Calibrating the LG AU810PB projector with calman

Portrait Displays website will have the info you need, if you wish to know if a certain brand/model is supported with autocalibration by CALMAN.

Have to see also if you are referring to which CALMAN software. CALMAN HOME is a consumer version, tailored to each brand, which has limitations but much cheaper in cost. If you are using the more expensive version of CALMAN, it should support more models I believe.

There are various calibration workflows in CALMAN. If I am not wrong, different brands might have different workflows.

If you email Portraits Display customer service with your PJ model, you probably can get the answer immediately.

1 Like

The first sentence above, answers your question.

Quote:
I have not seen any autocal feature made available with any projectors so far. Maybe there is.
Unquote:

The rest of it are general knowledge relating to calman autocal feature which is the subject of discussion of this thread . It is in no way related to your question. It’s general knowledge for other forum members who might be interested to know what this autocal calman 3D LUT and 1D lut is doing. So u can ignore if it is not applicable to you. But it might be applicable to others.

This discussion is not about you only and your Pj, it’s just general discussion on what this autocal feature is capable of, that’s all there is to it.

Nobody is trying to sell u anything or get u interested into something. Lol

Maybe u should pop that question to your seller, ask him, hey, my expensive 3D pj can do super good blacks, can it also do autocal like this Pj ? Maybe he will have an answer to your question

The other very important thing to note is don’t be fooled by comments from certain people, who tells you, my Projector has the best black levels and it’s the best!

Good black levels from a projector, is not what makes a good projector. It’s nice to have but it’s not necessarily true that projector with good black levels are the best.

One can easily raise black levels by adjusting the brightness controls on the Pj or iris, that’s not a problem to achieve blacker blacks. And then you have your gamma and EOTF tracking for hdr . It’s not just about blacks. Lol

So obviously, many don’t understand the fundamentals of what makes a good projector

Look at the grayscale tracking of this PJ. Courtesy of autocal from calman. RGB balance is very accurate down to 0% black and all the way to 100% white. It doesn’t crush shadow details below 10% or 5%.

Don’t forget, colour is also a % of white. So it’s not just about blacks.

Now unless you have the numbers to back your comments, it’s just silly to make remarks like “ it has worse blacks than my PJ”. Don’t embarrass yourself if you don’t have anything to prove or have factual data

Definitely don’t lower the brightness just to have better blacks, because then u will have crushed blacks, and your entire picture will look black and in the process losing shadow details

Given the two, I would rather sacrifice black levels a little, but never sacrifice shadow details. Because we don’t want to see a black screen, we want to see the details in a dark scene like the rocks within that black dark scene in the picture below

What we want to see is like the above, we can see clearly the shapes of the rock under the sea, beside that trident.

So there it is, let the measurements speak for themselves…. It’s not what I say, or what you say, or what he says that matters, it’s what the meter is measuring that matters…. There is no doubt about it….and we term this “reference” because it is just simply following a reference standard set down in the movie industry

1 Like

Bro, relax lar…

Perfect. Enjoy your projector.

Bro, get the JVC and no need to sacrifice the black level. You have gone the extra mile in setting up your environment, it’s time to experience the JVC in it. :slight_smile:

Haha…dun tempt him or he might just get it :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s another $20K…

It’s just another $20k. :slight_smile:

Yup just another 20k. Cheap! :see_no_evil:

Yo bro. How have u been? Long time no see. Hope all is well.

Yes I have read a lot of reviews on the JVC.very good blacks etc. but don’t be mistaken that the Lg has poor blacks, it has fantastic black levels. Let me just show u in a while. What I meant above for good projectors, it doesn’t mean pj with good black levels means it’s a good projector and it also doesn’t mean we should sacrifice black levels. What is important that most people are missing in Point is the dynamic range is what matters. The pipeline of how black is the black level and how white are peak whites, it’s that pipe size between the blackest of blacks to whitetest of white that matters…. This is where the Lg shines…

Prior to purchasing the laser Lg, I demoed the professionally calibrated N7 jvc, in a dedicated HT room. Honestly I wasn’t impressed at all with what I was seeing with the $10k+ projector . A non calibrated nx7 looks horrible for hdr out of the box, over saturated and totally way out from the calibrated reference. Not even 50% of its potential. After calibration it was very good. But the price was a deterrent and it’s not laser

I always try and reference what I do with the best, in the case here we have desray’s Sony laser . So we try and match it as best from a videophile

Let’s see below , let’s line up the pics in sequence

Sony laser $20k + lumagen radiance $4k PJ :point_down:

BenQ 2700 shared by Sammy :point_down: $3k Pj

BenQ 5700 hdr $4k Pj :point_down: share by me previously

LG AU810PB laser PJ :point_down: $6k shared by me now

As you can observe, this is just pics from camera,not really 100% accurate to what we are seeing, but more or less accurate and there. If it’s there it’s there.

I didn’t have a chance to take a pic on the JVC, if anyone has, can share this scene, black panther around 19mins time stamp , thereabout

U ask me, do I need to spend another $20k ?? Errrrrr… not that I cannot afford. I had a budget of $15k for the Pj. But it just cannot justify the price tag….

Black levels :point_up_2:t2: for the doubters… pull out the best image u can on whichever pj u own…

Don’t forget, the Picture from the Lg above, is taken in a living room in hdb room with no light control, not even a dedicated pitch black HT room.

You can pull out any other scene, u will again find the LG is superior , those with shadow details, peak whites, aquaman flower gate scene is one of it… u will see how good the dynamic tone mapping is on this pj.

The biggest difference I found is the ability for the calibration to work well with that projector. The calibration is so important .

Again I need to stress, it doesn’t matter how high end or how good the black levels are in the projector, if one cannot get the hdr calibrated to a specific reference standard set down by the industry, it’s futile.

There is no use having so high end hardware specs but it cannot get the colours and grayscale to track accurately…

I was struggling for hdr calibration on the BenQ pj, but with the autocal from calman, this made a huge difference.

So remember, that’s my journey and experience, the calibration for hdr matters and it’s very very important. The same pj calibrated by different person will yield different results as well…

Sorry, the pics are using LLDV using the hd fury to spoof for processing the image using dolby algorithm. So the price includes a hd fury vertex2 at $500-$600 bucks I think….

Bro. I’m good and healthy. Thanks.

Very nice and detailed comparison. I guess it’s time for another visit to your place and learn some tricks from you :slight_smile:

Oh, and @desray and I would love to visit you when your Jvc is here :sunglasses:

Haha…not yet confirm getting the JVC yet. Have to sell my Sony VW870ES first :stuck_out_tongue:

The new JVC laser projector definitely piqued my interest, to say the least. Both Sony and JVC projectors are renowned for their cinematic look to their imagery and both have their strengths and weaknesses as well but you can’t go wrong with either one of them. For instance, Sony’s color gamut is very wide, thanks to their in-house R&D which can achieve wide color gamut (WCG) easily w/o using any kind of color filter to “expand” the gamut. JVC, on the other hand, requires a filter to increase the color gamut to reach DCI-P3 but sacrificing lumens along the way. This new JVC laser model should address that “drop” in lumens. So it is exciting to see JVC NX series landed in Singapore.

1 Like

Ya it’s been a while. Slowly improving still whenever possible. Some stuff works, some don’t. Tiring but worth it in the end.

Hopefully we can catch up soon one day, there is a big difference from 2 years ago on the system… for the past 1 year or so I was more focused on video and stereo, managed to pick up a thing or two from some sellers… so that’s really valuable knowledge

Will catch up offline when the opportunity arise

Take care and stay safe

I have shifted to my new place in Punggol and have setup the screen and PJ.

Here are some screenshots.

Netflix 4K

Netflix 2K

Zidoo 2K

PJ: Epson TW8300W
Screen: Cyrus White

2 Likes

This Epson projector has very natural and accurate colors for Rec 709 rendition OOTB.

1 Like

This is the environment. I do not have the luxury of bat cave like I used to but more space.

2 Likes

Nice…clean, spick and span…

1 Like

Wow :star_struck: , so beautiful, nice picture too! Lovely!

You must be enjoying it ! Neat and tidy looks so relaxing and decluttered……

Simple and nice… likey likey

1 Like