Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

The Greyscale and the CMS calibration is applied across all HDMI inputs and Netflix, USB etc, but the other parameters are unique to each input or mode. So each input or mode has unique contrast, brightness, dynamic contrast, black level etc. Setting contrast in HDMI1 will not, for example, copy over to Netflix or playing files from USB

2 Likes

What I learnt was (to be) always on the safer sideā€¦ that is after each calibration, to disconnect the PJ, meter and close the calman program entirely, reset the mode in the PJ, then connect all and select SDR or HDR to begin calibration.

1 Like

New chip for Calman

https://portrait.com/mtk/

1 Like

Saw this too from PD. Hope it will bring a big diff to consumer displays and calibration!

Extract from Portrait Displays below:

This is awesome news

Portrait Displays and MediaTek Collaborate to Launch the Worldā€™s First Calman Ready TV Chip

Portrait Displays, the global leader in color calibration solutions, has collaborated with MediaTek, the global fabless semiconductor company powering the smartest TVs worldwide, to create the worldā€™s first premium smart TV chip with Calman Ready functionality.

Portrait Displaysā€™ CalmanĀ® color calibration solutions are widely recognized for revolutionizing color accuracy. As pioneers in the industry, Portrait strives to preserve creative integrity by offering color-accurate calibration solutions, so viewers can enjoy content the way the artists intended. MediaTekā€™s multimedia expertise and industry leadership make them the perfect partner for Portraitā€™s mission to provide optimized and precise color solutions for Smart TVs around the world.

MediaTek is the first smart TV chip designer to integrate full Calman Ready functionality on a chip. With MediaTekā€™s Pentonic chipset family, television manufacturers can easily add the Calman Ready Feature to their product line-ups, increasing their marketability to retailers and providing consumers with premium entertainment experiences at home.

ā€œOur collaboration with MediaTek is an exciting step in making calibration more accessible for everyone,ā€ commented Eric Brumm, CEO of Portrait Displays. ā€œMediaTek Pentonic smart TV chips offer solutions for TV manufacturers that fit every budget. With pre-configured Calman Ready functionality right on the chip, implementation of Calman AutoCal is greatly simplified.ā€

Portrait is the driving force of the democratization of color calibration. Whether a home enthusiast, a professional calibrator, or a retailer providing Calibration as a Service (CaaS), Calman makes it easier to learn calibration, perform calibration, and sell calibration. Now with Portrait and MediaTekā€™s collaboration, television brands can quickly and efficiently join the Calman Integrated Solutions program and become part of the vast Portrait Displays Universe.

The MediaTek Pentonic family brings incredible performance, advanced intelligence, and brilliant picture quality to smart TVs everywhere. Whether brands choose the Pentonic 2000, Pentonic 1000, or Pentonic 700 chips, TV OEMs can easily participate in the Calman Ready program to design everything from affordable entry-level models to top-of-the-line 8K HDR televisions. MediaTek-poweredsmart TVs preloaded with the Calman Ready app will allow calibrators to connect directly to Calman Calibration software and run fully automated calibrations including 8K, 4K, HDR and Wide Color Gamut, and HDTV signal support.

With MediaTekā€™s Intelligent View technology, the Pentonic series supports multiple picture-by-picture (PbP) and picture-in-picture (PiP) screens, enabling large-resolution displays to showcase different media sources at the same time. This allows consumers to simultaneously run multiple apps and stream from different sources. MediaTek Intelligent View ensures the best possible viewing experience with a seamless display in every window.

On the calibration side, MediaTek Pentonic smart TV chips with Calman Ready integration will support a wide variety of professional calibration and display profiling solutions, from 3x3 color correction matrixes to 1D/3D-LUT generation for high-precision color gamut, and grayscale corrections via Calmanā€™s Aurora Color Engine. MediaTekā€™s Pentonic chips with Calman Ready integration give TV ODMs maximum flexibility in the implementation of color calibration methodologies that will meet the requirements of any panel, and exceed consumer expectations for in-home entertainment solutions.

ā€œAs the No. 1 TV chip provider, MediaTek has a proven track record of bringing to market the most advanced display, audio, AI, broadcasting, and connectivity technologies for in-home entertainment,ā€ said Alex Chen, General Manager of the TV Business Unit at MediaTek. ā€œMediaTekā€™s collaboration with Portrait Displays will help provide vibrant color and image calibration for even more immersive viewing experiences for consumers around the world."

Together, Portrait and MediaTek will demonstrate Intelligent View technology together with Calman Ready calibration at CES 2023 at The Venetian in Las Vegas, Nevada. Two renowned TV brands share their excitement over the worldā€™s first Calman-Ready TV chip, and their continued collaboration with Portrait Displays and MTK.

ā€œDesigning televisions that faithfully convey the creatorā€™s intent is our passion. In addition to Sonyā€™s integrated image processing algorithms, our strategic collaboration with Portrait Displays and MediaTek allows us to take the Smart TV visual experience to the next level. With accurate color calibration, customers can enjoy movies and TV shows precisely how they were meant to be viewed,ā€ said Yoshihiro Ono, Head of Home Entertainment Business Group of Sony Corporation.

