LG Display (TV/Projector) Owner Thread

Here is the latest updates now, Mini LED TV, LG’s QNED TV

Info here

Until recently, the term “Mini LED” would have been unfamiliar to all but the most ardent of TV technology buffs. Although talked about in tech circles for years, the term has only just started to enter the wider public consciousness, spurred by the fact that several TV manufacturers are now either showcasing, rolling out or communicating their intention to launch TV products with this feature.

In this article, we will take a look at what’s behind this growing interest in Mini LED TVs.

An image showing LG's TVs by structure, from CRT TVs to backlit LCD TVs and then self-lit OLED TVs

OLED’s dominance in the premium TV category is primarily due to its self-lighting pixels, independent dimming control and lack of backlighting for an incredibly thin profile unmatched by any other high-end TV technology. The LED-backlit LCD TV space, however, remains more competitive. Within this more accessibly-priced market, LG and other TV makers continue to develop a variety of technologies in an effort to bring consumers TVs with better picture quality primarily focusing on improving contrast and color reproduction. The emergence of Mini LED as the next step in the evolution of LCD TV is a direct consequence of this R&D effort.

Next Level Contrast: The Evolution of Backlight

The two directions of evolution for LCD TVs, one being via backlight and the other via LCD Cell

Backlight TVs have been evolving their light source technologies with advancements like CCFL (Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lamp), Edge LED or Direct LED, offering improved performance. Also, technologies like Local Dimming and FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) are increasingly more advanced ways to express better contrast.

Mini LED technology “miniaturizes” the TV’s light source, making it much smaller. The smaller size allows manufacturers to pack more LEDs in the same TV screen size for increased brightness compared to regular LCD TVs. Also, having more dimming zones allows for more precise control of that brightness. As such, a Mini LED TV can achieve deeper blacks and a higher contrast ratio than other types of LED TV. Scenes both light and dark, benefit greatly from these performance upgrades, appearing more real.

LCD Cell: The Evolution of Color

As LCD technology evolved, it offered better and higher resolution and color. Quantum dot and NanoCell technologies are examples of ways to increase color performance. By developing the combined Quantum NanoCell color technology, LG has taken the best of both Quantum dot and NanoCell to further enhance the ability to represent and create outstanding color in an LCD TV.

And LG combined the best LCD light source with the best color enhancement technologies, by creating LG QNED Mini LED TV.

An image showing LG's most advanced LCD TVs with the new backlit LG QNED Mini LED TV second to only LG's self-lit OLED TVs

LG’s new, flagship 86-inch 8K model featuring Mini LED technology comes with a backlight unit composed of almost 30,000 tiny LEDs and nearly 2,500 dimming blocks, for outstanding brightness and an impressive 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, unheard of performance for an LCD TV.1

With 8K OLED offering self-lit pixels that provide perfect black, infinite contrast over 100 million subpixels, no current display technology is the equal of OLED.2 However, Mini LED offers the best picture quality of any LCD TV to date and represents a compelling new option for consumers seeking to upgrade their viewing experience.

1 Like

Now Samsung will be joining the OLED family soon, with help from LG

OLED Rulezzzzzzz

1 Like

Heads up, the new laser phosphor from LG looks promising ! For the price and packs tons of feature with hdmi 2.1 , 2700 lumens

Two models, one is usd2,999 pixel shift 4k Hu810PW, another is usd3,999 native 4k AU810PB

810P

HU810PW

Specs by the Numbers

Display Type: DLP
Resolution: 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) pixel-shift
Screen Size: 40” to 300"
Image: 150"@14.1 ~ 22.6ft, 100"@9.5 ~ 15ft
Zoom: 1.6X
Aspect Ratio: 16:9/Original/Full Wide/4:3/Vertical Zoom
Lens Shift: Horiz ± 24% | Vert ± 60%
Brightness: Up to 2700 ANSI Lumens
Contrast Ratio: 2,000,000:1 (dynamic)
Lamp Type: Dual Laser (R LD, B LD + G Phosphor)
Lamp Life: Up to 20,000 hrs
Noise (Typical): 26/27/28 dB (A)
Trumotion: Yes
3D: No
HDR: HDR10 & HLG
Keystone: Manual Keystone (Vertical)
HDMI: 3 Ports, HDMI 2.1 with eARC
HDCP: 2.2
USB Type A: 2 (USB 2.0)
RJ45: 1
Screen Share: Yes
Apple AirPlay: Yes
Bluetooth: Yes
Weight: 24.3 pounds
Dimensions: 13.3" x 16.1" x 5.7"
Power Consumption: 300W

