*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Here is the support from denon, not only does it apply to denon processors , it applies to all other processors also, the logic is the same for the rest of the processors …

When do I Initialize the Microprocessor / Reset the Microprocessor and why?

Although you’ll rarely need to “initialize the microprocessor” under normal operating conditions, there are a few cases the microprocessor may temporarily freeze or lock up. When this happens, simply follow the guidelines in your owner’s manual to “reboot” the microprocessor and restore normal operation.

If you experience some unusual behavior – a channel that’s suddenly silent, “forgotten” level adjustments, some eccentricities in your unit, this could be a sign you may need to reset the microprocessor. Of course, you should check all connections carefully first. If you’ve eliminated connection and setup errors as a source of potential problems, you may need to go through the initialization process.

The procedure will be listed as “Initialization of the Microprocessor”, “Resetting the Microprocessor” or “Factory Reset” as each unit has its own individual protocol for reset. The reset procedure is usually listed towards the rear section of the owner’s manual or may be in the AVR’s GUI (menu) if you have a newer model, but you will see exactly what page this procedure can be found on by looking at the Table of Contents in the front section of the manual.

There are several issues that can cause a unit to improperly work or freeze up, such as a jolt of static electricity or an electrical surge through an input. When you do initialize the microprocessor, please remember that this erases any saved settings you may have previously programmed into the unit. As a tip, if you write down your preferred settings BEFORE you reset your unit’s microprocessor, you’ll have an even easier task of setting up the unit after the reset occurs. With Networked models, you can use the Web (Browser) Control feature to back up your settings by saving a configuration file on your hard drive

What firmware version are you on now?

Seeking some opinions from all expert bro here. Should I go for MRX1140 or MRX540+MCA225 to drive my power hungry left & right dynaudio contour 3.4. Was using a Marantz SR7009 before to drive a simple 5 channels setup in a 4mx7m room. I don’t play loud. Preferred details than bass heavy for movie. Any comments. No intend to expand to 7channels nor Atmos. But will play in Atmos mode using 5channels if the source is in Atmos. Thks!

Since you are not crazy about bass and on that account, I would assume you only have one subwoofer. If you have already set your mind not to future-proof yourself with anything more than 5 channels or install in/on-ceiling speakers, then the choice is clear…go for the MRX 540 + MCA 225 (Gen 2) combo.

This below is what I’m seeing on screen for the various updates applied

You have the latest beta host firmware of HD.73/00.04. This is meant solely for AVM70/90. For MRX series, the host firmware will be 00.68/00.03 instead. My network module version is 1.111.183.

Thks desray for your input. Had been searching the internet on the differences between MRX 540, 740 & 1140. Only differences are the power output, number of channels supported & a toroidal transformer for 1140. As for DSP chip, cannot find any infos so was wondering will the lowest end MRX540 be missing out on audio processing capability for movie. In addition, if don’t play loud will the power amp makes any differences or the MRX 1140 will b a better choice although I will use at most 5 channels processing

The first batch of production for BOTH the MRX and the AVM series were using AK4458VN and AK4499EQ respectively. That is to say, MRX 540, 740 and 1140 are all using the SAME AKM chipset across the board. If this is correct, then I would venture to say that if Anthem were to swap the AKM chip for the Sabre ESS chio for all their new batches, it should be the same chipset utilize for their respective category.

Great to hear that Anthem is using the same DSP chip across their model. Much easier choice now. E77 still got MRX540 stock. No need to wait for 3months for new shipment. Hopefully, the current stock is using the new chip. Thks for the infos.

1 Like

Welcome to the Anthem family…

Hi guys

My 13 years old Marantz SR6004 just died. No audio coming out of it.

Likely join the Anthem club after reading so many good reviews.

I’m on a tight budget so looking at their cheapest MRX540 which they are having a 8.8 promo. Tomorrow will go for the demo at E77. If all goes well I’ll have to pay 50% deposit to secure the promo deal and the waiting period is 90-120 days. :woozy_face:

I’m concerned about the ARC calibration. Hope it’s not too complicated.

1 Like

You’ll love the sound signature of Anthem…BTW what system you have, meaning 5.1.4? or 5.2.2 etc? If you have atmos speakers or wish to go this path, then MRX 740 may be a better deal. Of course, go with what your budget can stretch.

1 Like

Of cos 740 will be great but budget constraint 540 is good enough. Actually I’m running 9.1.4.

Front, front height, ctr, side surr, back surr & 4 small ceiling speaker standby for Atmos.

I have 4 stereo power amps which was connected to Marantz receiver.

My configuration for Anthem will be the same as Marantz:-

Front > 250w amp
Ctr > 200w amp
Side surr + rear Atmos > 180w amp
Front height + front Atmos > 200w amp
Back surr > Anthem

I see. 4 stereo power amps. What brands are those?

1 pc Rotel & 3 pcs of Korsun (China brand already obsoleted). The external power make a great difference to the sound especially concert.

Will be officially joining Anthem club in a week time. Am just in the entry level. MRX540+MCA225G2. The MRX will be delivered 1st as stock is still available.
Am not expert in this field but just sharing what I heard. MRX only Vs MRX +MCA. This is my own opinion. My last AVR was a Marantz SR7009.

The MRX only without ARC - Surr/Movie

• much more details than the usual Japanese brand… Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer & Marantz. Something refreshing for me.

The MRX only without ARC - Stereo

• Not day or nite difference as compared to Marantz SR7009. But musical.

The MRX+MCA without ARC - Surr/Movie

• needed to drop the volume a few db down cause a bit loud as compared to just using the MRX. Although the volume was lowered, I started to hear more finer details & bass was less bloomy & with better impact. Less fatigue & much enjoyable.

The MRX+MCA without ARC - Stereo

• same issue, I needed to lower the volume a few db. Overall, the stereo experience was much much better than just with the MRX alone. Vocal was easily locked to the center. Instrument separation was greatly improved. In a few cases, drum was coming from center, then left & moved to right. Speaker control was much better.

Hopefully, I can get this with the MRX540+MCA225 for my setup…
Am wondering with ARC on, what level can I get to.
Also observed that while the MRX740 was hooked up in 5.1 channels. When demonstrating Alita movie, there was no Atmos mode. Looked like need to trick amp there was Atmos speaker to trigger Atmos surr. I guess… Hope to run Atmos surround mode using 5 channels setup cause I feel the sound effect is much better than standard Dobly Digital or TrueHD.

Eh…so did you calibrate with ARC? Everything you listed is w/o ARC? The ONLY reason that you get Anthem is to try out the ARC which imo is one of the best out there. By not using ARC, you definitely missing out a lot.

Hi bro desray, I will do for my unit. What I commented was audition at e77. They don’t do ARC calibration. This is why I cannot really have a feel in ARC capability. Great to hear that ARC calibration will take the unit to next level… Waiting to experience that but too bad my MCA will take 2-3 months to arrive. By then, needs to do again…

I see…

Any idea they have MCA525 Gen 2 in the store and cost how much?

bro Goldberg, mind to share what is the promotion on 8.8?