"Philips TVā€™s legacy in innovative excellence has arrived at a breakthrough in picture quality. In collaborating with Portrait Displays and MediaTek, all Philips OLED TV series launched in 2023 will achieve an outstanding level of high-quality picture performance utilizing Calman ļ»æReady and MediaTek ļ»æPentonic 1000,"ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ said Ken CM Liao, Senior Director of Global Product Management of the OBM BG at TPV Group.

The MediaTek Pentonic smart TV family, including Pentonic 2000 8K flagship chip, Pentonic 1000 4K flagship chip, and Pentonic 700 4K premium chip, are now available for TV manufacturers. The first smart TVs powered by MediaTek Pentonic with Calman Ready technology will be available in Q1 2023.

Finally have time to do calibration on SDR BT2020.

Projector settings:
Expert dark
Iris 8
Medium temperature
Black level Low
All other features off.

PGenerator:
RGB Full
4k60
BT2020

iDisplay Pro plus:
Delay 0.5sec

Calman:
Gamma2.2, BT2020
17points (it took just 3 hrs in my new computer, much faster)

The grayscale is great. But color gamut not so good
Any ways to improve it? or I did anything wrong?

Colours does look off. Are you calibrating for HDR ? If it is, it uses matrix lut for hdr, should not take 3hrs !

nope.
I am calibrating SDR BT2020

can someone please post your SDR 2020 post calibration result?

thanks

It should all fall into their respective dots post calibration like the above with delta errors <2, otherwise itā€™s not good enough. And it takes like 6hrs for SDR !

Yours seems like quite fast coming in at 3hrs only?

I did try calibrating for SDR2020 at the early stages for SDR content, somehow it didnā€™t look good post calibration

I sticked to REC709 for SDR, only HDR10 with BT20202

the above screen was just BT 709
yes I can do it with about 3hr since the computer is very fast .
I was using an old laptop that is super slowā€¦ Take 11hrs.
So I switch to a new PC and it become much quicker

I think Sammy said he did SDR BT2020?

Iā€™m not sure what Sammy did, but I think you should not force BT2020 on SDR content, they are all in REC709

I would stick to REC709 for SDR and REC2020 for HDR

A fast colorimeter helps as wellā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™m using a reasonably fast laptop tooā€¦ but it takes 6 hours to complete ! Lol ā€¦ 3 hours is good:)

Anyway, definitely try using REC709 for SDR calibration and await your feedback, that should be the correct way to calibrate for SDR , using the correct colorimetry BT709 instead of BT2020

Do not use the option BT2020 when calibrating for SDR, based on my last experience, it didnā€™t look correct as far as the LG Projector goesā€¦ rec709 was bang on correct

The reason I use SDR BT2020 during calibration, is that (1) you can tell MadVR to translate HDR into SDR BT2020 since our projectors donā€™t output more than about 100 nits calibrated and (2) the Calman calibration for SDR is much more accurate than for HDR. The 17pt matrix LUT, which takes many hours is a much more accurate calibration than the quick Matrix LUT in HDR in Calman. Hence any Calman HDR calibration is inherently less accurate than a SDR calibration. SDR BT2020 becomes the best way to output HDR to a projector if you are using Calman and MadVR.

The best way to calibrate is to do what @Foodie does, which is to profile your colorimeter to a Spectrophotometer before you calibrate. I believe he gets tiny delta errors as a result.

I think I have deleted my files unless I posted them previously in this forum

I am using iDisplay Pro plus
that supports BT2020?
Let me google around.

I use the same meter. They are calibrated at the factory, but these meters inherently have errors and drift over time. Hence, its best to profile the meter against a spectro and generate a file for Calman. The difficulty is borrowing a spectro to do this and they cost thousands of dollars. You have to make sure that you have total and complete darkness. The way you mount your meter facing the screen also has an effect.

I also think that 3hrs is too short no matter how fast your computer. You have to set the delay between frames and some other delays properly.

I see Sammyā€™s reason for choosing SDR2020

Does the LG AU810PB comes with a SDR2020 lut table slots? I know they have REC709 LUT slots for sure but not sure if they have SDR2020 LUT table slots . Is this with cinema mode or filmmaker mode ?

What I understand is that when the signal is fed to the Pj, if it is coming in both RGB or YCbCr signalling, REC709 slot is enabled

SDR 2020 content is basically not available apart from some documentary disk, most movies 99.9% of the content is in REC709

Based on my last calibration exercise I have conducted for pro night mode, SDR2020 looked incorrect from my observations. I suspect they donā€™t have the 3D LUT tables available for SDR2020 for this Projector

To play safe, stick to REC709 for SDR for this PJ. But Iā€™m not sure how madVR works in Sammyā€™s set up because Iā€™m not using the MadVR approach.

As far as calibration technique goes, I can guarantee if you use rec709 for SDR and Rec2020 for hdr, you will get the colours bang on correct :white_check_mark: