*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

To date, I did not get any leak or confirmation on this DTS Pro X…Anthem or dealer website do occasionally have misprint and mislead consumers. Until Anthem official website/FB confirms it, I’ll say that’s not true.

1 Like

Now that I’ve gotten HT set up out of the Way, it’s time to configure for stereo and multi channel music

One can actually use the same set of measurement data for all profiles. So that is one really good function from anthem.

But instead of inter changing profiles on the same input every time for music and HT using the web gui, I set them up like the above. So I just need to change inputs for HT and Music.

The reason why I’m doing the above is because for HT, I have used a much more aggressive house curve. For music less so.

Quite versatile and convenient

Not bad really….

Yes. I have been using this method to separate my Apple TV for movies and Music all these times. I’m glad you figure it out. And yes, you can apply different system wide settings for each inputs.

For those having problems with the firmware update. Please try to do a hard reset by invoking the Menu + Power button. It works for me as I have been having issues for the past 1 week trying to update my firmware from 1.109.XXX to 1.111.XXX.

NOTE: Pls make sure you have saved the config settings before attempting to do the hard reset as it will totally wipe off all the settings. Also, make sure that the automatic update and Beta update options are enabled in the AVM/MRX as the default is set to “No” after the hard reset.

2 Likes

Wanted to test if the AVM90 is good to go for drsX pro , looks like the format is not supported on the Oppo 205

In case anyone has a media player that allows the pass through of dtsX pro, you can try and compare

Links for dtsX pro demo clip below ;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ucydJ_qX6uSShgnL-0O2DOBy9NY53WaB/view?usp=sharing

U can compare against Atmos below :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ex-LS-BaAaM9OLa8kzkrAvky1S9iC3WU/view?usp=sharing

Finally against dtsX

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J0XQwmBZFwUeyG9FKoHUbOnvTAwIAkw2/view?usp=sharing

Enjoy the demo, very good demo , especially dtsX, damn solid and it sounds nicer than the Atmos clip

Video is solid! Look at those eyes!

It appears I can’t ditch the Oppo 205 for now. The next upgrade for media player should come with h266, hdmi 2.1 and dtsX Pro pass through…. That’s probably when I’ll upgrade the player …

Still some time to go, for now, sit back and enjoy the oppp 205 with AVM90, solid!

Thanks for the sharing. :slight_smile:

Reference indeed

It is doing what it claims to do, (1.6.10). Very easy job for users, don’t need a professional calibrator

they also advocate the use of 4 subs at corner placement. This is the correct & preferred approach for multiple subwoofers integration :slight_smile:

Just place all 4 subs to the corner of the room and let ARC 1.6.10 blend the system. :muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

I have now completed stereo testing

There are two benefits I noticed comparing the use of Oppo 205 as stereo and AVM90

The first is non anthem related, which is the addition of the new sofa where I have the ability to adjust the headrest downwards to avoid reflections off the sofa headrest

Imaging and soundstage seems to have improved with the headrest rested downwards .

The second part is the corrections done by ARC in bass frequencies applied on the main speakers below 200hz . With the Oppo, I don’t get the luxury of correcting bass frequencies below 200hz. This was a problem in the past where I was at the mercy of the room below 200hz

That peak there as u can see above, is pretty damaging to the sound. The peaks once eliminated, sounded a lot smoother and pleasant

If u notice the hump from 2.5khz to about 7khz, I didn’t correct for those , I left it as it is.

Stereo dial in is now complete. Quite happy with the music . Listened for 11/2 hours last night, no issues and fatigue. Very enjoyable

So ya, I’ve now compared the use of Oppo 205 vs the avm90 for stereo and also the use of Lyngdorf mp50 for Home theatre against the AVM90…

In both instances, it was pretty obvious to me…

It’s not even marginally close… instantaneously u will be able to know type of difference…

With the options for a new hdmi 2.1 board soon, this AVM90 looks set to stay for some years…

Oh yes, and not much fiddling , the results from arc are very very consistent, 7 out of 7 times I get the same results post calibration … they were very close with slight difference in data due to mic placement

I’ll try and arrange for demo on Sundays, 2pm, for those who are keen… come august 2022

1)line array subs built by synthesis (if u have experienced it) pairing seatons
2) room feel with AVM90
3) dialogue clarity from the AVM90
4) Atmos and dtsX dynamic range
5) Stereo with AVM90

What I’ll do is also demo the Laser Pj, For HDR and LLDV

Must the 4 subs be the same?
Need to be right at the corner?what if it is 800mm in from both LR walls?
Because of the odd shape of my HT, I can have 2 in front but only one at the back. Can 3 subs work?

Ya 3 will work too. Just that if you could place all 4 at the corners, it takes all the guessing work out the window.

With 3 and and an odd shape room, u have got to measure them to find the best blend.

In using multiple subs, ideally what u r looking for is not the best smooth frequencies from 20-100hz, what u r looking for is a placement where they help each other. Kind of like “ I help you, you help me “ kind of placement.

So one like this dual sub approach below, is the best placement

Where there is a dip in green, red takes over and red with dips, green take over . We are looking for that placement where they “supplement” each other and not fighting over the same frequencies

Once u get that correct with placement, leave the rest to ARC

Having said that, it’s still good practice to check the results post EQ if you have the measurements tools. It has been accurate so far, but sometimes with auto room correction stuff and software stuff, there could be that one or two instances where it has a glitch

Try this with 3 sub placement for those who have rectangular rooms where modes are predictable, it works and I have tested before in my 6x8m room, layout 4 works like a magic

Due to the odd shape and squeezing a golf sim inside also, it is difficult for me to put any at either S3 position, left or right.
It has to be 2 subs in the front, and one at the back.
2 at the back is still possible but very tight. but I guess perhaps I should just try to squeeze 2 into the back.
Does the back 2 need to be exact the same as the front 2?

If u really don’t have a choice, I would suggest you try and place both subs in front equidistant left right so the acoustical energy flows down the centre to MLP

Place them in front corners like this below so u take full advantage of the boundary

Instead of this below

Then place the 3rd behind MLP midwall. That’s the best guess without any tools to measure. At least we know the front two subs will give you a balanced energy accumulated from left and right through the centre and hopefully the midwall back sub will compensate for smoothness …. Hopefully…

If I had to guess, I’ll try it out that way…then let ARC blend… see how it sounds…

It is really not easy without measurement tools

I’m using 3 subs and ARC is able to blend in well with the mains.

May I know how you arrange the 3 Subs?
Are they the same model?

JL Audio subs - 2 x E112 and 1 x E110. My room is a square layout which in theory should be “horrendous” for bass…but that’s not true. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@desray just curious did u try place the E112 at the front Left and right corners?
Cheers.

How much price now avm 90 or 70?

No. The placement of my 2 front subwoofers are placed in between left and right mains. Where exactly and how far to place it apart can be derived from the Harman Room EQ Calculator which I have had mentioned in the past. You need to know the room nodes of your room and then place the subwoofers accordingly to avoid nulls and peaks. Even for 4 subwoofers, corner placement should not be just shoved it at the corner. You need to allocate some space between the side walls to avoid too much boundary gain.

1 Like