Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

@Ronildog have you found there are any changes to your previous 15 calibration steps you posted back in January now that they added the LG/AU support in the latest version of Calman?

I assume step 7 you are now selecting Projector versus OLED. Anything else?

I’m contemplating taking the plunge based on your positive feedback

Thanks

Per your post in January

So my findings using xrite meter.

1. Always used wired Ethernet connection , avoid wifi .
  2. Make sure to have pattern generator downloaded to formatted FAT32 thumb drive
  3. Run pattern generator from source player, or Oppo, Xbox
  4. Disable all processing and video enhancement from hd fury or projector pic menu
  5. Depending on environment, set the energy saving mode, min on Pj to allow maximum light output . Max for min light through . Open iris to 8 at brightness optimiser setting on Pj
  6. Take a pic of the IP address on the LG PJ
  7. In LG software, choose SDR/hdr OLED (SDR when calibrating SDR and hdr for hdr calibration
  8. Find meter, then if xrite is connected, choose raw XYZ
  9. Find source when the SDR pattern generator mp4 file is playing on Oppo , choose manufacture Lg and model choose 2019 model , choose fhll 100% pattern
  10. Colour space Rec709, gamma 2.4. If hdr, rec2020 and
  11. Under xrite meter settings, Low light trigger set to 1cd/m2
  12. Make sure untick pattern insertion
  13. Direct display control choose Lg AU810PB, choose hdr game mode for hdr and expert dark for SDR , hit full ddc reset and make sure light is green before proceed. It is communicating with the Pj to load the LUT
    14 under settings application measurement options, uncheck both , uncheck pattern insertion for both time based and patch count based patterns . Then choose delta ITP for the autocal delta errors formula
  14. Run the 21 point for SDR and 20pt it hdr gray scale
  15. Run matrix lut for colours on hdr and 17 grid lut for SDR ( SDR takes 3-4hours, so u need that 10 hour pattern loaded)

Also, is there any added benefit for getting the display pro plus versus the display pro for calibrating the HU810?

Unlike pj the brightness (nits) for pj is limited. In my opinion, display pro is suffice. Unless you calibrate TV as well… But if you have cash to spare, get the latest and greatest won’t hurt as well.

For HDR Game what gamma is recommended. 2084 or Power 2.2?

I calibrate again last night using game mode gamma 2.0 under my light environment. The dots falling into places closely to DC65.

Think it’s better to trial error on this under your own light condition, no hard or fast rule. Previously did using gamma 2.2 and I don’t rem the dots falling so nicely into places

1 Like

Results on the RGB (white balance) looks great. I can’t even get that perfect. LoL

When calibrating the LG, For hdr it will always strip the metadata and calibrate the display using gamma 2.2. That’s how the Lg autocal works

Ultimately it will still use the EOTF 2084 curve when the display kicks in in hdr mode.

If u r attempting the calibration for hdr, use game mode hdr. That has the most light output and post calibration is most satisfactory using game mode hdr . I use that now for games and movies. I ditched hdr cinema mode and hdr filmmaker modes in favour of the game mode

1 Like

I didn’t use the new software. Actually the meter is not with me at the moment. So we share the xrite meter and it’s now with another member. So I have not tried using the new software. But I understand from other members that with the new software, autocal is not available for hdr game mode. Not sure but that’s the feedback I got from others after their upgrade. So I’m a bit reluctant to redo the calibration with the new software. As of now, I’m actually really happy with the quality of SDR and hdr and feel that it’s best not to mess with it since I’ve gotten it to where I want it to be.

There’s still game mode HDR for the latest autocal version bro

Oh still have ? Wim was saying he couldn’t find it after the update. So I was worried, I didn’t want to update to the new software if there is no option to calibrate the hdr gaming mode…

Yes have. Cos I just did last night ah.

Oh I didn’t know uncle WIM is also using this LG projector? I thought he has a Sony VW760ES 4K laser projector in his home. :grin:

Ya I helped him calibrate the unit and sent to Brunei…

Somehow with new software not sure why he go reset the PJ :man_facepalming:… all the calibrated settings gone ! So he said hdr game settings not available for calibration on the new version software

It looked good at his place… but he mentioned still not enough light output and he prefers higher lumens

At my place it’s ok, 135” more than enough

I see…can’t he do on his own?

HDR Game mode is available in latest AutoCal, just can’t use the internal player as that’s not an option for video modes

1 Like

Man, you weren’t joking. Just tried that on Cinema Gamma 2.0 and my dots all fell close as well.

May try this on game after comparing how cinema 2.0 looks to game 2.2

1 Like

Calman suggests using IRIS at medium but suggested here to calibrate at 8.

Curious the reasoning.

Was it just trial and error or logic based on the room/screen environment/type you have

Yes that’s right, cos in my room, is not 100% black. So the black may just go out of place at 2.2 or 2.4.

I trialed 2.0 Vs 2.1, 2.0 still better in my room condition.

Always use medium for me, else everything is too bright and look “washed out”

1 Like

Ya now he can… remote guide… he is ok now, can do on his own. But he mentioned hdr game mode is not available for calibration on the new software… so that’s why I didn’t upgrade to recalibrate and to test the new software