Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

Very nice. Very well set up! :slight_smile:

Your PJ colors are good from the photos. Did that undergo a display calibration?

1 Like

Thanks. No calibration. Fine tune by eyes.

Michael very nice picture from your Epson PJ.

1 Like

Nice. Means Ootb accuracy is good! :slight_smile:

Very nice and spacious setup!

1 Like

@kaydee6 very beautiful indeed. Did you implant calman into your eyes?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

These days, most projectors, especially 3D LCD and LCoS based projectors usually have very good SDR (rec 709) colors ootb and doesn’t really require much tinkering on the CMS portion except for the most basic ones like Contrast and Brightness to ensure shadow details are preserved and the image can give you the maximum punch. Epson is known to be fairly neutral when it comes to SDR calibration thus making the image very natural, especially skin tones.

Lesser known but equally important and the hardest to get it right is Gamma. With HDR, gamma is now called EOTF and it continues to work hand in hand with CMS to give that maximum “punch” to the overall PQ. This is often found in various picture presets (Cinema, Natural, Reference to name a few). Unfortunately, that’s where the fairy tales end for most basic consumers relying on simple calibrations as HDR is affected by various implementations of tone mapping or image compression to get everything in one frame or scene. The projector or the sources will have to determine the brightest white and the darkest blacks and which portion to clip (whites) or crush (blacks). If these variables change dynamically within a scene or frame, there is NO WAY to calibrate gamma and CMS properly for HDR content. Often times, we will rely heavily on the display itself, meaning the TV or Projector (JVC) internal Dynamic Tone Mapping algorithm to do the work for us.

1 Like

Very true. This is where the Lumagen comes in. Or if you have the Jvc pj, you can skip the lumagen. :grin:

PRO +1 !!

Wow …very good colour tuning . Kaydee is old school doing it by eyes .

Very impressive , you manage to get the top darken out what material is that ?

His new home has a beautiful view , perfect when listening to music and have a glass of wine and enjoy it all .

1 Like

Thanks Alf. Yes, I darken the ceiling by using black paper foam from Artfriend. Took some effort to convince the wife :grin:
The PQ is good now :+1:t3:

1 Like

Ahh …yes the artfriend light weight and matt black finish . When i was experimeting with it lastime to do manual masking .

Now with blacker images coming from projectors there is no need to do that any more .

Wow you have a very understanding wife i am sure she agrees on the whole optical feel to the image quality .

Great to hear everything works out .

2 Likes

I still have one more doubt to clear. On video calibration for projectors

That is to have the meter positioned this way at the time of calibration like :point_down:

So I’ll attempt one more round of calibration using hdr cinema mode, after which I will be able to A B the current hdr game mode vs the net calibrated hdr cinema mode.

At the moment very satisfied with the hdr gaming mode, but let’s see if it really does help and looks nicer post calibration. That hdr game calibration had the meter placed 50cm from screen, angled upwards.

Let’s see, I must clear my doubts

Positive part is that hdr is a lot easier to calibrate and less time consuming on this PJ

1 Like

I have now completed this last night, and cleared all my doubts

It might be a bit unfair comparison but here is what I found.

For hdr calibration on this pj, the best picture mode for hdr is hdr game mode. Somehow there is more light output on this picture mode compared to cinema hdr mode. I left filmmaker mode intact for comparison purposes .

Also with meter at 50cm placement vs 2.5m placement following the chart above, it’s hard to tell the difference because the calibrated results was on cinema mode and I wasn’t as impressed. I still preferred the hdr game mode calibrated video with meter placed 50cm from screen. With that, I was able to clearly see highlights within specular highlights on the PJ screen. It’s very very good and it really pops for hdr

Calibration technique was similar, all settings similar. But surprisingly different results

I did compare 50cm meter placement with hdr cinema mode vs hdr game mode, and found that hdr game mode is still so much nicer . So can’t really tell 2.5m vs 50cm meter placement had that type of impact on video. Instead, choice for picture mode made the most difference to end results

Somehow in cinema mode, it feels a lot more warmer and less pop. The game mode has much more light going through and the blue looks much more prominent, much more neutral white type of video. Less warm greenish tone

Overall happy with the results , satisfying to have cleared all my doubt.