AU810PB

features of the black AU810PB:

– Native Resolution 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)

– Brightness (ANSI Lumen) 2700

– Color Depth up to 12 bit, covering 97% of the DCI-P3 color space

– Projection lens – Manual Zoom 1.6x

– Projected Image – Screen Size 40″~300″

– Lens Shift V ±55%/H ±22%

– Light source – Type Dual Laser (R LD, B LD + G Phosphor)

– Life High Brightness 20,000 Hrs – Life Economic 30,000 Hrs.

– HDR HDR10 and HLG HDR

– HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping Yes (Dynamic, frame by frame) Adaptive Contrast (Dynamic Black)

– Digital Keystone Correction V-Keystone Real Cinema (up to 4096 x 2160)

– TruMotion Yes (up to 4096 x 2160)

– HDMI 3 total (1 HDMI 2.1 and 2 HDMI2.0b)

– HDMI eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)

– HDMI ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)

– USB Type-A 2 (USB2.0)

– Smart user interface webOS 5.0

– ATSC OTA and QAM Cable tuners built-in

– Built-in Sound – Output 5W + 5W Stereo Sound Compatibility

– Dolby Atmos compatible Yes (Pass through)

– Audio out S/PDIF 1 (Optical)

– Bluetooth Sound out

– WiSA wireless speaker capable

– IP control RJ45

– Voice Recognition – Thru MIC on Magic Remote LG ThinQ + Google Assistant + Amazon Alexa Voice Recognition + Homekit Compatible

– Screen Share (Wireless Mirroring w/MiraCast supported device), Airplay 2 (iOS/Mac Video Casting, mirroring, Audio Streaming)

– USB Host (Movie, Music, Photo)

– Net Size (W x D x H) 13 14″ x 16 1/8″ x 5 3/4″

– Net Weight 24 1/4 lbs.

Additional features of the black AU810PB

– RS232C control

– IP control

– 12V Trigger

– CalMAN Auto Calibration

– WiSA 5.1 channel capable

– All matte black finish

Not sure if the AU810PB is native 4k ! As far as I recall, there is no native 4k chips for DLP … but I could be wrong

Very tempted !!

Check out the video, settings are very similar to LG OLED TVs , if u own it, u will understand

Quick catch up review

So just went through the details, it is not Native 4k ! But using pixel shift

On the difference for $1k more , probably not worth it in my case and for some. $2999 version worth considering , if u can afford to calibrate yourself .

Quick Q&A with LG engineer obtained from some site

WWS: Let’s start here… how much?

Gregg: There are two models. The HU810PW is the over-the-counter, consumer version, which comes in white and goes for $2,999… and the one we’re talking about today, the AU810PB, or “AU” for short, is the custom installation version, which comes in black and costs $1K more.

WWS: And that extra grand buys me… what?

Gregg: WISA, onboard, which is an industry first. And that’s huge – a smart projector that offers 5.1 high-resolution wireless audio, auto display calibration (with CalMan), IP support for all the major home networking apps… so you can boot up your favorite show or turn off the lights or check your security system, all by voice alone… something no projector could do, until now. (WISA = Wireless Speaker and Audio.)

WWS: Both also come with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant?

Gregg: Absolutely. All around, both models are phenomenal values.

WWS: Spoken like a true sales guy.

Gregg: No, really… this is not a parity product – the AU outperforms projectors that cost thousands more… and I’d argue that right now, nothing else is as futureproof. Keep in mind, projectors in general are typically designed to work as display devices only, meaning that the projector is only expected to produce the image from some HDMI device connected to it. In that regard, projectors are more like computer monitors than Smart TVs. LG breaks from that tradition with a fully connected / Smart TV experience – within a home theater projector.

WWS: So this is a first?

