All about XBox Gaming Consoles - One, One X, Series X

Hi Bros, any PQ and SQ comparison between the new Xbox series X and the older Xbox X?

It seems like after the latest firmware update from Denon has cause Netflix 5.1 channel to 2 channel PCM. I’ve checked the Audio settings on my Xbox One X and confirm it is in bitstream mode and Dolby Atmos engaged. However you playback a movie with Dolby Atmos track, it is able to playback in Atmos. Another interesting thing to note is that while I can’t get Dolby Atmos to playback for all movies streamed via Netflix, it does allow DTS:X MSTR for all movies after I have installed the DTS:X decoder (free) from the App store. But this will introduce another problem. Now movies with Dolby Atmos sound mix will not playback in Dolby Atmos.

Having say that, DTS:X does sound a tad better for all 5.1 sound mix. Is this a bug, actually I think not…prior to Denon’s latest firmware update on 11 Nov 20, ALL movies from Netflix, regardless whether in 5.1 or Dolby Atmos playback in Atmos and that isn’t right. In hindsight, the latest Denon firmware actually resolve this issue by only playback Dolby Atmos ONLY when a movie contain a Dolby Atmos sound mix and not otherwise. But it seems that it fix one thing and broke another.

Now I just simply use DTS:X for everything and so far, it sounded quite immersive in a very “object-based” flavour. Good or bad thing?

@Ronildoq - Are you able to playback 5.1 on your Netflix movie instead of 2 channel PCM?

1 Like

Xbox 360 to series X is a big massive upgrade for me… so many things u can do, it even has a feature where u can buzz for the remote to vibrate, in case if u misplaced it somewhere in the house ! lol didn’t know all these features exists

Very powerful piece of hardware, worth every penny coming from Xbox 360

Dtsx again, sounded fantastic on the series x

But one thing to note, the console is hot when running disc games ! Very hot. Had to turn on the fan blowing towards the Xbox with aircond turned on, if not it is very hot !

I found the same thing. On the series x, once u engage dtsx, everything locks in to dtsx, even original Atmos movies are being played back in dtsx

On the Xbox console, everything is “locked down” to that format.

Once I choose Atmos, every movie plays in Atmos. Once I change to dtsx, everything plays In dtsx. So on Netflix Atmos, the lyngdorf lights up the dtsx logo and it plays back in dtsx

But I must say that dtsx sounds nicer actually.

Will be testing out more content along the way…

Didn’t test out 5.1 on Netflix, so far just tested Atmos, it works nicely. But still have some work on the video side of things

But very promising piece of hardware

This new Xbox Series X seems to have some thermal issues. You are not the first to mention this heat issue. Over time, this is not good, heat is the number enemy for all electronics. I hope Microsoft can come up with a solution soon. The irony of this is…there have more vents than the previous models and yet, it is unable to dissipate heat effectively, what gives?

See if it only output 2.0 channel PCM when playback 5.1. I think it should be the same as my XBox One X since your observations so far matches mine like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X .

Yes it is not good. It’s not warm, it’s actually HOT :hot_face: , a bit scary. Need to turn on fan, gaming can take easily 1-2 hours.

I can actually feel the heat from the front stage. It’s the hottest equipment in the chain

Will observe the 2.0 pcm today.

Getting the footers in today for the speakers too. Still haven’t completed HDR calibration

Wow, lotsa work , busy busy, still haven’t figured out how to sync the old wireless remote to the console …

Quite advanced the series X, u can also customise the remote for certain game play, for shooter, rpg, soccer, so many things

Bro, I did share some news with you regarding the heating up issues for Xbox X Series. Hope a firmware will resolve the issue and no need for hardware change. YLOD was haunting the Xbox 360 earlier model, mine included.

1 Like

Ron, how’s the drive noise? Feedback on YouTube is that it’s noisy. I saw the teardown of the Xbox vs ps5, and ps5’S drive looks better insulated from vibration.

Yes it is hot :hot_face: indeed. Especially when running games on the disc

No noise issues or tray loading issues so far

But heat dissipation is a massive issue now, gotta standby a fan

I was looking at this tear down video on ventilation and heat sink

More videos, stop the FOMO

Here is the math on the BenQ 5700 running 4k 60fps, 8 bits depth is the max since hdmi 2.0 only supports 18gbps

Looks like I’ll have to revise some of the settings

Also turned off “auto HDR”, what this does is it converts SDR source to HDR, which is a big no no for me

YCC 4:2:2 is something I’m not sure if should be checked, Vincent from HDTV test left it unchecked. But I guess I’ll check it, if running on 8 bit colour depth

I suppose with a chroma sub sampling at 4:2:0, 12 bit 4k 60hz can be supported. Makes sense to go with this option

Huh? U left it checked or unchecked? It should be turned off as it will limit the bit depth to 8-bit. 10-bit and above helps to smooth out the gradient and less banding.

I left it checked, so if it does support YCC, it can support 12bit, there will be enough bandwidth, otherwise it will be full RGB 4:4:4. That’s taking up lotsa bandwidth and if I choose full 4:4:4, then something else must be sacrificed, either refresh rate or colour depth 12 to 8 bit

So I went with 12 bit colour , checked allow YCC,60hz and 4k

I suppose if it sends 4:4:4, then automatically 12bit won’t apply will be downgraded to 8bit

Either way, it will not be possible to hit 10 or 12bit 4k 60hz 4:4:4, the best is 8bit

Unless I sacrifice 4:4:4 or 60hz, either 1 must make way to allow for bandwidth

Now who is the one who said we don’t need 48gbps !?? Dunno who said we will never hit that kind of bandwidth… lol

Fast forward to today, we now have an equipment that needs > 40gbps bandwidth for the full experience

When you get in the next PJ, gotta check these features, if it has VRR, Full uncompressed HDMI 2.1 with min 48gbps speed…

That’s gonna cost… and not going to be ready so soon

If I’m a serious gamer, I will never use projector. 8K at 60fps is the next in thing but we are not here yet.

1 Like

One of the good thing about the series X is we can now use remote play on console and take advantage of playing games on the mobile phone, or PC or display that is able to add the Xbox app, as long as they are on the same network

Basically you can play the game anywhere in the house , including your OLED TVs in the room . But not sure how is the Quality of this remote play feature, haven’t really tested but it’s there !

For non serious gamers like me, it is bloody immersive playing the games on 135” screen in Atmos HDR , haven’t even dived in to bass EQ

The experience have been very good so far on the avengers RPG game with HDR and Atmos

Having a good midbass subwoofer is rather addictive, especially when u hit that AABB up down and some special moves happen :rofl:

But the only real concern I have now is the series X is extremely hot. Even on standby mode it is warm…

I’m sure Microsoft will come up with a fix soon. Hopefully it doesn’t involve throttling the GPU and frame rate suffers.

HDR base layer will be at 10bit. Only the DV layer requires 12bit. For movies, unless you are watching Gemini Man kind of show which requires more bandwidth because it is in HFR, otherwise, YCC 4:2:2 at 12bit at 23.976Hz movie at 4K should be fine. For HDR games, default to 10bit and uncheck YCC may be a better option.

Just to check, if there is any noticeable “banding” when YCC is checked and bit depth dropped to 8bit?

1 Like

Oh ok, I’ll do just that, just as advised by Vincent from HDTV test as well

Haven’t really deep dived yet, will report along the way

Too many things to play around now

Maybe this will help to mitigate the heat issue?

1 Like

Raised black level on the xbox series x. Only affects the bluray player.