So my findings using xrite meter.

1. Always used wired Ethernet connection , avoid wifi .
  2. Make sure to have pattern generator downloaded to formatted FAT32 thumb drive
  3. Run pattern generator from source player, or Oppo, Xbox
  4. Disable all processing and video enhancement from hd fury or projector pic menu
  5. Depending on environment, set the energy saving mode, min on Pj to allow maximum light output . Max for min light through . Open iris to 8 at brightness optimiser setting on Pj
  6. Take a pic of the IP address on the LG PJ
  7. In LG software, choose SDR/hdr OLED (SDR when calibrating SDR and hdr for hdr calibration
  8. Find meter, then if xrite is connected, choose raw XYZ
  9. Find source when the SDR pattern generator mp4 file is playing on Oppo , choose manufacture Lg and model choose 2019 model , choose fhll 100% pattern
  10. Colour space Rec709, gamma 2.4. If hdr, rec2020 and
  11. Under xrite meter settings, Low light trigger set to 1cd/m2
  12. Make sure untick pattern insertion
  13. Direct display control choose Lg AU810PB, choose hdr game mode for hdr and expert dark for SDR , hit full ddc reset and make sure light is green before proceed. It is communicating with the Pj to load the LUT
    14 under settings application measurement options, uncheck both , uncheck pattern insertion for both time based and patch count based patterns . Then choose delta ITP for the autocal delta errors formula
  14. Run the 21 point for SDR and 20pt it hdr gray scale
  15. Run matrix lut for colours on hdr and 17 grid lut for SDR ( SDR takes 3-4hours, so u need that 10 hour pattern loaded)

That’s it , and voila !! U will enjoy fantastic hdr and SDR video

Re-enable tone mapping and other functions like adaptive contrast set to high, black levels Low, true cinema on. The rest can off or leave it to Low. Like mpeg noise etc

Enjoy. If need any help with calibrating your Lg PJ, let me know… last but not least, enjoy and adjust the iris back down to 2-3 depending on room conditions etc

The room plays a huge part, light control, light spill makes a difference and of course screen size, gain , material etc all play a part

Calman beta 4 is available , majority of the fixes are for PJ AU810PB

Might make another one attempt on hdr cinema mode, there appears to be some feature like hdr custom curve option now….

Interesting… will find out soon

Keeping my calibrated hdr game mode intact. That version is the best so far . Dare not touch it now

For those we have missed the calman R4 webinar, check it out above

Below is about LG custom hdr tone curve

Finally, all about colours below , enjoy the educational videos

Portrait Displays presents COLOR MATTERS, an all-encompassing cinematic miniseries on the art & science of Hollywood color, in collaboration with major motion picture post-production laboratory, FotoKem.

I’ve learnt so much using the calman software, they are so easy to use and superior in many ways when it comes to calibration , be in hdr or SDR or Dolby vision

New calman R4, can test it out, lotsa improvements for PJ owners

Enjoy!!

I’m enjoying mine … very very good hdr post calibration

1 Like

New version loaded !

Very clever indeed from calman, prevents users from installing the software on multiple machines. This means u can’t share the software license around, activation is limited by count of activation

Nonetheless, very pleased with the addition of features highlighted above :point_up:, fantastic news for Lg projector owners

There is also option to verify hdr now, post calibration. .

Now there is a proper workflow specifically for the LG Projector, this in my opinion, is priceless, especially for hdr projectors today, it is an absolute must for projector owners

it is very important to get hdr calibrated for the PJ.

Will make another attempt at autocal again… there is already some confirmation that the new autocal is beneficial…

Enjoy !

2 Likes

Definitely beneficial I can vouch!

1 Like

Oh ok I will make another attempt at calibration with the new software now. Hopefully will be able to squeeze in the time

I’ll still leave the existing profiles intact and this time use filmmaker mode instead

1 Like