Gregg: Some competitive projectors have started to integrate smart functionality, but it’s often rather crude or rudimentary in implementation. In some cases, apps have only allowed 480P or HD quality streaming without HDR… even if the streaming service offers higher capabilities like 4K and HDR, even in 4K projectors. With LG you will get the highest level of streaming performance that service offers and our product technically supports.

WWS: Okay, let’s talk hardware. The single most important thing to our customers is picture quality, so talk about the AU’s dual laser light source. How and why is that a good thing?

Gregg: For starters, it does away with the old RGB spinning wheel approach, which means better color fidelity, better color saturation, and no more “rainbow” effect. The end result is a wider color gamut with deeper/richer saturation – a near-perfect match for the color gamut utilized on HDR content, which is definitely noticeable. This is a “not-so-subtle” improvement.

WWS: And how does the AU’s 2700 lumens stack up against similarly priced competitor products?

Gregg: 2700 lumens is a solid figure for today’s home theater projectors. Add to that, a dual laser (as opposed to lamp-based ) comes with other advantages: fast start-up, fast shut-down, a 20K hour lifespan which means you won’t be replacing lamps over the product life.

WWS: A lot of customers liken lumens to horsepower, where more is always better. Is that the case?

Gregg: Yes and no. If you want to drive a really big screen or watch with ambient lighting in a room with windows, then yes, the extra light horsepower can really make a difference. But brighter isn’t always better. If your native contrast isn’t high, and/or you don’t have an iris or adaptive contrast system in play, bright scenes will look great, but dark scenes will be hazy and washed-out due to elevated black levels.

WWS: Adaptive contrast allows the projector to analyze every frame to reset for an optimal black level. Correct?

Gregg: Exactly. And it’s unique, but not exclusive… though it’s indicative of a higher performance projector… and another differentiator, compared to models that do not modulate the intensity of light sources based on scenes. If a projector is too bright during a dark scene, black and shadowy areas can appear foggy. By lowering the illumination during dark scenes, black renders more deeply and creates a richer / darker appearance… which makes for a more realistic representation. I was really jazzed to find out that both iris control and adaptive contrast were incorporated into the new AU810BP.

WWS: Speaking of iris control, LG’s promotional video notes: “a user can control brightness from the iris mode to get a better black level.” Is that really unique?

Gregg: Again: unique, but not exclusive, as most competitors don’t offer this control option. The benefit: you can tune the brightness of the image to match the environment, so lower for dark rooms or brighter for rooms with ambient lighting.

WWS: The specs say: “up to a 300” screen?” That’s 25 feet wide… who has a room big enough to handle a 25’ screen? And even if you do: how well does 4K hold up on a screen that large – is it still sharp if I’m sitting in the front row?

Gregg: Digital Cinemas are 4K and look amazing with giant screens. In fact, 4K has enough resolution to sit 1-foot back for every 15” of diagonal, so a 150” screen can be viewed from around 10 feet, and a 300” at 20-feet. Any closer and the pixel structure will become visible. With a 300” screen, the screen height = 148” or over 12 feet tall; more than 50% taller than a typical 8’ ceiling. Here’s the deal: with projectors it is all about balance… and with 4K, there is plenty of resolution for most customers to sit comfortably or even uncomfortably close to a very large screen and have an amazing experience. So under normal home theater setups with more reasonable screen sizes, there is certainly more resolution than necessary to make sure the image is sharp in the front row.

WWS: Bottom line, which would you recommend: a high-end OLED TV or a projector?

Gregg: I can’t answer that… it depends on your room, what you like to watch, your budget, your personal tastes, etc. But let me ask you a question in return: do you know what it’s like trying to land a helicopter on the deck of a nuclear-powered, Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, at night, during a typhoon?

WWS: No.

Gregg: Then try this: go to a World Wide Stereo store and ask to see, on a high-performance projector, the “at sea” scene in World War Z… because it will put you on that flight deck in a way no TV can. Or: watch the battle scene at the beginning of Gladiator – amazing on any TV – but on a quality projector, it’s an out-of-body experience. Plus, you come away with a much greater appreciation for the genius, power, and grandeur of the Roman empire. Here’s the deal: right now, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, and others are pumping out high-quality content that, in normal times, would debut on big AMC theaters around the country. So your only way to see it – the way you’re supposed to see it – requires a projector that fills up your peripheral vision for a thoroughly immersive experience. Don’t get me wrong – The Mandalorian on a big LG OLED TV is breathtaking. Gorgeous. But again, when a high-quality picture fills your peripheral vision, excluding all else, the overall experience is simply more powerful.

