*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Great :+1: :ok_hand:

No, I am in fact using 2 Minidsp 2x4hd even though I’m using Trinnov. Though I can separate them but l do prefer Trinnov to still view them as 1 big sub.

Reason being, BEQ. Or, I’m just being lazy to calibrate again. There are many ways to do it nevertheless.

Ok great…actually I’m such a big fan of Gene over at Audioholics and that’s why I’ve followed his advice that for him he prefers to limit the AVR’s freq range be it ARC or Audyssey to around the 500hz area for the speakers ( Schroeder Freq ). As for the bass region/sub I did try to allow ARC down to 15hz but when I did it introduced a dip at around 50hz-60hz. When I limited it to 80hz that dip was gone.

Thanks for the clarification. Your method and concept are sound based on my experience. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. I agreed wholeheartedly that one should not be fixated in getting the flattest response but rather let your ears be the jury and judge at the end of the day. Graphs help us find the root cause but as long as we know how to interpret the charts and it serves it’s functions helping you understand what, why and how it could help you with your quest to make your system better, it has did its part. A little bump and dips are acceptable as long as it does not have a big variation in SPL of say a 10db drop.

2 Likes

Oh yes, with that kind of investment…I expect Trinnov to be in a league of it own. I’m looking forward to hear the Trinnov in action myself at bro Wind place.

1 Like

Agreed…many ways to skin a cat, crudely put it. :joy:

That’s why no one system is the same…you need to experiment yourself for your system. The reason why some of the advice work on some but not able to replicate the same success for others is because of the way ARC works…the underlying fundamental of ARC is the way it’s calibration interacts with the room mode where the latter is different for everyone. For instance, matrix applied a tilt of -6 but that does not mean other have to do it. He’s trying to resolve a particular set of issue specific in his own setup. This is the beauty of ARC offering that level of flexibility for end users to experiment.

Just hope some of the pesky bugs will be addressed soon by Anthem so that users need not find inventive ways to go around it. :joy:

3 Likes

Bro, do you use miniDSP to EQ your subs on top of consolidating all subs as one plus BEQ?

bro, how did you detect the dip, through REW or Genesis? and the dip is found at sub channel only, or main speaker channel (main+sub)? if the former, that’s odd, if the latter, could it be due to phase mis-alignment between main and sub.

true, based on my limited knowledge on Trinnov, it’s extremely flexible in EQ almost any frequency, and create any kind of house curves manually, the premium Trinnov users paid is the software, the hardware is very much just an intel processor based computer…lol

managed to find the REW measurement before EQ (orange color curve) and after EQ (highlighted green curve). after EQ one dropped ~8dB from 20Hz to 90Hz

I try to minimize the EQ I used (just 3 PEQs), as you can see from below screenshot:

1 Like

Agreed too.

If u do HC using minidsp (vs HC using room eq) , one risk we face is the subs and speakers’ timing/impulse might be misaligned after HC is introduced using the minidsp.

1 Like

Well main purpose is to gain match, time alignment, impulse, phase correct, last will be to REW EQ for a better response.
Reason being

1. All the subs already “optimized” to my living room

2. Less work for Trinnov to “flat” the response since it’s being done at minidsp side, which means way more headroom to implement house curve in Trinnov.

Just the 2 consideration above will allow you to have more flexibility to “play” with the sub to the response you want.

And of course the BEQ should I decide to use it. Not necessary to load BEQ for all movies in my opinion.

With number 1 implemented, I do not need to worry about changing processor, changing speakers or consider “settling” the sub first then do calibration. As the all the sub is already considered “optimized”.

I hope my explanation is understandable :sweat_smile:

Oh yes. Flat response is definitely not nice lol. It just enable individual to tune it to taste.

Lol… Poor cat it is then… As long as one gets good sound to own a liking. Doesn’t matter what animal being skinned lol

Likewise, i wanna hear yours too☺️

Yes, that’s the correct concept. In fact, if the placement of the subwoofer(s) in your listening place is so good, there is very little need to use miniDSP to fix peaks and valleys (dips), especially so for peaks. Most conventional room EQ like Audyssey will be able to fix that. For huge dips that are > 6dB, you are better off relocating the subwoofers or shift your MLP by a few inches forward or backward. Trial and error and use REW to measure the response curves or in this case, use the Quick Measure feature provided in ARC Genesis.

3 Likes

understand but just wondering whether have you fully utilised Trinnov’s potential, you may try to remove miniDSP out of the equation, to see whether Trinnov is doing a much better job than pre-EQ by miniDSP, after all, EQ is the value of Trinnov and users pay the premium for.

2 Likes

No not tried yet. As I really want to enjoy my “fruits of labor” for time being. :sweat_smile:

Regardless, I would like to think the end result will somehow be the same or perhaps negligible difference. Since what’s being done for calibration is all about flattening the amplitude, correcting phase, having accurate impulse and time alignment regardless of any room calibration, audyssey, ARC, Room perfect, Dirac, you name it.

Since Trinnov supports 20 channels now compared to last time 16 channels by utilizing the unused coaxial output, I can separate out the subs from Minidsp and use Trinnov to “gel” the subs with rest of speakers. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak… this really need to find the right time and “feel” to carry the task out.:sweat_smile: But yes, you are correct that Trinnov will do a better job than me and I’m just being “extra” lol

I’ve heard Trinnov side are looking at implementing options for BEQ feature but I guess it’ll take time though. Something like what Monoprice HTP-1 can do.

ARC really nailed it this time and so so many raved about it. It’s really intriguing to hear and for me to check out what other features and options it has. I can’t wait to receive any invite from members here to hear it☺️

1 Like

This I agree have to relax and listen enjoy first. :slight_smile:
Most imporant is we like the sound and feel etc. as compared regards to measurements tweaking

2 cents.