*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

I’ve also tested it with music last night. sending a digital signal in vide hdmi from the Oppo 205 to the AVM90, I gotta say I don’t miss the Oppo 205 stereo out at all. I can safely ditch the Oppo 205 when the new media players support 8k, H266 compression format, HDMI2.1.

Then it’s time to bid goodbye to the Aging Oppo 205 and get the new media player. For now, I’ll still stick to the Oppo 205 for movies etc

Because of the AVM90’s ability to correct for room anomalies up to Schroeder Frequencies, music sounds way way nicer on the AVM90 compared to the Oppo 205. (Oppo 205 no chance to correct for this because there is no built in eq)

I’m no serious music audiophile guy, but for music, it sounded nicer for me using the AVM90. So I’m sure the audiophile guys using the Oppo 205 for music, will appreciate this one if they are also into movies.

Crowsons AVM90 Integration

Lets get down to hooking the Crowsons Motion Actuator up with the AVM90.

One should note that both RCA connections and XLR connections on the AVM90 are “Active” at the same time. Meaning the AVM90 sends a signal out to both outputs at the same time. This is very useful for people like me using 4 subs and 1 crowsons. so i have now connected using RCA Sub1 out for the MA. The one circled in red below is sub1 out

So it turns out Minidsp 2x4HD is still required in my case. But before that, i had to first establish, which RCA preout to use, 1,2,3 or 4 ? IN my case, let me explains why i went with Sub out 1 RCA

if you see sub2 out above, it shows some boosting applied between 15-20hz

On Sub 3 out, cuts are applied between 15 - 20hz

Sub 1 preout above, had the least EQ applied to that channel. So that is why i went with using Sub 1 RCA out. You want a clean signal going into the Motion Actuators because they are not subjected to Room Modes unlike the subwoofers in the room.

my goal is not to use the actuators for frequencies above 15hz. So i am using a 15hz 6db Butterworth filter on this for the Motion Actuators, like the below

Remember to turn on the compressor settings as well on the mindisp

The other point to note is that the levels are not the same on RCA sub1 out vs XLR Sub1 out

One would need to compensate for a +6db gain on the RCA out due to RCA being 2v vs XLR 4v. So levels are much softer using RCA preout. You can see from the measurements in blue above that XLR connection is louder by 6db. You can also observe there is some cut applied by ARC from about 13-15hz on sub1 output, but thats insignificant. the rest of the signal down to 1hz is untouched by ARC.

Compensate for the levels in the Output side of Minidsp, so both crowson and sub levels are the same. I have also applied a 1ms delay to the signal for crowsons. thats personal preference as i would want the subwoofer energy to hit first before the actuators move. Some prefer 2ms, thats fine, as long as it doenst take away the inertia and energy from subs.

So why 4.64 milisecond delay on the minidsp ? we need to understand the difference in the distance applied in ARC

If you look at the sub final computed distance by ARC, sub 1 is 625cm, and the nearest sub 4 is 500cm. So sub1 has a further distance compared to sub4. Because sub4 is the nearest sub in the chain, the processor will have the most delays applied for that particular channel sub4, so it can match up the furthest sub. That means sub1 signal is faster than sub4 by 3.64ms. ie 625cm - 500cm = 125cm (use this calculator below)

So 3.64ms + my desired 1ms, thats 4.64ms and that is why you will see minidsp having a 4.64ms delay on crowsons channel

If you are lazy to use BEQ to load the filters all the time, here is one quick solution where you can utilise the crowsons to good use, even watching drama or other content.

Most source have freq butchered below 30hz, so the goal here is to apply a number of filters for general use. this is what i do.

I use 4 low shelf filters as follows:

The above is what i have been using for a number of years now, as i noticed most movies/content dont have much Low freq. So i use this specially for the actuators, in total it gives me +14db boost down low freq to 10hz

Enjoy! Crowsons is awesome, and yes you can send another signal out vide RCA output

2 Likes

oh ya, and i need to mention, the only caveat with the above approach is that the levels from the actuator, will follow the levels on the master volume from the processor.

So say suppose you play at -10mv during the day, ie 10db below reference, you might enjoy the tactile levels as intended. But when it comes to night, you wont be playing it at -10mv, you might be playing it at -20 /- 25/ -30 type of levels, so as not to disturb the neighbours. But when you do that, the levels on the actuators will also reduce according to the levels applied from the processor. So the tactile response to the chairs, will reduce by a similar level, ie from -10db to -20db, thats 10db lesser on the actuators

Some folks prefer to have lower volume and bass at night, but they want to enjoy the tactile from the actuators without levels being reduced. The good part is the crowson amplifiers have volume controls, so you can compensate for levels on the crowson amplifiers. This is only for those who owns a crowson amp.

