Magnetar UDP-800/900 Universal 4K UHD Player - An exact Oppo clone!

Do write a review on your new toy. :slight_smile:

Congrats :tada:! Enjoy

I am not an expert in writing review leh…you can bring your disc come and test. :smiley:

reallly sia, playing music every track will have a stop and start relay sound… :rofl: tic tac tic tac

Not asking you to write a thesis. just your thoughts and experience. if you able to post here and talk about the music playback, you can write a simple review to share with everyone.

For 4K UHD Player, some of the more prominent areas that many would like to know will be:

1. Picture Quality from 4K and bluray and 3D disc

2. Sound Quality from analog and HDMI

3. Settings and features

4. Playback of various file formats - e.g. mkv, iso, flac, wav etc.

5. Conclusion: Final thoughts and whether you would recommend

This is the Setting Menu

2 Likes

what’s a watermark level 3?

not sure what is that too…didnt see any “watermark” when i was playing the disc. Manual also didnt explain

I have changed my TV to LG 65 G2 at the same time, so not sure is there any impact or not. Followings the pic i took from spiderman homecoming scene (Disney+, BluRay, UHD).

Due to my hp camere, it looks a little blue when it is actually more white color

Scene 1
Disney+

Blu Ray Disc

UHD Disc

Scene 2
Disney+

Blu Ray Disc

UHD Disc

Scene 3
Disney+

Blu Ray Disc

UHD Disc

Scene 4
Disney +

Blu Ray Disc

UHD

John Wick UHD Scene

3 Likes

File tested
video: .avi , .mkv
Audio: .dsf , .flac, .m4a, .wav (not working, maybe need to retest).

For music listening i used the following 2 songs from 姚璎格.

1. 童年
    2.乡间小路

I compared between the hdmi audio, XLR->RCA and Eversolo DMP-A6 master edition. Somehow the hdmi audio sounding is very “thin” sounding especially the bass and vocal sound (maybe i need to set something?). while the analog and eversolo is almost the same(after listening again, eversolo is better than magnetar)

during few occasion when playing the movie, it went black screen for 2-3 sec and display back showing (dolby vision or HDR icon, maybe cannot set to autio in setting)

As for the mechanical relay sound that i kept mentioning, i have recorded and place at the link shown below. This is recorded at my MLP that is about 1.8-2 meters away. This sound will start at starting and ending of every music track. it also will keeps appearing when you play the bluray movie disc when you are in main menu and during looping of the music if you did not start to play the movie.

1 Like

This scene 4 is an awesome comparison. Look at the color gamut difference between BT 709 (on a bluray) and BT 2020 (the ones on Disney + and a 4K UHD disc). Disney + presentation is pretty good for a streaming platform. The details are pretty close to a 4K UHD.

Thanks for these screenshots…

1 Like

Disney+ looks the most saturated, but maybe the camera

Might be my koyak hp…i tried to set the same setting when taking photo. Also try to set as much as the same color as what my eyes see but somehow still some difference.

1 Like

One thing i noticed today when playing SACD there will be no mechanical relay sound in ending and starting of each music track. Only normal music CD will have the sound.

owners of Magnetar players 800/900 take note and be alert of possible firmware update…

…as according to HK owner’s picture post, on set internet could screw up the player.

Heng i didnt do as i have send the item back to replace the lens or whole tray i guess.

Magnetar just introduced another top of the line flagship 4K universal player that topples the UDP-800. Introducing the behemoth giant, the UDP-900! :exploding_head:

A whopping USD$3,000. Will you consider it in light of Disney and possibly other studios dropping their physical 4K disc production in the foreseeable future?

2 Likes