Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

Thanks for sharing.

Actually my target is simple:

1. The white point to be accurate
  2. RGB across greyscale good esp the low and high end.
  3. skintone to be very accurate

As long as i can get this 3 settled, i will be a happy man liao haha…

So if 9pt grid can give me that, i will just fo 9pt

1 Like

I find it useful that the calibrated projector looks like my calibrated Mac, especially for photographs. For some movies and videos, like Marvel, I actually prefer the some uncalibrated picture modes as they have more punch at the expense of colors. Don’t really care that it’s not what the director intended.

17pt will be running to about midnight tonight. I put it into Expert (Bright), while yesterday’s 9 pt is in Expert (Dark). Should be able to toggle between the two to see if there is any improvement. I’m sure there will be as Bryan has noticed it. In any case, you may only need to do it once during the life of a laser projector so its ok to go to sleep a little late.

Calman’s HDR calibration uses the Matrix LUT, which only uses 5 points. But it looks pretty good, especially in a dark room with dark content and a closed down iris

I noticed that instantly when the 0 IRE was reading all over the place since it wasn’t zero :rofl:

The 17 point calibration last night took 6.5 hrs. I suppose Bryan’s PC is faster than mine :rofl: He was absolutely right. The 17 point calibration looks quite a bit better than the 9 point. I loaded the 17 point into Expert Bright and the 9 point into Expert Dark so I can compare on the fly. Interestingly, the DeltaE is 3.0 on the 17 point, which is slightly worse than the 2.9 on the 8 point but what matters in the end is that the colors, especially skin tones, look better.

I’m happy to see members starting to take an interest in display calibration.

I wouldn’t worry too much with the Delta E of 3.0…anything below 4.0 should be fine and non-detectable by human visual acuity. So don’t worry. Job well done! Now go and enjoy some movies and see the difference between calibrated vs non-calibrated display :slight_smile:

This is considered very good.

Wind, did you calibrate with the 17 point 3D LUT when you used Calman?

Bryan, is there any way to save the 3D LUT that I created with Calman and load it into the LG projector later? Now that I have a good image, I’m afraid that I may accidentally reset the projector and lose all the calibrations and have to endure another 6.5 hr calibration.

It also seems that HDMI1, 2 and 3 all have separate memories. So if I experiment in the future, perhaps I can use a different HDMI input and not affect a good calibration on the other HDMI input

Some basic instructions on how to enable autocal on a HU810. You need a LG Service Remote. Press “In Start” and enter 0413. Then edit the Tool Options until it looks like the picture below. Essentially you put in the codes for the AU810 to enable Autocal and IP Control

In particular, the ToolOPT4 menu is where the Auto Calibration and IP Control are located

1 Like

Desray, I was just rereading your old Lumagen thread. It looks like you used Chromapure to auto calibrate a 17 point 3D LUT for your Lumagen. Is that correct? Did you ever try Calman? I wonder what the subjective differences are between the two auto calibration softwares. In theory, they should look almost identical

Seems like one can load custom HDR tone curves into the LG 810 using Calman. Might improve the tone mapping

Calman custom tone curves

Yes that is correct, you only need to do it once in your lifetime of the 20,000 hours laser light life available. what is that few hours more of autocal time? its auto anyway, hit cal and go have your coffee and chat chat. You dont even need to be present. so for me, i let it run, on separate days

imagine, i had to run

1 HDR for Oppo 205
1 SDR for Oppo 205
1 HDR for Xbox Series X
1 SDR for Xbox Series X.

No more fiddling with the video after that. Unlike lamp based light source where you might need to re-calibrate the PJ again down the road, with the laser light source, we dont have to do that. do it once and you are done.

You took a very good approach, quick cal to have a feel. Thats how you should do it, as you progress with later calibrations, you can see what it is doing and how much better it is. Calibration process is always to rinse and repeat, to make mistakes and to learn from them. That is how it gets better. I dont really believe you can get it all correct doing it the first time… somehow or rather sure there will be something you need to tweak or change along the way. So the quick cal approach is good on first run (matrix lut), but once you have nailed it, you do the full cal 17pt and you call it a day. HDR matrix lut calibration is much much faster.

Well done and really admire your efforts, i always find that the statement “no pain no gain” to be true , especially in this hobby, be it for video or sound. We must make the effort.

this is awesome!! save $$ option, clever!! well done and thanks for sharing with the community here , awesome stuff. i read about it before buying the AU810PB on AVS forum, but i didnt want to risk it

Nope, not that i know of. Once you have calibrated, it will load in the values into Gamma Module, White Balance 2/20pt and colour tables and upload it to your LG projector, you cannot change those values except for CMS module. on the calman version i was on, i am still able to make micro adjustments in the Colour Management module on the LG. You can try using the manual colour cal post auto cal, to adjust 75% saturation and 100% luminance targets on SDR, see if that works better. I prefer to get these spot on for 75% saturation. They look very good on SDR

i dare not touch the calibration anymore, because i am also worried i have to re-do all over again all 4 profiles, very time consuming. that is why i didnt explore with the new software, because im very happy with the post cal results and after verifying with various video content, i prefer to leave it alone. im also worried one wrong button and it goes haywire and i have to reset the PJ. So im careful to make sure it doesnt go there.

If you need to test, use another profile. Expert mode seems to be best for SDR and Game mode is best for HDR… ive tried the few different profiles… i ended up with those as my main profile … and yes do not turn on Tone mapping when calibrating the PJ for HDR. That has to be turned off , its turned on by default. So becareful there.

I just build a PGenerator pattern generator out of a Raspberry Pi to calibrate my 2018 Panasonic OLED. I had previously calibrated my HU810 with the internal pattern generator, but was unable to do a pre-post comparison because, if I recall right, LG’s internal pattern generator couldn’t do it. Wonder PGenerator can do post measurements and comparisons. Will be trying in a few days time.

1 Like

Hope it is able to. :slight_smile: Think sdr shld be able to.

I meant HDR. The standard Calman Home can do the pre/post in SDR, but not in HDR. I’ll take a short break after this project, but after that, will redo the LG HU810 calibration with PGenerator. There are some who argue on AVSForum that LG’s internal pattern generators aren’t bit perfect, particularly those from 2020 and older. The HU810 uses their older stuff, hence the inability to do pre/post

1 Like

Just to close off this discussion, I did determine that with Pgenerator, you can do the pre/post on Calman from Home in HDR.

@Abhuj887, Replying u here as this is the more appropriate thread /post for your qn.

If u are using autocal on calman on this PJ, the calibrated picture mode’s 1DLUT and 3DLUT shld populate to the other sources including the built in apps. (LG PJ users - pls jump in to verify if I’m wrong here)

If u are using manual calibration, then it wont and u will have to hit “apply to all inputs” to make it happen.

Got it. Thanks Foodie!