Which 12" subwoofer to get? Paradigm XR13, Rythmik F12, DefTech DN12 or M&K Sound X12

The x12 specs and weight seem very much like the kk dxd12012 ya?

Does anyone know if the sound signature and capabilities is similar between x12 and dxd12012?

I rem owning the dual dxd12012 few years back for quite some time. Its unique strength is in its midbass. The thump is very piercing sharp, detailed and layered. So far i have not heard a better sub that i like for midbass vs the dual kk 12012 in terms of piercing thump and the layering.

To answer that, if you are free, just come down to my place next week for a listen lor.

4 Likes

Thx for the invite! Will definitely visit u one day.

You know what…

As a ex dual kk12012 owner swapping to dual e112 after hearing your JL setup many years ago, who was convinced that the e112 could give 70% of what kk12012 could give in terms of midbass thump and tactile, I’m super duper curious what made u change. :laughing:

3 Likes

Being using JL Audio for almost 6 years and most of my gears have changed like AVR, projectors, the inclusion of a Lumagen Radiance Pro for all my VP and DTM needs etc…I thought it is a good time to change my subwoofer to a different “sealed” subwoofer with a different bass signature. My focus is on a 12" subwoofer and not too big as I have no space and also I am not a bass head. I prefer my bass to be tactile and loud enough to fill the room. My experience with E112 has set a standard for my listening experience and I already know what I expect from a subwoofer “in my room”. Anthem ARC’s excellent sound after calibration is also one of the driving forces that propel me to look for a new subwoofer. Truthfully, M&K Sound subwoofers have been on my radar, and so has Perlisten, but the latter is too expensive. One D15S cost more than my dual X12!!! I need 2 subwoofers to ensure a smooth freq response in my room.

It is a gamble that pays off…my JL Audio also find a prospective buyer and hopefully close the deal by next weekend.

2 Likes

Sometimes, I wonder if it is better to get two different subwoofers for music and HT and not to mix the two. Something like a KEF KC62 or SVS SB3000 Micro for music. Can always turn on the big sub if you are listening to say organ music

Sure if you want that…just create 2 different profiles using the same set of speakers but a different subwoofer. I never really try that but it is definitely doable. IMO you can do that if you really want.

For me, I will not go for 2 different subs to serve 2 different purposes - one for movies and one for music as you will never get the BEST experience. Everything is 50-50. I would rather focus on one use case - e.g. movies and I will tweak the spk and bass response on movies. Of course, I have a bias towards sealed subwoofer as I firmly believed that sealed subwoofer provides the best of both worlds - i.e. movies and music. Unless you are a bass fiend that wants to go infrasonic where you literally feel the bass to your bones, then ported sub might be the way to go.

1 Like

Sealed subs do sound tighter for music, but do you think sealed subs improve movies vs ported subs?

One can also plug the ports.

Drop by my place to have a listen to the M&K Sound X12 sealed subs and how it performs on both movies and music. :blush:

1 Like

This is the right thing to do @sammy , then sunbian check out the video on the jvc and lumagen too :wink: best ! One stone kill 3 birds

The key to understanding your “personal preferences” , is by visiting as many set ups as possible… to also understand what is possible in other homes or set up… u will find that u might like this at his place, but prefer that at another place… slowly u will understand what u want…

Once you have visited as many set ups, u will then have the insights and knowledge on what is possible and how you can level up your own system, if u decide to take that path

You will also know which set up sounded best and if you should emulate the good and execute it at your own place

It’s also good as you get to make new friends in this hobby and share knowledge the same time…

1 Like

Haven’t been to Desray’s place in more than 20 years - I remember his grey wall - but intend to after I get back in mid July

2 Likes

Yes, visit around whenever possible… it’s very good…

I’ve visited many Rooms including mixing studios etc… everytime I visit… I try and first observe the acoustic aspects in the room, followed by the gears in use and how it is placed…

You will be surprised how much difference the placement makes, be it speaker or equipment for vibration control etc…

Then observe the quality of the sound, the soundstage, imaging, tracking , impact and bass articulation, video quality, hdr, SDR, clarity so on…

Once the rounds are complete, u wil know the good and bad…almost every set up I visited there is something good to take home, I try and emulate the good, from then on, pick the right one and follow the path…

Suddenly you will be surprised how good the system sounds…

I’m sure you’re right. A lot of the places around here have Trinnov, Quad Seaton 18s :wink:, Lumagen, high end JVC and Sony projectors and they will look and sound amazing.

Right now, I’m sitting in the USA, listening to Norah Jones on a stereo system that I just put together at a relative’s and am quite proud of. It has a WIIM Mini streamer ($80) feeding bit perfect Tidal to a SMSL SU-1 AKM DAC ($68), driving a Audioscience Review’s top rated Ayima A07 class D amp ($60) and connected to a pair of Wharfedale Crystal speakers ($150 whitelabeled on Amazon). This ChiFi is darn near perfect. I know the S$50-100K+ systems in Singapore sound and look amazing, but it also gave me great pleasure to get this quality from about USD350.

Economists like to talk about marginal utility and I’m a fan. Perhaps one day I will spend more on this hobby, but I’m still trying to see what I can get away in Singapore with e.g., MadVR PC and a USD1.7K open box LG Laser projector. My purpose to visit other setups would be to see if I’ve gotten to say 90% with what I’ve got or whether I should finally take out my CPF :rofl:

3 Likes

Yep… diminishing returns when it comes to getting that last mile improvement.

Very true ! I like that mentality, it’s not really about spending and spending on the hardware. Room acoustics play a huge role too… I often see people spend and change gears all the time but don’t work on improving room acoustics that can and has such a big impact to overall presentation… there are also some who spend excessively on acoustics …

Either way, it is what it is with this hobby…

I think once u r in this hobby… a decent budget is required… how much is considered decent, will vary from people to people…

I was just looking at the Kaleidascape yesterday, and I was assessing it, I found that they sound and look better than the original disc… I was kinda shocked too when we did the comparisons…

But the Kaleidascape cost a bomb…

It’s out of my league too… do I want it ? Yes I do! Do I need it? Not really…Some compromise is fine like you have mentioned , 80% is good enough…

One would need to decide for themselves…

But it is also true with the Chinese saying that goes “Yi Fen Qian, Yi Fen Huo”… some really are worth its price… we are the best person to decide

I assume you are at Clarity AV?

Oh not at clarity, another friends place

I see.

I can build you custom spekers using high end components and that will be cost effective too for the sound you get. :wink:

2 Likes

All my DIY sub are done by Synthesis.
His carpentry work is outstanding and price also reasonable :+1::heart:

1 Like