LG Display (TV/Projector) Owner Thread

Google Assistant support Xbox. I have it recognised by Home and can command it to power on and off, But sometimes it just dont work.

Then I use Harmony app.

1 Like

There is an Alexa skill for Xbox. If you don’t like voice command, can use the Alexa app to control it manually on iPhone instead.

Xbox Alexa Skill

1 Like

That’s cool, they have the Alexa app, nice to have. Didn’t know about that. Maybe can explore if they have this option, thanks

Have now been fiddling with the LG HU810 for more than a week now and have dialed down my preferences. SDR was calibrated nicely after 6.5 hrs on Autocal with Calman and works well.

Dolby Vision is also now tone mapped perfectly using LLDV through the Vertex2 with LG’s Dynamic Tone Mapping turned off. I find Dolby Vision tone mapping superior to LG’s internal tone mapping. In the Vertex2, I’m using a custom DV string at 110 nits, which I measured as my projector’s peak brightness during the HDR calibration with Calman. Tested using ATV4K, Firestick Max and Panny UB820 using S&M disc. All working well. LG’s dynamic tone mapping is slightly better at curing blown highlights of bright scenes, but LLDV is much better overall with both bright and dark scenes. Disney+, Paramount+, Netflix and Prime Video all being tone mapped perfectly.

The only reason I would switch to SDR is for 4,000 nit MaxCLL HDR10 video, which is not common given that almost everything is being released in Dolby Vision. Just got in the UHD Blu Ray of Jack Synder’s Justice League in HDR10, which might be one of these bright HDR discs not in Dolby Vision. May be first movie I have to turn on SDR.

Here is the difference between the LG HU810 with HDFury vs without

HDR10, dynamic tone mapping ON

Dolby Vision LLDV, dynamic tone mapping OFF

3 Likes

What’s the source? 4K Blu-ray Disc?

Disney+

It took me awhile to get there, but I finally have my Vertex2 configured just right for the LG projector, such that I can have dynamic tone mapping turned off, but the player (eg Apple TV 4K) tone maps to the projector almost perfectly with a Dolby Vision stream using LLDV. Dolby Vision is just much better than LG’s dynamic tone mapping

Interesting…@Ronildoq and @Wind, do you also use the same technique as Sammy? What’s your take on this? I need to go back and watch that scene from Doctor Strange 2 to confirm whether LLDV and HDR10 has such a dramatic difference.

The issue is that LG’s DTM makes that scene too dark. But if you turn off DTM brightening up the scene, then bright scenes are blown out. LLDV handles that problem neatly, but you have to turn off DTM on the LG. It should be done anyway as you don’t want to tone map twice ie tone map with LLDV and then tone map again with LG DTM.

If you want to get the Dolby Vision stream, but tone map using a Lumagen or MADVR, I believe the correct way is to set the DV string to 10,000 nits, which essentially stops tone mapping in LLDV so that the Lumagen or MADVR gets the full overbright image and does its processing. Otherwise, you will be tone mapping twice.

i prefer the 1st picture…

I prefer the first picture- HDR10, dynamic tone mapping ON :slight_smile: natural details is there.

Like everyone else, I also think the second pic seems to have an issue with raised black floor. HDR or LLDV is not just about “brightening” a dark scene to “reveal” the shadow details…it maybe intentional or a choice of color palette by the Director for a particular scene. Don’t get me wrong, Doctor Strange 2 has one of the best 4K HDR I have seen so far but there are certainly dark and moody scenes that are clearly more of a design and stylistic choice. @sammy, may I ask how the brighter scene stands up using the current LLDV settings with Vertex 2. Any clipping?

I didn’t post the two pictures as a preference thing, but to illustrate the dark DTM of the LG, vs the brighter, colorful presentation when tone mapped using DV. You can also see more detail in the vortex in the center with DV. Certainly as a picture, the HDR10 looks more dramatic and may be preferred, but when i watch the DV presentation, I enjoy the brightness as i’m not straining to see the details. Some may prefer the dark presentation.

The DV presentation is very similar to 4K SDR, except for more colors e.g. brighter greens and darker reds. Our projectors have a maximum luminance of about 100 nits or less calibrated. So tone mapping 10,000 nit DV, a choice has to be made by your projector or processor. Is what you see the director’s intent? You won’t know what the directors intent was as he was probably editing with a $100k 4,000 nit professional display.

With LLDV adjusted carefully with the HD Fury, I have gotten rid of clipping on movies, especially anything on Disney+ and UHD Blu Ray. But there is still some Netflix TV content in DV like Selling Sunset, which clips. May be bad DV meta data

I prefer the first image.
It has more depth with deeper black. The second image is brighter but flatter.

I am curious, wouldn’t turn off DTM on the LG PJ shows SDR instead of HDR? That is why you see a brighter picture. A brighter picture looks good initially, but you will start noticing a flatter with less depth in the image.

HD Fury LLDV dynamically maps the content to 1000 nits (assuming you set the hdfury to 1000nits). When this is sent to the LG, the PJ still needs to tone map the 1000 nits as no PJ can do 1000 nits natively. I do know the LG DTM is dark, and it is not adjustable. I suspect the default setting may be tone mapping based on the content of >1000 nits; this leads to a darker image. On the Epson PJ I use, I get to choose a tone map from 100 nits to 10000 nits. I set it at the default of 500 nits.

Based on the photo, the 2nd photo seemed to have prominent raised blacks. I prefer the implementation of the 1st pic. But then, the photos might not be zhun due to camera’s limitation.

I prefer to see a little more shadow detail too where possible in the tone mapping without blacks overly raised.

Definitely the 1st pic. I’m using LLDV with lg tone mapping BOTH at the same time. It is so much nicer.

LLDV does the tone mapping at source, whilst the Lg’s dynamic tone mapping function is at the sink and it works by handling the display’s peak luminance capabilities. The dynamic tone mapping built in software at sink (LG) processing tells the pj when to apply this “roll off” . Remember, purpose of the tone mapping is there not to increase or decrease the dynamic range, it is merely “shifting” it.

So that is why you will see a darker image, because it is working to preserve shadows. So everything dims down to preserve that particular small scene that is 100 nits. This is especially helpful for Projectors. Especially when u will have light bleed all over in the room.

On the contrary, try pull out that horse scene from spears and munsil disc with 4k nits mastered file, then u AB LLDV vs tone mapping. Share it here, That will show u how blown out the image will be when u don’t use the dynamic tone mapping for hdr from the LG pj. The lg will receive the full “peak luminance” data from LLDV processing and it will clip the image without any “roll off” applied.

Source based tone mapping is the way to go as far as I know, with the upcoming hdmi 2.1, we will see this new feature.

What it will do is

It allows the Sink device to indicate to the Source about the target color volume it can receive. This helps the Source to optimize the image with respect to the Sink’s capability. Thus, the Source adapts to a specific display instead of adopting a fixed color range or brightness level. The Source uses a new SBTM extended metadata to inform the Sink about the mode, type of video, minimum, and peak luminance, used by Source during tone mapping.

This is a much better approach

I always watch with LLDV and dynamic tone mapping turned on. No turning back…. For me it’s a lot nicer… so much more inky…

Above is pic from Disney+ buzz light year, fantastic video quality

1 Like

Turning off DTM on the LG projector does not show SDR. You will simply get at HDR image with blown out whites, but dark scenes will be rendered with maximum shadow detail. LG’s DTM nicely prevents clipped whites, but also makes dark scenes too dark.

I set the HDFury to 100 nits, not 1,000 nits. This is close to the LG’s peak luminance that I have measured using Calman. Any higher, and I start to get blown out whites. So the PJ does not need to tone map any more. If you read the HDFury thread on AVSForum, the two experts there, Claw and Dominic Chan both recommend tone mapping from one source only. Either LLDV or the Projector/Processor. Hence, the suggestion to set the HDFury to 10,000 nits on the DV string, when you have good projector processing (such as JVC’s Frameadapt) or a Lumagen/MADVR. If you tone map twice, your results are unpredictable and basically an art rather than science.

Many projectors such as my previous BenQ W2700 do not have the ability to turn tone mapping off and you have to apply one of six curves while keeping the HDFury DV luminance stream quite high. That is why using HDFury with a BenQ is more art than science. I’m actually quite happy that the LG allows me to turn it off because I can use a low luminance string in HDFury’s DV tab and get the Dolby processor in my ATV4K to do 100% of the tone mapping.

The raised blacks are more the effect of the iPhone camera. The black level on the LG is dependent on the Iris setting. I need to bring you guys over to show you what I mean.

Yes that is correct, that is the whole point of the DTM function on the PJ.

I have tried setting the hd fury to 100nits, it’s the same, u will still clip when u come to the horse scene on spears and munsil. That is the reference scene to check. When u watch that aquaman flower gate scene, u will clip a lot of details and similarly on the Meg scene too, clouds will disappear, highlights within highlights is non existent on the marvel movies where u can’t see the shape of the infinity stones… a lot of info missing when DTM is turned off…