The new Roku Ultra 2020 version with Dolby Vision arrives!

Just received my new toy…will pit it against Apple TV and see how it performs tmr night after work.

1 Like

Congrats !! Nice , look forward to your review on this

I’m awaiting the Xbox series X for all YouTube Netflix stuff

Dolby Vision? I gotta buy that XD

Yes with DV and Dolby Atmos. This new model is faster and snappier when it comes to navigation. Roku interface, though not a charmer serves it’s function well. More importantly, it has some of the popular streaming platforms like Youtube 4K HDR (not even Apple TV has it with it’s latest firmware upgrade to TVOS 14.2), Apple TV (retain all the 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos tracks just like the original Apple TV itself) , Netflix (4K with DV and Dolby Atmos passthrough) and even Disney Plus (not avail in SG yet). All at less than S$149.

2 Likes

Nice to hear that Roku Ultra having good review. Will be my next toy.

Hey Desray, thanks for sharing. Does this supports DTS X as well? What about remux from hdd? How is picture and audio quality? Is this truly a Nvidia shield pro 2019 on a budget in your opinion?

Nice Desray!

Does it do Amazon Prime 4k and atmos dare I hope?

Player led Dolby Vision? Is it LLDV?

I just learned this week there is 2 levels of Dolby Vision, LLDV, and ‘full fat’ DV which I have no idea what is the difference… :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I don’t think DTS X is supported. There is one USB 3.0 port at the rear which can be used to connect to an external flash drive or external storage (HDD). I need to test it. But in terms of media file support, it supports MKV and codecs include HEVE H2.64/2.65, VP8/VP9 (proprietary Youtube video codec for 4K HDR streaming which Apple TV only support half of its feature), AVC 1 (open-source which will replace YouTube 4K HDR streaming in the near future and we can expect more support from other streaming platform, fingers crossed). Audio-wise is tricky…although it states support for EAC3, Dolby Atmos, DTS Core (No DTS X) amongst others, I will need to test it. Maybe later in the day. But don’t expect to use Roku as a full fledged media player like Zidoo or Zappiti. The core is still streaming and it is checking all the boxes in terms of streaming.

Yes, it is able to do LLDV definitely as long as connected to the HD Fury Vertex 2 (middleware). My projector did pick up the DV signal. To answer your question on what DV flavor is LLDV…it is always Profile 5 layer with the typical PQ Curve (ST2084) maxing at 1,000nits.

Player-led means decoding of the DV (or LLDV) will be performed at the device level before outputting the signal to the display output (TV or Projector) while TV-led, as the name implies, will let the display output (in this case, ONLY the TV, sadly no projector here…forget about the China-made UST projector that claimed to do DV decoding at display level) do the DV decoding…which often result in more superior PQ over its Player-led counterpart.

Every streaming platform that you want will be in Roku with the exception of HBO Max or so I read…

There has been quite an improvement in the hardware department for the new Roku Ultra 2020 this year…one of the most notable change is the use of the more powerful Realtek chipset (RTD1319) as opposed to its predecessor which utilize the ARMS Cortex A53 chipset found in most cheap TV streaming box. As we know, Realtek chipset is also used in the latest Zidoo Z9X and also Zappiti 4K media player for decoding 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos/DTS X audio codec. In theory, the RTD1319 which is a step up from RTD1296 which is used in Zidoo X9S media player. Unfortunately, Roku only has a barebone media player app called, Roku Media Player…so I doubt it will tap on the potential of the new powerful Realtek chipset for decoding. We shall see when I do some testing but I am not holding my breath.

Here are the specs on the Roku Ultra:

Resolution: 4K, up to 2160p at 60fps (3830 x 2160)
HDR: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG
Ports: HDMI 2.0b, Ethernet 10/100, USB 3.0
Networking: 802.11ac dual-band, MIMO wireless, ethernet
Audio: Digital stereo over HDMI, DTS Digital Surround pass through over HDMI, Dolby Atmos decode via HDMI, local playback over USB, Bluetooth
Remote: Voice remote with personal shortcuts, TV power/volume/mute, headphone jack for wireless listening
Smart Assistants: Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Roku voice search
Video Codecs: H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9.2 (.MKV); AV1 (.MP4, .MKV)
Audio Codecs: AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3 (.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV); FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV); PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV); AC3/EAC3 (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .AC3); DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A); HEAAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .AAC); AC-4 with Atmos (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .AC4 ); DD+ (EAC3) with Atmos (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)
Size: 4.9 in x 1.0 in, 5.0 in (W x H x D)
Weight: 5.9 ounces

1 Like

Local market only have the normal 2019 model. Did you got yours from amazon us?

Yup…got mine from Amazon :slight_smile:

The model is 4800x…

I got mine! Finally seeing Netflix in 4k and atmos…also YouTube in 4k…

Read the news that Netflix is increasing compression and cutting 4k bitrate by 50%. Is that US only or across the board?

Tried the built in media player… Definitely cannot replace a dedicated media player…

Congrats…I have the say the interface is archaic based on today’s standards. But as long as the app works, I’m happy. As for Netflix increasing the compression rate, so far I don’t see any difference. The Roku built-in media player is a joke, no need to waste your time. Use a dedicated media player for your media files that resides in your NAS.

Solution found for micro-stutter to Netflix App on Roku Ultra

One of the dumbest decision by Roku is to disable the auto sync refresh rate for Netflix. The reason cited by Roku is the user’s complaints of display blank out so every often whenever switching between the menu and the Netflix app itself. So in order to resolve this, Roku took the path of least resistance by simply disallowing Roku to get in sync with the 23.976fps for Netflix movies. This inevitably caused “micro-stutter” whenever we play a Netflix movie (which natively is in 23.976fps). I have just found a way to resolve this at least on my Sony laser projector. Apparently all I need to do is to disable the True Cinema mode (optimised for both video and film mode which has a refresh rate of 60fps and 24fps respectively) for Motion Flow.

If this is happening to your TV or any display, you may want to ensure all motion interpolation or equivalent setting is turned off.

Just tried to install Amazon Prime Video in Roku and cannot locate the app in the list.

A quick Google search yielded this info.

Any possible solution or workaround?

Roku is so slow and I heard app is based on geography (where we live). To date, I still can’t get Disney Plus channel to appear on the streaming App Store.

C’mon Roku.

It turns out I need to use a VPN to create a new account first in order to get more channels, amongst those you guess it - Disney Plus. It is working beautifully on my Roku Ultra 2020 :slight_smile:

Desray, meaning need to VPN and create an account based in a country that does offer Disney + and Prime Video, ie USA?

Just for the account creation, the subsequent connection and data doesn’t need to go through the VPN?

Account opening Can be done using the free VPN in Opera browser?