New Denon/Marantz 2023 lineup to feature Dirac Live!

A new beast on the block, AV1H.

1 Like

Nice. Is this replacing thhe a110?

Yes, most likely a replacement to AVC-A110

The entry level with 4 independent sub pre out is quite impressive.

Syok. That is unheard of at that model/series …!

More videos on Denon’s new flagship for 2023: AVR-A1H.

I wonder what happened to the 8 and 6 series… Strange. They have X3800H, X4800H, then next one is A1H.

At this price point USD$6500 (and need to fork out extra for Dirac Live), seems more expensive than the Anthem MRX1140? Might as well get them anthem man.

Are you looking to get the Denon? If the price for this new Denon series is too prohibitive, I recommend you consider the Anthem. You will not regret it.

2 Likes

Staying put w my x8500h. Not much time for serious HT time with my main system this 2 years due to young kids.

But the anthem 1140 is definitely top of my list when my HT time comes back eventually ha

2 Likes

After watching this, I’ll say don’t waste your money and time on these newer models or at the very least, there is no need to rush and get it now. If what they said is true that the Dirac update (not full version) will only arrive in the first Qtr (Mar) of next year followed by the version with Bass Management which will take even longer.

I’m starting to get quite pissed off with modern tech companies doing this stuff, where they will tell you “new” features but ONLY wait for their release. Not just D&M products but also Anthem…the so-called promise, Roon functionality for the Gen-4 still not arrive despite almost one year since its release!!! This is unacceptable…The same trend is also for Apple iPhone with some “new” features coming in only at a later stage and not on the day the product is launched.

Do you guys start to see this trend?

Here’s a pic from some Denon/Marantz resellers Dirac training…

Oh my tian… $799 just for dirac full package. And its probably in usd?

I wish they priced it lower. I would pay for the DL as it will bring the sound to a whole new level vs audyssey.

Yup, all in USD$, sadly…

Phase 1 Full Bandwidth - has no subwoofer correction? :dizzy_face:

This is ridiculous

The basic system has bass management for one subwoofer. As you can see from Foodie’s chart, it covers 20-20khz, which is within Subwoofer frequencies. Dirac distinguishes Bass management, which is optimizing phase, impulse and frequency response, that comes with Dirac Live, from bass control, which is always part of their optional Dirac Live Bass Control or DLBC. If you have an Arcam processor that is compatible, you get Dirac Live, but have to pay USD350 for DBLC and more if you have an Arcam model that has four independent subwoofer outs. Onkyo now comes with Dirac Live, but its processor is not compatible with DBLC. Audyssey probably has a similar basic bass management to Dirac Live, but it does not have what Dirac calls bass control.

Most people use Dirac with some form of miniDSP, NAD or Arcam processor. Some packages come with Dirac Live, but none to my knowledge come with DLBC. So what Denon have provided with the X3800H is the hardware (DLBC compatible processor and four independent subwoofer outputs) that can run DLBC so you don’t have to go out and buy a miniDSP 2x4HD etc. I think that’s fair. If you are happy with Audyssey then just stop there, but some people will want perfection

Here is a discussion on DLBC
DLBC

In my opinion, it is not worth the whole Dirac integration. Most users can just stick with Audyssey multXT32. Look at the roadmap that stretches all the way till next year and who knows what will happen. This whole “marriage” of Dirac and Audyssey is not well thought through imo.

The type of person who would implement Dirac would be the type who buys a measurement software and a UMIK-1 mike or better to measure their room and is dissatisfied with Audyssey. So its quite unlikely that most people will buy Dirac, if Denon does not include Dirac in the package like Onkyo.

However, I like the fact that Denon used a Dirac compatible processor and included the 4 independent subwoofer outputs. Certainly, if I decided to spend the money to buy three or four subs, the additional cost to get them working together would be worth the DLBC cost. Most people will only have one sub, so they won’t bother, but the idea of perfectly integrated directional bass with multiple subwoofers is appealing.

Dirac and Audyssey are not married. They are used separately and do not interact. Its like loading either Linux or Windows on your PC.

1 Like

After rethinking, what u said is quite true. I guess majority of users are using 1 sub only and just require audyssey. And likely won’t even try DL at all. Hence this biz strategy to reduce cost for the mainstream users.

If i am a HT person with multiple subs + advanced bass needs, then investing in the full dirac would be a good option.

I guess I’m just not happy i have to pay 1k more for DL given that denon avr prices have shot up so much over the last 3 years. At these increased prices of denon AVRs, my expectation is DL shld be included.

Does anyone know if DL full package with DLBC time aligns the speakers vs subs after u deploy a bass HC on the subs?

i recall it does that but just wana be sure.