LG Display (TV/Projector) Owner Thread

Fantastic news and just downloaded Calman for LG, prepping the system for the new AU810PB calibration

The software comes with newly added aurora colour engine support , for 3D LUT colour calibration

Reports are flowing in, the post calibration results are good

Really looking forward now

1 Like

Just sharing, the colorimeter I’m using is an xRite i1 Display Pro Plus meter, also known as the Xrite Eye one display 3 pro meter. The meter has been calibrated by Pro with a higher end spectroradiometer at factory before being shipped. In short, any shortfall or errors in the meter itself, is corrected by referencing against a reference spectroradiometer. It should ideally be recalibrated over time, yearly, but I suppose I can live with that

The Display 3 pro shows errors no higher than xy0.006 for both colour and white relative to a $10,000 reference spectroradiometer. It is also able to measure down to 0.001 FL, has decent speed. Not reference grade meter but very good, good enough for SDR and HDR calibration ,DV as well and is designed and specified to measure luminance accuracy at a range up to 2000 cd/m2.

Readings will be take off the front screen for best results

The meter mode will need to be set to RAW XYZ, for this LG 810PB calibration

Auto cal needs to be set to 2020 Alpha 7 mode for it to work now

Also wise to probably set to allow the delta errors settings higher to 0.8 -1 instead of default 0.5, else it will take ages to find the best combination ( if u have time to spare that’s fine)

Pattern generator is all ready with SDR,HDR, DV all in FAT32 thumb drive, together with test pattern for aligning the PJ. Everything ready to rock. Just waiting for the hardware to arrive and hook up the unit to Ethernet and obtaining the IP of the AU810PB for auto cal

1st attempt will focus on getting the system calibrated for 2 SDR profiles in dark room

SDR pushed for deep blacks
SDR specular highlights focused

Also, calibration for HDR gaming HGiG, works differently. The pattern generator needs to come from the Xbox series X. I’ll get to that later. First will get the basics done, SDR, then HDR

All ready now for the unit

1 Like

Here is the certificate of calibration, the last time we did this was in 2018, the colorimeter has been calibrated and adjusted for using a reference meter at the lab

The discrepancies out of the box :point_up:

The corrections made to align with the reference meter at lab

It’s arrived ! Surprisingly fast !! 5 days. So it’s ahead of schedule ! Just nice I’m on leave today, looking forward to it now !

Woo hoo

2 Likes

Look forward to your review on this unit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow… 5 days is fast. Enjoy your new toy bro. Hope the pq will be solid after calibration

Holy friholy !

This is by far the best HDR out of the box I’ve seen in a pj … I haven’t even calibrated anything … just simple playback from YouTube….

The HDR and dynamic tone mapping on this LG is first class, nothing I have seen before in a projector . Absolutely jaw dropping HDR on 135”

I’ll share along the way… stay tuned, the above is just a teaser pic…

Gorgeous HDR , no turning back once u get this

1 Like

A bit of work to be done in SDR and HDR, too much blue out of the box, but boy it is a killer projector!

Drool man… especially for HDR, fantastic usd3,999 pj! What a steal for the quality

The LG web os is fast and good, convenient and has that built in app

The speaker is also decent, I still get like a 3D effect from the built in speaker, checking out the videos still

The HDR is first class! No horse run

Unbelievable HDR quality from this pj! Absolutely nailed it this LG projector for HDR.

Specular highlights are very very good. Only specific spots in the scene is lighting up correctly, just like the OLED tv…

This is the best HDR I have seen in a PJ

1 Like

LoL…contain your excitement.

Hahaha…. Wow, very hard to contain the excitement, the pj is TV like on the big screen, it is the first time I’m seeing HDR done correctly on a pj.

