Magnetar UDP-800/900 Universal 4K UHD Player - An exact Oppo clone!

I’ve been doing this with my Panasonic 820 UHD player, by plugging in ripped multichannel DSD on a USB stick. It goes out either 5.1 analog or HDMI 5.1 LPCM

Have been wondering if I could just plug the USB stick into my Denon receiver and use HEOS

1 Like

here’s my original post on the REAVON x200 when it was available in the market then…
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/in-the-world-of-oem-reavon-x200-is-one-souped-up-giec-bdp-g5700.373158/
anyway… the internal system is made in mass that it’s available to be used in different chinese marques that are sold in premium price.

https://hifive.sg/index.php?threads/in-the-world-of-oem-the-demise-of-oppo-203-inspired-the-clones-of-203.744/

what model in the market is original?
Sony’s, Panny’s products are originals in engineering both in internals and externals. so as PHILIPS, SAMSUNG, and LG which now bows out from making physical disc players. however when comes to DVDAudio and SACD compatibility, SONY’s x800 wins hands down, Panny will certainly upset SACD collectors.

Would a media player like zidoo played the ripped multichannel dsd, output multichannel LPCM to avr?

Apparently it does, but you need one of the more powerful Zidoo

Zidoo multichannel DSD

There is a thread on ASR on how to do it other ways, but they all seem fiddly

Multichannel DSD playback

You are missing the point. When I say lack originality and nothing new, I am referring to the aesthetics and design UI. There is no question or doubt that everyone knows iPhones are using Samsung OLED panels and some of the flagship Android phones are using Snapdragon chipsets etc. That’s not what I am driving at. What I am trying to point out is the complete lack of creativity or innovation to even come up with a “new coat of paint” when buying a 20 yrs old resale apartment and just moved in. Sorry about the analogy as that’s what I feel about Magnetar. At the very least, redo the UI and add a few features like CD ripping that most Chinese OEM seems to be very good at in their media player market to differentiate itself. When you literally take the whole entire UI DNA from Oppo, it just make people yelped, “just another Oppo clone”.

1 Like

Yes it does.

1 Like

i think i did mentioned about the similarity of the UI right? or didn’t I?
does the aesthetics of the MAGNETAR, including the dot matrix LED displays look familiar? i guess not… because that’s the first impression i get, unless i dive into the UI navigation and un-cover on the set to see that the internals are basically the same as Oppo and PIONEER.
by the way, the internals of the PIONEERs 500&800 were also identical to Oppo per se… just that yes, the Japs does some UI changes to make themselves different.

from a timepiece collector point of view, if the internals is 90% the same, the value of the whole product is the same as other cheaper makes that is affixed with different badge/marque.
whatever aesthetics redesign, UI redesign… cannot beat what is totally different from other makers who make the effort to make their products totally different from other cheaper products on the market.

if i am to reference PIONEER to TUDOR, and MAGNETAR to TAG HEUER… watch collectors will kind of know what i’m referencing.
one makes the effort to “re-engineer and re-design” from internals to externals, another just makes the effort to “re-design the externals, rename the internals”.

here is one player that would slip thru most folks mind, as the brand often doesn’t link to home base products.
the TASCAM BD-MP4K UHD player, that bears the same processor as PIONEER, OPPO, MAGNETAR and REAVON… the MT8581, with Cirrus Logic CS4382A DAC for Audio.

https://www.jdbbs.com/article-88489-1.html

this had been available in other parts of the world, but not locally… although a member in Hi5ive forum had tried to organize a Mass Order roughly 2yrs ago, but failed because membership number to the forum was still relatively low.

oddly, even though the information i found on the audio DAC clearly states it is SACD compatible, the player, according to various sites, as well as the manual, states that it’s not SACD compatible.

1 Like

Does it have HDR DTM for projector users?

Looks great!

according to this reply…
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-vision-including-hdr10-conversion-w-dtm-on-projectors.3097934/post-62387036
…no.
Panasonic UB820 at the same price range seems to do better for projector.

1 Like

a cut and paste of what i had posted in the ex-Xtremeplace forum…

Those who did JailBreak with firmware with your Pioneer LX5/800 players, should be very familiar with HDSir 高清先生.

Roughly near end of 2020,
HDSir released 2 premium 4K physical media disc players,

UDP-300

which priced @ CNY6000 approx ala SGD1200 approx.

(price in link for your reference. shipping charges applies)

UDP-900

which priced @ CNY13000 approx ala SGD2500 approx.

(price in link for your reference. shipping charges applies)

Chinese Reviews on both sets by same reviewer for your read up interest,
which comes with lots of pictures and comparison to competitor!
https://www.zhen4k.com/t-11087-1-1.html

looks good.

went to see and listen to the udp900 again. This time round is more concern on 2 things i might hiam…

1. The CD tray mechanism like very rough as even compared to the udp800…the ejecting and closing is very 粗鲁
  2. Every time i can clearly hear a sound something like a mechanical relay sound when start playing or changing track.

:sweat_smile:

Does any of the these new players support hdmi 2.1a SBTM ? (Source based tone mapping)

If u do come across one that do, please share. I’d be keen to check it out.

I’m currently waiting for one as I believe it should be out soon

The hd fury VRROOM recently added support for this feature, so it’s quite an exciting news for projector owners… if the player can do this, it’s gonna be fantastic for projector owners

Singapore only given 5 set of udp900… left 3 set or less liao…

in HK, Magnetar is distributed by P&O. if SG is the same, the distribution volume would not be so limited… to create “rare merchandise” scenario.

They told me they bring in 5 only at moment. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes