LG Display (TV/Projector) Owner Thread

There is a big difference post calibration with the PJ. Especially with autocal 3D LUT set to fixed 9 /13. Even on auto cal using (106 points) lightning lut vs fixed 9(1700+ points) I can see a big difference

Go with fixed 9 at least for SDR calibration when using autocal

with manual calibration, it cannot get you to that levels. It will be much nicer than out of the box settings, but auto cal is the way to go.

Oh yes, and once 3d LUT calibration is complete, CMS module though not greyed out, will not work. Grayscale module is greyed out

As mentioned, it is more of a “thing” for the DLP. Epson’s 3 LCD utilize 3 RGB panels to resolve billions of pixels, hence provide a much more uniform and sharper imagery. DLP can also do sharp if done right. DLP can have 1 DLP or 3 DLP chipset, the latter is of course more expensive and expect higher color fidelity and sharpness if done right but it can also cause color fringing if the DLP not misaligned over time. Recall Marantz VP 1080p Projector of the past that cause a bomb!!!

Both LCD and DLP, in particular, are especially great giving the highest lumens in projection. This is why LCD projector has always reigned in data projectors targeted at businesses and schools.

Now comes the hybrid model - i.e. LCoS which is to combine the best of both worlds, meaning DLP and 3 LCD panels. It has both reflective and transmissive elements. Transmissive is what used by JVC which reduces straying lights thereby giving us deeper blacks and higher percieved CR. There is a reason why JVC DiLA is the “King of Contrast” with Sony SXRD coming in close. What Sony does better than JVC is the ability to add wide color gamut (WCG) w/o the need of a filter which makes it much “brighter” than JVC when we compared an “even” lumens ground. This is why Sony’s colors or rather their Triluminous Colors is so much more vivid and impactful when it comes to brighter scenes.

1 Like

Actually DLP is far sharper that Epson 3lcd.
With epson you see a screen door effect that is rather dismal.
With the LG hu810p laser projector even though it is not native 4k can measure up to almost any native 4k projector without any real noticeable difference, I’ve tried this before.
I think laser is the future of light source for protection and I think once they find a way to add it to LCOS and boost the lumens those LCOS projectors will be impossible to beat.
For me the closest thing to the LCOS is DLP with sharpness hands down, that is why most directors and movie theaters all use DLP. Also DLP has no motion artifacts that affect other tech. I know that this is a hotly debated thing in the projector world.
It’s kind of like speakers, they are very subjective. To each his own and let us all rejoice in the home theaters we have amassed as this is far superior that hanging a TV and calling it home theater :grin::ok_hand::clap:

1 Like

You are right on the money that cinema prefers DLP projection over other projection technology. Mostly because of it higher lumens projection from a further distance and a wider screen ratio of coverage…every lumens count! For 3D cinema, DLP still reign supreme because of its fast refresh rate and like you mentioned, no motion artefacts which can cause parallax errors or 3D “ghosting” when watching a 3D movie.

I couldn’t agree more with this statement…regardless of the projection technology, the 3 types that we have had discussed over the years - LCD, DLP from TI and LCoS (excluding LED) will continue to be the benchmark in cinema/home projection. Laser illumination is definitely the way to go…here’s hoping it will be cheaper to produce as we attain economies of scale in production.

1 Like

Ya totally agree, laser is the way forward, and in LG with such solid firmware and controls with 2 models at usd2.9 & $3.9k respectively, this is really an option tor those considering an upgrade from TV to PJ. It’s reasonable pricing for quality , cannot ask for more at this stage

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:Spot on!!!

:metal::ok_hand:Rock Out with the lights out :grin:

Dang. U guys are making me drool for this LG PJ…

Let you drool a little more lol.

Uncalibrated SDR for mine with some ambient light

1 Like

Really drool until running out of saliva

The below is the calibrated LLDV Netflix, absolutely stunning video Netflix only

Transformers earth rise !

Damn nice Wei this PJ post calibration….colours like 16bit colours, so much depth and richness, no over saturation… very very nice, beautiful HDR

Damn nice man, no regrets at all getting this PJ.

1 Like

The HDR calibration on this LG laser PJ is a huge success, it’s very good.

The autocal feature works nicely and it’s controls for execution works as well. I can see a clear difference before and after HDR calibration.

Very satisfied, I think it’s definitely worth paying the extra grand and getting in the HDR colorimeter and software to calibrate the screen

2 Likes

Very nice to hear!

