MadVR HTPC Enthusiasts' Thread

Wanted to ask this as well. Ok, so MadVR does not have much benefits for OLED and LCD TV ya?

The colors gradation and details looks impressive

It depends on the TV. I originally configured the MadVR HTPC on my 2016 Samsung LCD TV before transferring to projector. It made a huge difference because my Samsung is a lower end TV and HDR is poor with max luminance of only 400 nits. I have watched quite a few HDR movies on that Samsung using the built in Netflix and always looked terrible. But it was very nice with MadVR processing.

If you have a bright modern OLED of 700-1000 nits, probably no need. But I would still use a HDFury box to tone map very bright scenes in Dolby Vision. You can determine the amount of processing you need using the Spears and Munsil UHD Blu Ray

1 Like

According to blackmagic , the Decklink Quad only require PCIe3 x8 and compatible with x16.
Why the B660m cannot support it?

They have two PCIe x16.

Look carefully at the slots of my Asus Prime B660m motherboard. You may be misled by a long connector, but look carefully at the slot (click on the picture) and you will see that there fewer metal pins in the longer connectors. The middle slot of this motherboard is a PCIe 1x and the bottom is a PCIe 4x despite the middle being the same length as the bottom. This board will not support a Decklink Quad. You have to be very careful. Also, when the GPU is put into the top 16x slot, it is so wide that it completely covers the middle slot. With the cheaper mini-ATX boards, most will not work with a Decklink Quad. If in doubt, buy a full sized ATX motherboard.

ok yes you are right.
in the tech spec it says it is x1 and x4 only
very misleading.

Also, if you are on 12400F, we never can use the Quad card.
Because it has only max 20 Pcie lane. while GPU uses 16, we cannot have another 8 for the decklink.

we will need at least 24lane CPU…

It’s not a limitation of the 12400F as only the graphics card PCIe slot is connected directly to the CPU. The other PCIe slots are connected to the Motherboard chipset, the Intel B660. The B660 has 14 PCIe lanes, but only 6 PCIe 3.0 and 8 PCIe 4.0. On my Asus board, the x1 and x4 slots are connected to the motherboard chipset, consuming 5 of the motherboards PCIe 4.0 lanes. The B660 cannot support x8 mode because it only has 6 PCIe 4.0 lanes.

To mount the Decklink Quad card, you need a motherboard with either a H670 or Z690 chipset. I think my HTPC configuration reflects the minimum price needed to run a reasonable MadVR system. It cost $1,350. To move up to a machine to run the Quad, you may have to spend about $2-3K

I looked at Asus motherboards to see which motherboards that use 12th generation processors (L1700 socket) can support the Decklink Quad. It looks like only one can do it and it cost $850!

1 Like

so even 12400F can do that with correct MB?

Sammy, so your PC has enough space to insert the mini decklink card below the 3060 ?

I may want to get the same as yours

I think so, but the only Asus motherboard I could find that accepts a 12th generation processor and that has an extra slot that will do PCIe 8x are the Asus Rog Maximums Z690, which is extremely expensive. Someone on AVS mentioned that the Decklink Quad will run in a 4x slot without issues as long as you use only one of the 4 HDMI inputs at 4K/60. This is a slight risk as the Blackmagic website only talks about using it in 8x and 16x slots.

Yes. I went to a bunch of local gaming PC sellers and this was the only prebuilt that had a 4x slot at the appropriate location. If you have more money to spend for MadVR, I would spend it on the Nvidia card as while the 3060 does tone mapping well, its not fast enough to enable the sharpening or advanced chroma upsampling in MadVR. The AMD Asus boards had their slots actually covered by the Nvidia card because its so big. Mine is the Invader brand. It’s main competitor, Armageddon, didn’t have a low priced gaming rig with the slot. I also found that buying the prebuilt was cheaper than sourcing the parts individually at Sim Lim Square and you get a 3 yr warranty on the whole thing from the company

Nice , thanks bro.
Since you have done all the research, I will just follow you.
3060 suppose to be very powerful already…
3060 Ti a but more expensive but doesn’t seem to be way better.
I think I would mainly use it to do DTM.
Although I want to try frame interpolation too but I think that is not fast enough.

Abhuj887, I understand that you have now gotten MadVR running on your LG HU810. Can you share with us some of your experience with it and the results. Thanks

1 Like

hi I just got it setup but not yet calibrate the projector to BT2020 SDR yet.
will be back to town in late December
Sure will share my experience afterwards!

1 Like

I’ve been using MadVR for DTM for some time now, recently upgraded my PJ to a JVC with the fame adaptive tone mapping and switched to using this. Still curious if anyone has done A/B comparison between MadVR’s DTM and JVC’s?

BTW I also upgraded my HTCP to a 3060Ti coz it has HDMI 2.1 and can run 4K 120Hz with full RGB at 12bit which the new JVCs can support

What JVC projector you get? NZ laser series I suppose? I’m using Lumagen Radiance Pro and I highly recommend it to projector user. You may want to consider it.

Just installed a NZ8. Still discovering all the various features

Great… Actually that’s the model I m considering getting. How much you paid for it? Drop me a DM.

MadVR vs Sony and JVC DTM

I posted this comparison of JVC DTM and MadVR in the other MadVR thread. It’s taken me a while to gradually tweak MadVR to higher levels even though in default it’s already superb. Are you using the Decklink Quad or Mini?

Here is a clip I believe from the KC shootout earlier this year, which compares in NZ8 with Envy vs NZ9. If I recall right, most people preferred the NZ8 with Envy. The difference in price - USD10,000 - is enough to buy an Envy Pro

NZ8 with Envy vs NZ9