Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

Yes recommended to have iris at 5, which was what I did initially. But it didn’t look good on my set up. So I found energy saving to medium and iris opened to 8 gave me the best results. Not sure why that’s the case. Ideally we should not deviate much from opening or closing the iris post calibration because it changes the colour temperature

So having it at 5(medium) gives you the option to open further to 7, or close it down to 3 post calibration

Good to know…FWIW uncle WIM was at my place to pick up the nvidia shielf TV from me yesterday. He told me about the “missing” HDR game mode.

Ya that’s what he told me, not sure what happened to his missing hdr game mode… I didn’t try the new software as the meter is with another bro

Yeah…he told me that as well. He said one meter was shared among 4 of you guys who are having this LG projector if I heard him right. LoL

Could it be the meter that’s why HDR did not appear as an option?

He mentioned cinema hdr and filmmaker mode is available, just hdr mode for game is not there. Strange phenomenon. But I told him to try and revert to the older version and see if that helps…no news after that so not sure what happened after

he must be using the built in player as Game mode isn’t available there. In order to do Game mode you must be on Game mode. Throw the video on a thumb drive and play off an xbox or playstation

2 Likes

Oh yes, that is correct. Need to slot the patterns vide usb on Xbox . No wonder he couldn’t get it to work

But even on Oppo 205, game mode HDR is also available. Maybe u r right, the built in player doesn’t have game mode for hdr. That makes sense now….

I didn’t calibrated using the built in player, I calibrated using the Oppo and Xbox series X. And it works like a charm

Good job ! :clap:

1 Like

Are all 4 of you using the AU810? Just considering buying an Open Box HU810 and wondering if I can join the calibration group if someone has been successful with the HU810 :wink:

bbspills, are you from AVS Forum? If so, I noticed you have a HU810. Were you able to use Calman LG to calibrate it satisfyingly after turning on IP mode and Auto Cal using the remote? What colorimeter did you use?

Yes, extremely happy with my calibration results. Would recommend using the AVSForum thread for any more details as it has a good amount of info and user base.

I used the Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus (CCDIS3PL)

Two are using Lg OLED , one jvc n7 and I’m the only 1 with the AU810PB , but not the Hu810

So I use hdr game mode for hdr content. I haven’t tried the new software, some reported nice improvements.

I’m very happy with the hdr calibration from this projector using the older version firmware. It’s absolutely stunning. How accurate, remains a question. But from what I’m seeing post calibration, the results are fantastic. One of the biggest benefit I have is the ability to compare what I’m seeing on my OLED tv vs the projector

I have hosted a few members previously. We did some 2 hours demo on various video content. I can host you one fine Sunday before u take the plunge, so u can have a look at the calibrated vs out of the box settings and decide if it’s worth the time and effort going through the calibration process.

Let me know if u r free and we can catch up on a Sunday 2pm. And I can show you the settings to use, software function etc etc

Thanks Bryan. I’m currently in the US and back in a few weeks. Have a chance to acquire an open box HU810 from Amazon with 9hrs at about half price, and putting it in my carry-on luggage when I fly back to Singapore. Trying to decide whether or not to buy a colorimeter and LG Service Remote (to get into the service menu) before I leave. bbspills seems to have had some success with the CCDIS3PL so I’m wondering if I should get it. I actually have the projector with me already and have been quite impressed with it even though I’m just projecting on a wall, but have the next two weeks to determine if I want to keep it or return. I do see how dark the HDR (crushed blacks) can be in some movies so it looks like I either calibrate it or force HDR into SDR before sending to it. I’m coming from the BenQ W2700 so am well aware of the limitations of HDR and projectors and also how my HD Fury might tone map Dolby Vision on it well should LG not.

Following the HU/AU810 calibration thread on AVS Forum, I see many frustrated but seemingly knowledgeable guys using Calman Home for LG so I’m a bit leery in heading down this direction. A few have simply given up calibrating HDR so not sure if I should even start :rofl: In contrast to the frustrated bunch on AVS Forum, you and bbspills seem to be very happy

Anyways a few days to decide and thanks very much for your offer and will definitely come by to drool at your setup if I lug the HU810 back home.

Oh that is nice ! If u can lug one back home, it’s a lot cheaper I suppose.

Ya I can’t verify that part on the Hu810, theoretically it should work if u can unlock autocal and the network options on the hu810. The hardware specs are similar, so U save like $1k usd, that’s a lot converted to sgd! I can see why.

I suppose u can still sell the unit if things don’t work out well.

No pain no gain, if u r coming from the BenQ, this is an upgrade…. No turning back once u get the hdr auto calibration to work well with calman. There are a few settings to take note when using it with the PJ, which I can share with u, no problem if u eventually decide to get it

Managed to acquire the LG Service Remote from Amazon for USD8. Used it to open up the service menu on the HU810 and turn on Autocal

2 Likes

Interesting. You need to purchase this service remote control to activate those hidden settings.

Wow nice. Is this remote for this PJ model only or for all LG tv and PJ?

1 Like

There are instructions on how to do it if you have a Harmony remote, which I do, but for USD8, this is simpler :rofl:

1 Like

It works on LG TVs as well, but it can be a little dicy hairy fiddling with some of the TV or projector’s internal codes. Was able to figure it out though.

Very nice for usd8! Save $1k USD so can unlock the autocal and network feature. Good enough.