Wow. The image quality is stunning.

I esp like the nature ones u posted. Its like my LG OLED tv expanded unto a big screen.

Last night I had the chance to compare HDR on the built in Disney + app from the LG AU810PB, vs Disney + LLDV played back through vertex 2 on the Xbox series X.

Both modes calibrated with the same settings using the same HDR picture mode . I played back the same content, “Legends” and made a comparison.

It was day and night difference between HDR and LLDV

Contrast wise, colour depth, shadow details, they were all way superior to HDR using the built in app, way way superior. Very big difference in quality using the Xbox series x for tone mapping

The HGiG mode instead, made video look slightly darker, less punchy, compared to dynamic tone mapping. So the dynamic tone mapping function on the LG, should be turned on & used when using HDR picture mode

To conclude, the picture quality looked way nicer on Disney + with Xbox series X compared to the built in app in the AU810PB projector itself. It’s like really worth it having HDR kinda quality. In the past, I’ve always preferred REC709 with SDR. I had tons of issues with HDR . The HDR was never better than SDR. Gone were the days. With this LG, you want to have HDR or LLDV, they really shine when comparing it to SDR

In my case now, it’s Xbox dynamic tone mapping at source + LG AU810PB projector dynamic tone mapping …. Beautiful ……

I wouldn’t trade this pj for any other projector in the market now… no matter the price, it is that good

1 Like

My next attempt this week, is to calibrate the screen for SDR2020. So I can have a good comparison and understanding between SDR709 vs SDR2020

I’m really impressed with HDR in rec2020 and I think it’s worth going for SDR2020. Will segregate the picture mode , so we will have filmmaker mode (original out of box best pic mode), expert Dark in gamma 2.4 , cinema mode in BT1886, final one will be Cinema home mode in gamma 2.4 with SDR2020

I can then witness which looks best among the lot

So far the calibrated version looks quite similar between the various pic modes , but if I observe carefully, I actually prefer the one with gamma 2.4

Ok completed SDR 2020 , here is comparison

Rec709

SDR 2020

Same order ,709 first then 2020

I’m not sure how the auto cal is working with sdr2020 as surely it’s not able to hit all the points, I went with matrix lut, looked horrible. Swap out to lightning LUT, much better.

Overall, not impressed with SDR2020 on the LG AU810PB, maybe the calibration method needs some tweaking. No idea. But every option for calibration was using SDR2020 colour space

In short, SDR rec709 is good

HDR 10 looked better

LLDV is the best, no horse run….

I must disclose that in the above calibration process, the grayscale was perfect, similar to SDR709 calibration , however with SDR 709 for colours, I was using Fixed Grid 13pts to calibrate the colours, it measures 2,197 points, (13 to the power of 3) instead of lightning lut that measures 106 points. I did the lightning lut calibration for SDR2020. So it’s a bit unfair to comparing 106 points vs 2,197 points…

Nonetheless if time permits, I may make 1 more attempt at Fixed Grid 13 for SDR2020, it’s approximately 3 hours long !! Depending on how fast the meter reading….

More or less settled down now, HDR is brilliant on this pj, the best I’ve seen so far

Later today will be testing game of thrones season 8 episode 3, in bluray. One of the most challenging scenes , if it can pass this test, it most certainly can pass any other content… sort of like the ultimate content to test

This one is “Pian Jiak” colour… if I was a vendor selling projector, I will standby this mode for the colour crazy group and play animation like Croods 2, animation like trolls etc, those with rich colours… drool… will be hard for them to tell, unless purists are looking at it, they will know this is Inaccurate

Last night I had some time to resume my favourite drama, episode 10 of the flash season 7. When I fired up with the calibrated LG, to my shock, the quality is like improved leaps and bounds !

What used to be reds like this on the previous PJ

Is now showing reds like this below on the new pj

See until drool man, the black levels is Soo good on this pj. Even the hair, I can see how thick their hair and the individual strands .on his black coat, him could see the buttons clearly, so good deep inky blacks but at the same time no loss of shadow details

Even on rec709, the colours has so much depth and contrast was brilliant

I’ve been following this drama for 7 straight seasons, this is the first time I’m experiencing such a big improvement

All in all, the autocal function is far far superior to manual method of calibrating the screen

If we have a Cedia Singapore , this will take product of the year 2021 for me!