WWS: You’ve now cited 3 movie references to make your point: World War Z, Gladiator, and The Mandalorian. Do you ever watch romantic comedies?

Gregg: What’s a romantic comedy? Does Shrek count? Or Raising Arizona? (Kidding.) Of course, I’ll watch a good romantic comedy and anything Pixar on the big screen = goosebump city. I’m a photographer, videographer, video editor, and rabid movie watcher… so yeah, I eat this stuff up. Movies are what got me interested in this industry.

Quick summary from this guy, not bad. Not really the best Pj for black levels, but does extremely good HDR and dynamic tone mapping …… for the price… looks :muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

1 Like

If the AU810 does not use a color wheel, is RBE eliminated?

Yes, if this is true, then you RBE will be a thing of the past. AFAIK for the longest time, most DLP based projector will utilize color wheels. Is it truly no color wheel at all or is it an “improved” version that will reduce RBE? I will reserve my comments for now until I see the product in action.

More reviews

Interesting, very keen now to get one unit in to Singapore

Not sure if it’s worth the extra grand for wisa and auto calman since I’m using chromapure

Tons of controls available for calibration including white balance controls, 22 point grayscale controls, CMS, ability to turn DTM on off

The guy reviewing it, “spare change”, mentioned he could see the rainbow :rainbow: effect .

Oh. Thanks.
I guess RBE is inherent in DLP chips.

Not a surprise to me…but if it is an improved version of color wheels, it should be less sensitive to most people. Besides, your eyes will adjust to RBE over time and virtually become non-existent after prolonged viewing. The only time you will see distinct RBE is when end credit rolls or you move your eyeballs or head around very fast (faster than normal). I wouldn’t say RBE is a show-stopper if anyone really wish to get this projector.

I see, personally I can’t see any rainbow, using the BenQ 5700 for some time now….

The AU810PB version comes with auto calman calibration, one would need to purchase the software separately, about $150, then use the provided test pattern generator

It allows for 1D LUT grayscale and 3D lut colour calibration, calibration is fast and good and , looks worth it, as I find one of the most important thing after getting in the PJ is to calibrate it for SDR, HDR and Dolby vision if possible. The auto cal calman allows for this! Impressive ! Since I have a HDR meter, it makes sense to go for the auto calman…

It also supports HGiG, which enhances HDR gaming. both projectors also include vertical/horizontal lens shift and an adjustable iris

Looks like the PJ to beat for 2021 at its price

Ahhh LG Singapore is not bringing in !!

Looks like only option is to ship it from overseas

Very tempted now for the switch to the AU810PB

Will share more details once I get in the unit… stay tuned this one… looks very good

Allows for 22 point grayscale adjustments, very good … lotsa controls available for adjustments

Nice. Looks promising.

Quick bring one set in to test hehe

Sourcing bro, looks really solid. I’ve seen the auto calibration from calman in action, saves us tons of time compared to manual calibration. Also allows for Dolby Vision calibration as well. Solid man….

Saw this review, but this is not an ultra short throw projector ….

1D LUT grayscale is achievable but 3D LUT is a different story altogether. At the moment, there isn’t any “reliable” colorimeter that can truly measure 3D LUT with precision. So don’t get your hopes too high.

But be mindful that this is still AFTER ALL a DLP chipset that simulate 8.3 million pixels to get as close to 4K. Mathematically speaking, this is acceptable and consider to be 4K. But contrast and blacks will never be as good as LCOS-based projection. One benefits of DLP is the fast refresh rate which may benefit gaming and of course with a new laser module and near 3,000 lumens, this will provide great HDR imagery.

Really? I just saw the video from Taylor of portrait displays using just the same meter I’m using, xrite eye one display pro 3 meter, for 3D LUT Color calibration for HDR, very impressive .

Very tempted to get one unit in now to Singapore to check out exactly how good the unit is fit HDR , dynamic tone mapping looks fantastic as well

Yes…not easy to get 3D LUT calibration right even with a good colorimeter.