It is also the first time I finally prefer HDR over SDR on the big screen. It has always been the reverse, but not anymore, even on 135” now

Many times, even the big guys, the HDR looks horrible out of the box, one would need some tools and calibration to get it right. And that seem to be the biggest challenge for many PJ

The LG version, right out of the box looks very good , but in some modes, needs massive correction

Overall, without even calibrating the screen, I will give this model the full recommendations and thumbs up! Absolutely stunning and jaw dropping HDR quality .

Having looked at the calibration technique and software, I would also highly recommend the LG OLED TVs from the upcoming 2021 models. The LG TVs are gonna be right up there….

They have totally nailed it for HDR, even on a PJ

1 Like

I’ve also watched Star Wars light sabre fighting scenes and mandalorian shooting laser gun demos, in those scenes, I used to have eye fatigue with the current projector, the light overall is painful for the eyes when watching on the big screen

Especially when there is movement up down left right and you get tired very fast with the light

But this time, with the LG, the tone mapping is so good to the extend the light is very controlled. The sabre fight and gun shot scenes are not too bright, and I was able to see clearly the details of the specular highlights

This is the best dynamic tone mapping I have seen from a projector. Again I have never seen such quality from projectors on dynamic tone mapping , LG got it right.

There is also another setting, “Brightest”, that one was extremely bright… too bright… some may like it, but too bright for me. It is like almost having OLED light at 65 on the OLED tv VS OLED light 33 which equates to 115nits

Very pleasant. This is officially the projector to beat this 2021, at its price ! Unbelievable! At the time of writing 15th jun21

If you are in the market for a HDR Projector , this is the one to get now….what a pity LG Singapore don’t bring in… sigh…. Fantastic stuff

1 Like

The set i have is made in Korea.

The AppStore has only 2 apps I’m familiar with, YouTube and amazon prime. Nothing else I’m familiar

Netflix is NOT AVAILABLE at the time of writing, and neither is Apple TV plus streaming app or Disney+ or viu, which is mostly available in LG Singapore store. maybe I need to find it or use the same trick method through VPN to connect to a different store to download the app. Just like the roku ultra . Still need to explore this area at a later stage. For now still have the Xbox series x

Haven’t yet dived in to that area. Playing around now. Will compile my findings soon, and try and summarise everything

Looks like this is positive news for the PJ consumers man! price point is good too, helps to give good competition.

Looking fwd to the calibration results bro for sdr hdr. Hope the delta E can be pushed very low. U

The formula for calibration now uses Delta-Error ITP method, instead of delta E CIE94 we have been using, it is far far superior in many ways

• DeltaE 1994 is based on color differences in the L* C* H* color space. It is an application-specific calculation and is commonly used in video calibration. Like DeltaE 1976, it does not take into account the fact that the human eye does not perceive differences in color the same for all colors.

• DeltaE 2000 is based on color differences in the L* C* H* color space. It is not an application-specific calculation and is commonly used in video calibration. Unlike DeltaE 1976 and 1994, it does take into account the human eye’s perceptual sensitivity at different colors.**

DeltaE ITP (formerly DeltaE ICtCp) is a color error representation format specified in the Rec. ITU-R BT.2124 standard that is used as a part of the color pipeline in video and digital photography systems for high dynamic range (HDR) and wide color gamut (WCG) imagery.

We use this one :point_up: deltaE ITP now, :muscle:t2:

Pigeon : eh hello LG, what r u doing here in Singapore ?? Balik kampong la!

Duck : haven’t you read, see my colours! I’m the alpha here…. I’m here to stay…

:grimacing:

Balcony lights on, no problem …

Stunning !

I’m very happy with the HDR performance from the pj, My Mrs is happy because we don’t have to alway close the curtains when watching a movie , projector screen is the same screen AT screen from Elite screens with gain of 1.1.

See above u be the judge…. This is just HP photo only…

2 Likes

Nice…great sharing!

Can push for it by dropping an email to LG. No harm trying if the performance of this projector is that good.

Tried earlier a few times, few different people also sent, also same answer… lazy to wait for LG Singapore… lol

Affordable pricing for the quality, really very good