Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

Yes, you are right. Even in the menus which the source is outputting Rec 709, MadVR is converting to SDR2020. So when the source changes to HDR, MadVR remains outputting in SDR2020, but internally converts the HDR to it. My point earlier was just to say that the projector is capable of SDR2020 when given the signal.

I didn’t know about the three dots even after having the projector awhile :grinning:. Thanks. It is very useful

It’s interesting to note that in your post-calibration SDR2020 verification, that the test points are still within the Rec 709 range even though the triangle is bigger. Also, we both seem to be having the same dE problem with the last Cyan bar.

They may fall in the 709, but they are different points just represented in 2020, but if you want you can do a BT2020 check in Calman that sweeps across the whole color space.

Essentially Calman is checking the same colors just how they are represented across 2020 versus 709.

This is why you get oversaturated colors if you send a 709 signal to a 2020 display since the 709 colors map to different points on 2020. They aren’t a 1:1 match

I set delay to 0.5sec already
trust me, the fast computer really helps
I count it take about 3 sec for each point.
so total just a bit more than 3hrs.

thanks.
I will try 709 this weekend when I have time !

1 Like

Very happy about this forum.
Learn new things everytime

Today I learn the secret menu to activate the SDR 2020, also learn the 3 dot to show display info in our projector

Thanks everyone !

I do have modes calibrated to 709, but I don’t use them because for SDR source, like news or sports, I prefer uncalibrated Standard mode, and bypass MadVR. I find that displaying news or sports on the calibrated mode through MadVR, it just lacks vibrancy and the picture is too warm. Just my preference and the opposite for movies. For any HDR source, I put it through MadVR and it comes out perfect in SDR2020.

I actually only watch movie on projector.

SDR source is mainly some old movie clips or animes.

This above makes sense to me….u must use different SDR profiles , one calibrated with rec709 and playing content with BT709 and another calibrated to SDR2020 playing content with REC2020 colorimetry

:+1:t2:

Ya I tested the speed on the meter, was given 0.5sec as well. But I set it manually to 1sec, to allow the system to have apple time to switch to the next pattern…0.5 sec is like kinda too fast and sometimes the next upcoming pattern hasn’t loaded… we are talking about 1000++ patterns loading constantly… 1sec is already very fast, 0.5 is like super fast…… that’s why I use 1sec. Takes twice the time, but it’s safer as the patterns load up correctly and the colorimeter captures the correct pattern…

Yes you should first try getting the basic rec709 SDR calibrated with the correct display mode to use, ie expert dark

Maybe for your cinema/filmmaker mode , SDR2020 with madvr… then u r on the right track… the mode that strips the metadata from the hdr content and display it in SDR but using REC2020 colour space

is there any difference between different modes?
I thought they are all the same?

Ok, this is my SDR 709 calibration result.
Using Pgenerator, 17points, 0.5sec delay
Used 3:17min to calibrate.

It looks pretty good.

Cinema
Warm
Gamma 2.2
Iris 7
Brightness 55
Contrast 79

They are not the same. LG processes differently for different modes and the IRIS setting also seems to make a difference during calibration.

I spent a lot of time doing this and settled on the best calibration being SDR BT2020 on Expert Dark at IRIS of 3 for MadVR. I use that at night when I have total darkness with HDR content and MadVR. Doing the same calibration on Cinema mode was close, but I get better blacks on Expert Dark. Given different room, etc YMMV. Bryan likes Game mode for Calman’s HDR calibration. I concur as it gives me the brightest image for HDR without MadVR.

You can do this forever for marginal benefit, so at some point, you just decide to stop and remain happy with what you have.

Now this looks correct! Well done! You can try gamma 2.4 in a pitch black room, they look fantastic. Or BT1886 in non pitch black room. Gamma 2.2 is much more ideal for TV during day time.

Looks great and must have been satisfying at 4am when you made that post :rofl:. Our LG’s seem to have this issue with Cyan. It’s high on yours, mine and bbspils. I forgot that you were using PGenerator. It’s much faster than LG’s internal generator and looking back at the PGenerator thread, it took 4hrs on my slower PC and I also used the 0.5sec delay so 3:17 on your faster setup is expected. This type of speed is not possible with LG’s pattern generator. Previously, I had used a 0.25sec delay as suggested by Calman and that was too fast. @Foodie pointed out the AVSForum thread discussing the delay to me and I increased it to good result.

At this point you can stop and enjoy for awhile. However, for perfect HDR colors using MadVR you might want to try to redo that SDR BT2020 calibration as bbspils and I have done.

yes exactly. I will redo SDR BT2020 next.
At least now I have a good 709 to play with.

I wonder if you set Iris to 3, what is the luminance? I can only get about 44 when iris 7 on cinema mode.
and if I increase to 9 or 10, the darkest dark will not be accurate.

It would be interesting to see now the post calibration results of SDR2020 on the second profile cinema mode or SDR bright mode ?

I’m not sure what type of patterns and signal goes in when the guys calibrate it for sdr2020. Are the hdr patterns loaded with madvr in the chain?

At least you have managed to get SDR REc709 to be bang on correct with delta errors <2. That is a good start now that you have gotten SDR 709 out of the way….it looks really good down to 0% black levels … (minus the cyan errors)

1 Like

Stick to iris at 7, you got it bang on correct. I can see it in your RGB balance and colours

Only thing is at gamma 2.2 it might look less inky on screen

If you have a pitch black room (with light control) and with gamma 2.4 producing the same calibration results, I assure you, you will be in nirvana stage for SDR video….

1 Like

For my SDR 2020 calibration on Iris 3, my max luminance is about 45 and I program that into MadVR so it tone maps to that. I also use Iris 3 with adaptive contrast high on after a considerable amount of experimenting in Expert Dark mode. It seems to give me the darkest blacks on dark scenes, while LG’s adaptive contrast lifts the window when there are bright scenes. I turn dynamic contrast off as it seemed to introduce artifacts.

1 Like