2. Fooklai

Then on 13th Dec Sunday will be

1. Kaydee6
  2. KennyLuck and Friend

And 18th Dec , Friday

1. Sevenz
  2. Durian

See you guys soon !

Good job bro!!! Neat & clean look. Music listening will be even better after that. ENJOY!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Wow …looks like show room in Hi FI shop . Very cool .

1 Like

Damn tiring , do until …腰酸背痛; (whole body aching)… good exercise though

But had to be very careful with the Frank Ultrabank UB25000, extremely heavy that one 50-60kg easily . One miss cue and that’s it for life… can be dangerous to lift this alone , luckily I have had some help :grinning:

Managed to quickly fire up the system to test functionality, all working well except… no sound from left surround speakers… looks like one of the cable inside is loose

:man_facepalming: Need to check … lol

Take it slowly bro. :sweat_smile:

Kudos to you. Told you when I was setting up the SVS and changing the footers previously, I was already suffering from backache. The SB3000 was even 30kg each.

superb. quickly do it before we get older right? lol. nice work there buddy! soon to be my turn.

Damn tiring but absolutely worth it!

I found the problem to the surround left not having sound, turns out the spades were not connected properly , so everything was fixed and all working well now

Just Day before Yesterday I fired up the system for stereo, couldn’t stop until 2am

With the speakers distance now 3m apart from LR, and 3m to MLP, they form the perfect equilateral triangle and I proceeded to test a few familiar songs

I first tested with toe in, and then without.

I also used this clip to dial in the stereo image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aCVH1Dx8Fx54-IPEwqlIbEZbyDGc3UpK/view?usp=drivesdk

It’s got 9 Tok Tok Tok sound, of which the 5th sound is at dead centre.
Here is the difference , with the toe in, the width was somewhat limited to just beside the speakers. Whereas without toe in, the 1st Tok Tok extends wider out to left of the left speakers. The sound on the width, that was the difference

With this clip, it was easy to determine, which approach would result in a better stereo experience

True enough , I compared all familiar songs. What’s really different, is not the vocals from the centre image,( that was pretty close) but rather the background instruments , they extend wider when not toed in

Then came vocals, with the results of non toe in, the shelving happens pretty steep post 10khz, the airiness from the ribbon tweeters were not to my liking.

Enter toe in, this improved significantly as I was listening more to the speakers than the room

Then I realised, the 3m-3m-3m distance is not really ideal ! As I experimented, I was positioning and listening at the same time measuring to see the difference, rinsing and repeating the process to and forth with the same song

It turned out that 3m -3.2m -3.2m sounded best

What I have realised is that not every triangle is the same. It is better to have a shorter distance between left right speakers, but longer distance from the speakers to the MLP. So if you are going 2.6m between LR speakers, then the MLP should be > 2.6 away from the LR Speakers

This method produced superior results in many ways

The conclusions I derived, is to always toe in the speakers , they will almost always sound better. Here is the breakdown on why

1. Better directivity from the tweeters on mid highs with extension for airiness
  2. No issues with stereo image as long as they are equidistant
  3. There is no presence of piercing or fatigue as most music content centres around 60hz- 12khz range. My hearing is best up to 14khz only. Beyond that I can hardly hear anything
  4. Decay on the Upper frequencies are much more linear because the early reflected energy no longer dominate , in the process removing as much of the room effects
  5. C50 speech clarity and C80 musical clarity is much more linear with toe in
  6. Impulse is much improved , hence an improvement in the timing response
  7. Frequency response for the lower octave in the bass region does not change. That only changes as we move the speakers towards/away from the boundary, be it front wall or side walls. So no diff here. It’s all about the mids and upper frequencies

I must stress the following exercise was conducted in my room, I’m not sure if the same thing applies in other homes. But I suspect it’s not going to deviate much, it’s gonna be pretty much the same

I’ll share the objective measurements soon

Conclusions from my exercise, toe in works best , how many degrees may vary, but 10 degrees with the MA at 3m distance apart LR sounds fantastic

1 Like

Now with the speakers distance dialed in correctly, another problem surfaced

The light spill reflecting off the sides of the speaker’s glossy surface

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Always something to come along and ruin the day :crazy_face:

Never ends huh? I’m curious what you plan to do to mitigate the reflection from the speakers. I will have the same problem.

maybe not much can be done other than maybe a matte panel of something attached to the side or drape some black cloth over the top and down both sides which can also keep surface dust at bay,

1 Like

Aiyah…easy to fix lar. Just use a black velvety cloth (can get from Spotlight) or use this anti-slip mat to cover the glossy side of the speakers.

1 Like

Velvet cloth will be a better choice as an anti-slip mat may cause some marks on the speaker surface due to our humid and warm climate.

1 Like

I agree. I had the marks on my KEF last time when I used the anti slip. Definitely no for glossy surface.

1 Like

Agreed…if it is a living room setup and heat got trapped.

Thanks guys for all the tips ! I was just pondering, black velvet cloth. Was looking at this film decal velvet combo stuff or those Matte Black Vinyl Film Wrap Car Diy Sticker. Mentioned as easily Removable and can fit curved surfaces

Has got these benefits below. Then came the thought of sticking stuff onto the speaker cabinets, does it affect the sound quality by adding these stuff onto the speaker cabinets ?

I know speaker designers spend a great deal of time working with damping and cabinets to reduce resonances etc etc

But since I really like the sound now where the speakers are positioned , Im hoping it will be ok, will give it a try and see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn’t affect the sound :joy:

Material:flannelette
Polymer PVC + velvet
Waterproof, do not shed,
Mainly with flannel material, the use of self-adhesive, can be attached after the ripped, you can repeat positioning. Convenient and simple construction

Advantage:

1. Easy installation.
  2. Can be re-lifted, repositioned and stretched
  3. Permanent acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesive
  4. Stretchable with heat
  5. Conform to contours and bend easily
  6. Stretchable with heat.
  7. Can be cleaned with soap and water
  8. Stands up against water, dirt, grease, salt, mild acids and oil

Has anyone tried these stuff ?

1 Like

I would err on the side of caution where sticking things down goes, try a fabric runner first, cheap, non stick and easy to get, also shouldn’t affect the audio much.

1 Like

Wow. Car chassis decals? Looks good. U can try if those characteristics of the materials you’ve just described holds true.

1 Like

Car vinyl? Need a bit of skill to apply without bubbles and evenly. Usually, they will spray soapy water on the surface before applying and scrap out the excess water. Is it safe to spray water on the speaker cabinet? Will the veneer pops over time? If there is a need to stretch the vinyl then you will need a heat gun. Safe to use a heat gun on the speaker? Removal of the vinyl will most likely leave some residues which require cleaning.

Velvet cloth is the best option in my opinion.

1 Like