The new Roku Ultra 2020 version with Dolby Vision arrives!

Yea I just bought on behalf on my uncle as well, shopping in directly from amazon USA $140 landed , the new roku ultra 2020…

Will need to see how it can be done …

Mine is pretty simple on the Xbox

That is correct, bro. :+1:

2 Likes

Ok got it. So that’s how it’s done, connection goes to a USA store where the said app is available . Vide a VPN, the app detects the geographical location and then allows one to access its USA store . Apps are available on the USA store and once download of the app is complete, log out from the VPN connection and use the normal SG connection

:+1:t2:

That’s right…

Alright, just guided my uncle on how to install the Disney app on roku, all good :muscle:t2:

Guys quick question, the roku was purchased my uncle, he doesn’t know how to turn it off ! :rofl:

Anyone knows how u can turn this off or put it in standby mode or sleep mode ?

Or maybe auto off due to inactivity ? Any such settings available ?

He said it is strange , no way to off it or set it to standby mode

Since I don’t own a unit, I can’t help much

Here I found the solution,

You can set it to auto off in 30mins of inactivity

But there is also a way to go into secret screen

Interesting

Enjoy the video

Yes, there is no shut down feature for Roku devices. It’s constantly on. During inactivity, it will conserve energy by going into standby (sleep mode). This is why there is practically no need to hit the software update feature to get updates because it always running in the background to receive s/w updates.

I see, ok thanks. No wonder he was searching high and Low for the power off button. :rofl:

My uncle when he switches the receiver off, the roku goes off.

Is it CEC linked ? I think it’s doing a hdmi trigger off

Yes…it can be CEC-linked.

1 Like

Had the opportunity to check out the roku ultra 2020 version and I must say the video and audio is so much more superior to many other streaming devices out there. It was even better than the internal TV apps. It is that good.

Not bad, very easy to use as well. Highly recommended this roku ultra 2020 model.

Whilst I haven’t had the opportunity to compare it side by side with the Xbox series X, the fact that it is able to do better than the built in app from the tv itself says it all

Lotsa noticeable improvements in video and audio from Netflix and especially Disney +. So clear and nice video from Disney +

Haha…your uncle lend you ah?

I visited him last night, very good first time seeing it so clear on his tv. Compared to previous version before the roku ultra 2020

Yes…the reason why there is such a massive difference is because of the change from ARM Cortex A53 (found in most MIC TV box) to the Realtek RTD1319 chipset. This is necessary in order to support Dolby Vision. We all know RealTek performed remarkably well in 4K UHD compared to ARM-based SoC which is low-powered.

1 Like

Oh no wonder, so good the video. Now I understand why. Thanks ! :pray:

Some info on RTD1319

https://www.realtek.com/en/press-room/news-releases/item/realtek-4k-set-top-box-soc-rtd1319-rtd1311-to-support-android-10-on-android-tv

UHD Android and RDK STB (RTD1319/RTD1311/RTD1619/RTD1611)
Multiple System Operators (MSOs) need a highly secured, constantly upgradable open source platform in order to provide premium multimedia services delivery over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. Based on Google Android TV Operation System & RDK (Reference Design Kit managed by the RDK Management open source consortium), Realtek Semiconductor has delivered a series of UHD STB SOCs with multiple HDR standards, high-security Conditional Access, and advanced DRM technologies, thereby offering the most reliable multimedia STB solutions for MSOs. In addition, among the series, the RTD1319/RTD1311 are the world’s first STB SOCs embedded with a 4K AV1 video decoder. The two also support AVS2.0 video decoder, which is popular in the Chinese-speaking regions, making them the best candidates for both Western and Oriental MSOs.

There is also the 8k version ,RTD2893

8K Android TV and AI TV (RTD2851M/RTD2893)
The Realtek RTD2851M is a 4K TV SoC, and the RTD2893 is an 8K upgrade companion chip. Together, the two proffer a true 8K TV solution that features 8K60Hz decoding with AV1, VP9, and HEVC decoders, 12GHz HDMI2.1 input capable of receiving an 8K data stream, super resolution, 8K noise reduction, and all related 8K picture quality processes. The RTD2893 and RTD2851M jointly can directly drive 8K120Hz panels, support Android Q, and implement Google far field voice. For AI TV applications, turnkey hardware and software based on the RTD2893/RTD2851M can support multi-tasking AI picture quality processing to achieve multiple-purpose AI computing in one piece of hardware.

Just found out the Roku ultra Ethernet port is not gigabit port ! The speeds on wired Ethernet are tops 90+ mbps only and wireless is much faster….

Didn’t know it’s not a gigabit Ethernet port…

Speaking of compression, if u have a roku and u r streaming for Disney or Netflix etc, this is another thing to take note.

Set the audio to “pass through” , if u put it to auto, something is happening also, the sound becomes soft and the tactile for explosion is gone, comparing the movie extraction 2 , it was a big difference setting to pass through and auto

The default settings is auto, u want to change this to “pass through “

1 Like