Raspberry Pi PGenerator Thread

Aiyo. Sorry to hear that PGen didn’t work well. As the pioneer in using PGen with the AU810, you are forging new boundaries and finding pitfalls. Perhaps you can report it to the AVSForum PGenerator thread to see if they have any comments.

Pgen seems to work quite well in SDR with my Samsung TV doing manual calibration with my dE for both color and 10 point greyscale under 1. Subjectively, the picture looks good in SDR with the skin tones spot on and seemingly more dynamic range. I haven’t done the HDR manual calibration for the Samsung yet. I do notice the calibration is fairly sensitive to the temperature so if I run it right after turning on, the dE is higher compared to when I keep it on for 30 mins or so.

After I finish with the Samsung TV, I’ll move on to the LG projector to see if I have the same problems you have. My strategy will be to compare the lightning and faster 9 point LUT before running a longer one.

BTW, were you able to run a post calibration check using PGen since its not possible with the internal PG?

Am glad you ask. PGen is faster than LGen…

Also there is an option call “rolling” to select before start of calibration to make grayscale better… when it finishes the first round, calman will random select those “out of place” points to try it’s best to make it center. I uses that option.

1 Like

You mean HDR? Nope. It works the same way at the LGen. Just that the pattern is generated from Pi rather that LG itself. The rest of it are the same. HDR don’t show post result.

I should have run a 9pt first but I’m thinking just whack and maybe I don’t need to do it again. “Maybe” cost me another night lol

Maybe TV is different compared to projector. I trust that TV will work.

When using Pgen, the grayscale is not as good starting from black “12” and below. Comparing to using LGen, it still able to give good control on the points to try to bring it to D65 center.

Comes to colors, like I mentioned, LGen beats Pgen out far. I think it has something to do with the color pattern generated from within LGen vs from Pgen. I swear I follow the tutorial from AVS for both SDR and HDR. HDR not that bad. I still prefers the one from LGen and yes I did notice the diff.

SDR is :roll_eyes::face_exhaling:… The post result points is not even close to the little squares lohhhhhh… Sigh

Thanks bro @wind. Happy to know that it’s faster. At least can shave off some time when we do the more time consuming fixed grids! The time taken for 17pt fixed grid and above drives me crazy :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Roughly how many % of time did it save ah bro?

Finally managed to find time away from my young kids to start setting up my Pgen for the very 1st time. Understand that I have to flash the Pgen image to the SD card first before creating an account in Device Control.

The SD card (16GB) that came with the Raspberry seems to have something pre-loaded and has few partitions, and there are partitions ‘boot’ and ‘recovery’ with files inside. Do I (i) retain these partitions; or (ii) wipe them all out, combine the partitions into 1 including boot partition and format? Worried I may break something, so wanted to check first.

And if the answer is (i), which partition should I flash the Pgen img to?

Below is the SD card default partitions when it came.

Flashing the PGen ISO is not linked to creating an account for Device Control. You can do it in any order. Your SD card should be full of stuff you can download off the Internet so its easily replaced and designed for real newbies to get started on Linux. The flashing of the ISO should completely wipe it out, as most ISO flashes do. However, I didn’t check the card to see if anything was left. I flashed to an empty SD card.

1 Like

sorry guys, seems there is no other raspberry pi thread, so I hijack the topic to post some non-pgen related queries, my apologies!

@sammy bro Sammy, did you manage to get your pi from 14 element? I read through the volumio setup, it’s very straightforward but seems it needs a separate pi to run volumio OS. so I might have to buy additional pi for volumio. thanks!

Based on my best estimate about 40mins according to my old lappy. Vaguely saw 5hrs plus vs 4hrs plus… I can’t determine the “plus” though

1 Like

Volumio will need its own SD card. It’s not able to “share” the SD card for Pgen and volumio for example.

If you have only 1 Pi, it’s as simple as changing the SD Card to the respective OS you wish to use. This is what I’ve been doing and I have 3 SD card. One for Pgen(previous used for volumio), ezbeq, Roon bridge each… I interchange them often. BUT each time you want to change, you will need to perform graceful shutdown. This is to prevent corruption of data which potentially result in reflashing… I know cos I used to just pull the power off from the Pi lol

thanks bro Wind, that alignes with my understanding too, last night I backup the ezBEQ microSD card, and placed order for another card and card reader from amazon.sg. and would like to see whether bro Sammy managed to get his Pi 4 from 14 element, if can get Pi 4 at the price 14 element offers, that’s great deal and I don’t have to swap cards frequently.

before I got my friend’s pi, I went through quite a few videos, and learned how to proper power on/off pi, and how to backup the system/cards.

The more I learned, the more applications I found pi can do, that’s real fun.

I couldn’t wait, so I got a used Pi 4b from Carousell for $100 in the end. Test Volumio out first with your existing Pi as prices should come down in the not too distant future. I recently acquired a streamer called a WiiM Mini from Amazon. It was USD90. Really a superb streamer with a good app and is bit perfect up to 192Khz from optical interface. People on audiosciencereview love it although Amir didn’t because it is not (yet) Roon compatible. Supports Tidal connect and Spotify connect and can even send DSD to a DAC via Audirvana over my network. Quite amazing for the price. So I intend to try free Volumio at some point, but this works so well already, I haven’t been incentivized yet.

1 Like

After completing the SDR calibration a few days ago, I used PGen for a HDR10 calibration of my 2016 Samsung 4K TV. Simply could not get Samsung’s 10 point greyscale adjustments to work, so I only managed to calibrate 2pt grey scale and the CMS. I think these older HDR TVs were just not designed properly to allow HDR calibration. There was an improvement but could not get average greyscale or colorspace below dE of 1. The picture looks good so fairly happy, but the SDR just looks much nicer. Not surprising given the relatively ancient HDR TV.

I’m still waiting for additional pi from element14. I placed order 6 months ago and still oos. I’ve asked and they replied next batch is April 23?!

I hooked up PGen to my HU810 and ran the Lightning LUT in SDR. Here is the result. The dE for Greyscale was 0.8 and dE for Colorspace was 4.4 (think this is normal for Lightning LUT). Am doing a HDR cal now and will rerun SDR with a higher point LUT after this. Seems to be working as expected.

wah, that’s terrible, I dare not to order through them in this case, waiting for more than one year? that’s crazy…

$100 is a good deal for a used pi 4b, and thanks for the recommendation of WiiM Mini, worth exploring!

The HDR cal with Matrix LUT through PGen had huge dE even though the greyscale calibrated well. No time to debug it as light will run out for my 17pt SDR calibration which will take 6 hrs.

In HDR, I was able to run a post cal measurement and bring up the pre/post screen. I wasn’t able to do that with the internal LG generator. Except that the result wasn’t good with the Matrix LUT & PGen, so I quickly deleted it :crazy_face:

I’m rolling the dice with the 17pt 3D LUT tonight. Wish me luck :grinning:

Apparently they won’t charge your credit card until they ship, so I left my order there. If it turns up one day, it will be cheap.

2 Likes