Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

As far as I know, the AU/HU810p is either in HDR or SDR mode and the gamut is separate. So yes, Calman for LG can create a 3D SDR LUT with BT2020 gamut. This is the best way most people on AVSForum use MadVR if their projector can handle it. I had previously calibrated SDR to Rec 709, and this is fine if you are not using MadVR to convert HDR to SDR. If you are, then the colors that exceed Rec 709 won’t be accurate. Conversely, the Calman HDR calibration using the Matrix LUT is also not very accurate.

I’m also not sure how you will verify the colour accuracy when you feed a SDR signal into the projector but select BT2020 as the colour space… there looks to be a mismatch

A yCbCr signal going in to the pj with REC709 triplets will not be the same as a yCbCr signal with a REc2020 triplet. They are far off from the reference

So the colours will look off, it will not be accurate to the reference colours that should be present with SDR content

You might need some special files for the hardware to trigger the SDR2020 Lut tables… not sure where you can obtain those…

Why don’t you try the basic REC709 calibration with madvr ? If you get the REC709 calibrated accurately, I believe it should be good for BT2020 as well with madvr… I believe… I didn’t use this method so can’t comment much…

Yes the calman can do it, that’s because the latest generation OLED panels support SDR2020 lut tables. But I’m not sure if the lg AU810PB supports SDR 2020 lut tables ? Based on what I’ve tried with sdr2020 at the early stages when I bought the Pj, the colours were off… which is why we are seeing the same pattern emerge with abhu’s post calibration results above… they were way off their mark . I don’t recall seeing any firmware updates from the Lg as well. From day 1 to now it’s the same firmware in use….

Basically, you tell MadVR that the projector is calibrated to SDR BT2020 and the translation will happen perfectly. SDR BT2020 is an official standard. In fact, those who have Panasonic UHD players often set their players to SDR BT2020 and tone mapping looks very good (although not as good as MadVR). I think Desray did this in the past as well. Here is a paper on it:

Panasonic SDR BT2020 mode

SDR BT2020 is built into all of my displays (Samsung, Panasonic OLED, LG projector, BenQ projector) as it is a standard

I think you are missing my point. What I was referring to was the calibration process in which the calibrated values are stored in the Projector. These values are stored in specific colorimetry either in REC709 or REC2020 within SDR modes. If a projector doesn’t have a SDR REC2020 slot for lut tables, where would these calibrated values be stored ? They will be stored in the REC709 Lut tables of the projector. That means you are calibrating for SDR rec2020 whereby the 3D LUT tables resides in SDR rec709, which is incorrect , any yCbCr or RGB SDR signalling will trigger the SDR REC709 colorimetry on the LG, that is not correct

The LG AU/HU810 Calman compatible firmware is based on the 2019 LG OLED compatible firmware and is based on the same chipset. 2020 LG OLED is different. If you calibrate the display to SDR BT2020, you need to tell the player that you have done that. Once you tell the Panasonic player or MadVR, all is set. Your colors might have been off because the player was not set to SDR BT2020. I didn’t get high delta errors when calibrating SDR BT2020, and many people on AVSForum do this with their LG projectors. So, I don’t think that is Dick’s (abhu) problem. BTW, my firmware ends with 37, which I believe is different from the earlier HU810s

I see and understand, but surely Calman for LG would not allow this if it is not possible. Also, both I and many people on AVSForum have done this with the HU810. In fact another user here @bbspills with a LGHU810 does what I do and may be able to explain further as he is very technical. Perhaps he will chime in.

I’m suspecting that is the case on why his colours look haywire

Maybe try and get the basic right first using the correct colour space for calibrating SDR sources, expert dark mode which is to be used with the REC709 , 17pt grid, and see where that leads to, whether or not he still has that much errors in the post calibration results , from there we will know…

Once you get that done sdr709, u can compare against the sdr2020 calibration… then we will know

Do you have the post calibrated results with SDR 2020 for colour ?

I’m not sure why other AVS member do it that way

I popped this question to Tyler in the past when I saw that option, and was told to use REC709

Unless your calibrated values for SDR 2020 lut tables are stored in the madvr equipment, then it makes sense

But it doesn’t make sense to me to calibrate this LG projector for SDR with REC2020 colour space

The new gen OLED TVs from LG has these for SDR 2020 and SDR 709 respectively

I know for sure my older OLED C7 doesn’t have this

One thing to note that it is currently impossible to see the delta error in Calman for HDR Matrix LUT. As there is no post chart due to a limitation of the LG Pattern Generator.

1 Like

Yea that is correct :white_check_mark:

After some googling, I found that you can set the Colormetry i.e., BT2020, Rec 709 etc and the EOTF ie HDR, SDR ST2084 etc separately on my LG HU810

You have to access the secret menu, but you don’t need the service remote for this. You can use the regular magic remote. Just navigate to the picture menu under settings. In my case, it was Expert Dark mode and type the secret code 1113111 The menu above should pop up

3 Likes

Oh nice ! That is fantastic !! Awesome stuff !

This is why this LG laser PJ is so hard to beat at its price point. Thanks for reminding us…

Still got secret codes to tell the Pj to use BT2020 for SDR sources !

What an awesome discovery!

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

So the LG HU/AU810 switches into SDR BT2020 automatically when it gets a signal that has EOTF set at SDR and colorimetry of BT2020. This is illustrated by the frame below, where you can see that the projector is in SDR otherwise it would say “HDR Picture Mode” instead of “Picture Mode” and you can see from my MadVR diagnostics that colorimetry is BT2020

You can also see this if you have a Panasonic UHD player set to SDR BT2020

1 Like

I posted my SDR BT2020 results somewhere on AVS Forum. Will have to find it. Tyler said to use Rec 709 because that is the standard way for most SDR equipment, unless you have a SDR BT2020 source like MadVR or a Panasonic UHD player. BTW, Tyler left Portrait Displays and now works for Apple.

The 3D LUT can be stored in MadVR if you want. However, Calman cannot output a 3D LUT as you mentioned to me before. However @bbspills has managed to use DisplayCal to output a 3D LUT from a Calman calibration and load that into MadVR. I never tried it and I’m not sure the advantages of that, but it is possible to put a 3D LUT into MadVR

2 Likes

This is the only SDR calibration file that I can find from the period that I was calibrating SDR BT2020. It says “Pre-Calibration Measurements” because what I was doing to verify was to switch Calman into Manual Calibration mode and then activate pre-calibration measurements to see how accurate the calibration was. Being in SDR, it would read only within the Rec 709 space

2 Likes

Here is my posy calibrated Calman Cinema SDR2020 Iris 5

Note, i calibrated my Cinema and Expert Bright mode in SDR2020 and calibrated Game and Expert Dark in BT709.

I solely use Cinema when using madvr to tonemap HDR to SDR2020.

Then for any 709 content (i.e. OTA TV, Non HDR Gaming), I use one of my calibrated 709 modes

2 Likes

Here is the output of using displaycal of the 3DLUT I created AFTER I calibrated my Cinema mode to SDR2020.

Note, this 3dLUT is created by displaycal and not Calman. Calman creates a 3dLUT that is stored directly in the projector.

I use this in place of selecting My Display is already calibrated in MadVR.

The reason I do this is just for slightly better accuracy

1 Like

Your picture above is incorrect, your projector switches to HDR mode when it receives an HDR signal.

If you send an SDR BT2020 signal, it will stay in SDR2020, but if you click on the three dots your remote and click on info, you can see what the source is and it will say BT2020 if it is.

Your projector will auto switch to SDR2020 if you have color space set to auto in the picture settings

1 Like