house did not change the American standard. I temporarily replaced the head and tail of the Watt American standard with the national standard Ou Yade, and the power cord was still Minli.

When I got to Xiaoshutong’s house, I connected the AVM90 to the Pioneer player (Nongao version 9708V2 mk2) and the power amplifier, and the ARC started automatically. The debugging process is not shown. From the measurement results of ARC, we can see that the curve of Xiaoshutong’s house is much better than that of my house. The large space and the effect of the acoustic module are obvious. Above 500HZ, it is almost a completely overlapping straight line. After tuning and opening, the kick-off series came on stage. The AVM90 sound field was finally opened, the surround was very active, and the sound field was very detailed. The positioning accuracy of the swarm attacking the UAV around the lake in “The White House Has Fallen”, and the clarity of the trajectory drawn by the space interspersed, amazed me and my fellow student Xiaoshutong, and confirmed that the main frequency of this piece is 1.6Ghz The powerful spatial calculation reduction ability of the brand-new dsp; the guns, car engines, and various sounds of “Bumblebee” being pursued by the US military cannot cover up the passionate background music. It can make people’s emotions fly. Shutong and I were immersed in it while watching and communicating. Several hours in the afternoon passed in an instant, and the experience was very good.

In an environment of at least 25 square meters, the AVM90 has an overall level that is ahead of the Yajun AV40. Whether it is an active surround sound field , 3D spatial positioning accuracy or the authenticity of the sound image, it is ahead of the Yajun . As for the dynamic sound quality performance, needless to say, it is far ahead. The AVM90 has a high signal-to-noise ratio and a large dynamic range. Watching movies at low volume still has a good sense of stimulation. The strong dynamic of weak sounds will cause the sound to be loud in the sense of hearing. In fact, it is only a large range of sound changes. The slices are not boring. None of the machines I have used have this level. The same gunshot at high volume is much stronger than the air burst of other preamps I have used, which is especially exciting. In the space less than 20 square meters, the performance of the Anthem AVM90 will be discounted. As mentioned earlier, the sound field cannot be opened, resulting in a squeezing feeling. This machine is prepared for large spaces. In any case, I am still very happy with this comparison result, because I will move next year, and the new house has an independent space of 6 × 4.5 × 3.2 meters, which can exert the full strength of this machine.

I wanted to post this experience for a long time, but a Shanghai enthusiast couldn’t get his AVM90 in time because he was sealed at home . In a hurry, he placed an order and bought another Anthem AVM70 for the dealer to deliver it to me. , and trust me very much, let me make a comparison between the Anthem 90 and 70, so I received the Anthem 70 and continued to compare it for a week . This comparison is very exciting. I also saw in the ANTHEM official link discussion thread on AVS that foreign fans really want to know what the difference is between them. Thanks to this fan for the first comparison experience on the whole network feel .

First of all, there is no difference between AVM70 and AVM90 in terms of sound style. In contrast, the sound of 70 is slightly dry, while the sound of 90 will be moist and durable. This difference exists in streaming music and movies. Big brother is big brother, which is in line with my previous expected. However, the biggest difference is not here, but after debugging at 70, I feel that there is a big difference from watching movies at 90. The sound field of 70 is wide, which is similar to that of SDP55 in my small room, indicating that the chant is basically complete. Understand the performance of this DSP. For watching movies in a small space, the overall difference between 70 and 90 is not large. In large space, 90 can definitely win. The surround activity and imaging ability of 90 are stronger than that of 70. This should be the benefit brought by the new DSP. TI’s previous generation DSP chips were used by Storm mark2 (2 dsp) SDP55, AV4 40, Anthem 70, Akili muse (used in the second version after 2020), and HTP-1, and the 90 DSP is the latest One generation, corresponding to far more than 16-channel computing power. However, this DSP is too new, and the hymn has not yet had time to digest it. From the ARC automatic test results, 90 and 70 are in the same space, and the distance setting values ​​are completely different, that is, the DSP calling parameters are completely different. Cause the sound field to change with the size of the environment, and the use is limited. However, judging from the flagship positioning of Anthem AVM90, this setting is also in line with its positioning, especially the subwoofer that supports 4 completely independent channels shows that this machine is prepared for large spaces, and I am looking forward to TI in the future. And Anthem gives the DSP algorithm upgrade program update, that will be a thing to look forward to.

What is the difference between AVM70 and Yajun AV 40? I think many friends who want to enter the European and American entry-level pre-level have this question in their hearts. Let me briefly talk about this question. AV40 has a more realistic sound field immersion, 3D space display ability is better than AVM70, AVM70’s sound dynamics is better than AV 40, with more violent low frequency and more exciting high frequency and more pleasant sound, which one to buy? I personally recommend Anthem AVM70, the main reason is the ease of use of the Web UI, but if you are a novice and don’t know how to debug, then AV40 may sound more pleasing than Anthem. Anthem is picky about the environment and tends to make bad sounds. It’s better to use the acoustics module to do some optimizations. Dirca is indeed easier to use than ARC and more close to the people, but the upper limit of Dirca is not higher than that of ARC, because Dirca has a limitation, that is, the multi-channel sound sampling cannot exceed 48Khz. This is when many DTS concerts use 96Khz tracks. , Anthem or other brands of machines that don’t use Dirca will clearly win. Generally speaking, which preamp to choose depends on the price. This is the price after full competition in the market. You can’t go wrong with the money you spend.

Now that the pre-production stage of the theater can no longer just look at the hardware quality, don’t you see that Chuangnuo is almost invincible by relying on software + PC? Therefore, for Anthem, what is most needed now is to improve the software capabilities of ARC, and to better combine software and hardware. If it can form a whole in 3D space (in fact, it is also very good at present), it would be great. Now AVM90 has With this DSP with super computing power, the flagship DAC decoding of 32Bit 768Khz, the ultra-high signal-to-noise ratio and 19-channel true balance and high dynamic output brought by a new current source power supply and improved analog circuit, plus The unique ability of fully automatic four-gun and double-gun adjustment (the only one within the pre-level price of 100,000 yuan), once the software is more suitable for dsp, it will be very, very expected. The AVM90 still has a lot of potential to tap.

3 Likes

what model is that Pioneer? is it a new 4k player from pioneer?

China clone

Thks buddy, by any chance do u have a link to this china clone pioneer player? I don’t want to spoil this thread about Anthem AVR’S…
Would love to get my hands on this pioneer clone.
Thks n cheers.

The pricing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

AVM90 delivery next week ! Finally !

The work begins all over again……

3 Likes

Interesting :thinking:
Just available to yourself I guess?