So thats the downside to it. Hope that helps

1 Like

Network Module Version: 1.111.182
Host firmware 73

• Host FW 73: Partial fix for host FW crashing while in connected standby as reported in host FW 70
  • Host FW 73: Fixed an issue where speaker level calibration offset underflows could lead to max volume being used for the speaker
  • Host FW 73: Further improvements to the issue where some webui settings changes were lost if the system was powered off and removed from AC power
  • Host FW 73: Fixed an issue where the OSD text was blank when viewing 4096x2160 60 Hz resolutions
  • Host FW 73: Other minor bug fixes and improvements
2 Likes

Just updated! Thanks

I thought dtsX was not working. Tested this morning all working fine

DtsX MA kicks in correctly…

Damn nice, the sound dtsX combo AVM90, very dynamic sound, so much energy.

(PS:// it could be the reverse, the lyngdorf sounds more laid back and the AVM90 is normal)

But I’ve heard the denon it’s not as dynamic sounding, so pretty sure it’s the AVM90 having that oomph signature

Rewatched hulk library scene, lone survivor, Harry Potter to name a few, all in dtsX. So so dynamic sounding and so much details. From hulks shirt tearing to his shoes bursting . Everything captured with superb separation. Very nice !

This hulk is so nice, the face ! So fierce and nice

Watched Tom cruise’s Oblivion, the library rope scene , man I can hear the flame, fires and debris, so detailed ! Unbelievable

A lot of these demo tracks I’ve been testing for 5 years now. Same repeated tracks again and again, and I’m still hearing things.

All channels 9038pro really different league…really enjoyed it.

Just Wow :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Glad to know you are thoroughly enjoying the sound of Anthem. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Completed testing of crowsons now, it blends nicely. No problem . Gravity is my favourite to test crowsons

On this scene, as the spaceship disintegrates, the energy sweeps from left to right, then the chair moves left to right … whoosh 1 complete

On this scene above, the disintegrated parts of the ships now preparing to enter atmosphere, bulk of energy from subs move right to left , the actuators then move the sofa right to left…. Whoosh 2 complete

Bass articulation checked !! All good! Whooshing syok

In this scene above, I’m hearing so many things, even the safety belt hitting the pod as it spins to the mechanical fire on board, to the machine speaking in mandarin on overheads and Sandra bullock goes ini mini…miney… Diablo chino etc… very solid details

This demo clip reminded me of Jag…the very first demo clip in Atmos that wow’ed me many years ago when I visited his den…

1 Like

Very very nice! I am really enjoying it. Dare to recommend with confidence. No issue anthem. :muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

It is for me the processor of the year , 2022!

I really love the energy levels, clean sounding. This is the biggest takeaway in my opinion. Very detailed and so much energy! For sure A lot of people will like this type of signature… clean yet impactful!

1 Like

Also read that dtsX Pro decoding will be supported soon…. There is a lot of benefit when using wide speakers with dtsX pro….That’s really nice man! But doesn’t work so far…not sure when is the ETA firmware update

Love the dtsX demo clips and movies, they are very dynamic sounding

Sweeee

The word I always use to describe Anthem sound is “effortless”…

2 Likes

Should Bro Wind sell his Trinnov and jump on to the AVM 90 craze…I bet he must be a little tempted at the way you describe your experience with the test materials.

That is a Fantastic word! Effortless…

One word to sum it up… :muscle:t2:

Really no joke…. Wait I will host u soon, most likely 23rd July. Should be final with all different options ready. Then I’ll host for those keen to find out the signature . Really reference type of quality… don’t know how to describe

This week exploring house curve and compression testing on the subwoofers.

I’m testing randomly, different source material. The blending from mains to subs still not perfect… so manually doing that one…

Will share more info on that again….

For now I’m loving the Tilt ! So nice the tilt options. That is locked down now.

No wonder u went back to anthem from denon , I can totally see why now…

1 Like

Oh ya, the one thing I didn’t test is sending the video from AVM90 straight to projector

So honestly that I’m not sure if there is improvement. As with all new processor, those with newer chips would normally see improvements in video.

How significant I’m not sure as I’m running all video signals into a hd fury VRROOM and only sending audio signals to the AVM90.

I only have ATV4K, Xbox series X and Oppo 205. So all goes into hd fury 1,2,3

So I can’t really tell how good is the video processing on the AVM90

Those who are using it sending video signals to AVM90 then to PJ can probably give a fair assessment

Some users from AVSforum, myself included affirmed that feeding your video source to the Anthem AVM 740/1140 and AVM 70 can actually produce very good image quality. Of course, I’m using Lumagen Radiance Pro as my main VP, like you did with HDFury VRROOM. I’m not sure about AVM 90 though as it is utilizing a new HDMI 2.1 chipset…the issue I last read was something about a gaming console (can’t recall whether it is XBox or PS5, I believe its the latter) with 4K120fps failing to lock the signal properly which caused intermittent audio drop-outs. Not sure if the latest firmware update, if any addresses that part.

1 Like

Oh ya I saw that one on YouTube channel

That was a month ago, hopefully that is fixed now.

Hello friends. While calibrating my friend came across this post.
What is the meaning of the message and is it a malfunction during the calibration and what can be done?

No no no no no no no nopeeee :joy:

What version of the ARC Genesis your friend is using? Did he remember to enter the physical distance for the front left speaker?

arc genesis 1.6.10.
yes he measured the physical distance for the front left speaker