Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242C+ Video Processor

BT 2020. This is by design. There is no P3 mode. BT 2020 will be de facto container for all things HDR. The color modes on the other hand will conform to P3 modes. Hence if you want to achieve P3 accuracy, one will have to select one of the colorspace featured in the color modes.

For those who wish to take a look at the calibration results for my Sony VW-870ES, you can click here.

The iDisplay Pro 3 didn’t do well for IRE 10 - 15. But overall the dE values for the grayscale, colors and gamma all tracked very well.

Speaking of selecting between BT2020 and the normal Rec 709 and how the former colorspace will cause too much “red” into the pic. Hear this chap’s rhetoric and how he “trashing” Vicent from HDTV. I find it hilarious…Even FOMO also cannot escape his wrath. LoL…

Let’s move on to the Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) feature of the Radiance Pro. I have randomly picked 2 scenes from the movie, Godzilla vs Kong to showcase the differences in tone-mapping done at the Radiance Pro vs the Source end (Zidoo Z9X). Here’s the first set of scenes for comparison.

Dynamic Tone-mapping by Radiance Pro

Dynamic Tone-mapping by Source (Zidoo Z9X)

No tone-mapping engaged, HDR meta-data pass through to Projector

You can tell the big difference between DTM performed by Radiance Pro and the source itself. There are more details on the surface of the sea when DTM was done by Radiance Pro. Zidoo Z9X tone-mapping only shows a “murky black mass” for the large part.

In another scene, you can see that Radiance Pro and Zidoo tone-mapping is about the same in a fairly bright scene. But Radiance Pro DTM is definitely more superior here, the skin tone is much more natural and revealed more details on his face and clothing. A deeper color hues on his jacket can clearly be observed when Radiance Pro DTM is engaged as well.

Dynamic Tone-mapping by Radiance Pro

Dynamic Tone-mapping by Source (Zidoo Z9X)

1 Like

Nice u lined it up… spot on observations Sam, I share very similar views as you… exactly same sentiments…

Ya on the HDR brightness I toggle between different movies, sometimes up to +1 and at times -1 or 0.

Different movies all need to use different settings

Ya the SDR 2020 with HDR on here looks like has too much green here.

I agree with Sam, the dci-p3 looks best here

1 Like

This looks very nice, sharp , clear, can see her armour clearly, colours look right and skin tone looks fabulous

2 Likes

Agreed with both…DCI-P3 is currently my default setting for all things 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision.

did this happen yet bro?

Lol, so funny this guy.

He is absolutely right, I have the same issue with the BenQ 5700, so I set the colours to 0 on the BenQ and use colour enhancer for HDR

If left at the default 50, it will be over saturated….

Yes…even before the item arrived :stuck_out_tongue:

hopefully the new Emotiva XMC-2 V2.3 firmware solve my issues and I maybe wont need it.

Bestest :heart_eyes:

Lumagen is increasing its price by as much as US$500 for the Radiance Pro series. The increase is due to the chip shortage.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/new-lumagen-radiance-pro-series.2172017/post-61022686

My Lumagen Radiance Pro just crashed on me a week ago…and I will need to send back the unit to the manufacturer for further diagnosis since it is still under warranty. Unfortunately, I will have to pay for the shipment back and it will cost at least a few hundred dollars. Never done this before, I guess there is always a first time. That being said, this is why I will always prefer to have a local dealer to help take care of all this RMA stuff. Now I will not be able to see my movie collection w/o the Radiance Pro acting as the centerpiece for my video chain. Very sad…

FWIW, I have to commend Lumagen Support by the president himself, Jim Petersen as he is very knowledgeable and helpful in my follow-up to my problem. For those who are on the fence about getting Lumagen, you can rest assured your interest is looked after.

Latest update, Lumagen will ship a new replacement board free of charge because it is still under warranty. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s good news !!

Last weekend, I have some time on my hands to redo my calibration using the Lumagen Radiance Pro. It has been a while since I have used the P3 color gamut. Hence I decided to re-calibrate using SDR2020 color gamut but the only difference is I have decided to revert to manual calibration instead of relying on the auto-calibration module on my Chromapure and the results are astonishing.

Again, I am going to use Mulan from Apple TV as a showcase. I will be showing the results with Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) of the Lumagen in an “Off”, “On” and “Default” state. The source player used here is Apple TV 4K with HDR turned on.

Caveat: The images you are seeing are heavily compressed (in JPEG) so as to save on bandwidth and space when uploading to the web. The objective here is to showcase the prowess of Lumagen’s proprietary DTM.

No tone-mapping was performed by the Lumagen Radiance Pro. The image is brighter but appeared washed-out. The gamma is on the “lower” side of the spectrum with details blown out and the colors resemble that of the typical SDR look and feel. This should not come as a surprise since I am using Rec 2020 gamut within an SDR container. So this is absolutely normal even though the stream is in HDR.

Here the Radiance Pro DTM is turned on but the Maxlight output is not in use. The static HDR metadata (MaxCLL and MaxFALL) from the stream simply passthrough to my Sony 4K projector which will then output the HDR image based on the static metadata it received. The image can vary depending on the Projector’s capability to resolve the HDR metadata. The skin tone took a more warmer “yellowish” overtone.

The Radiance Pro DTM is engaged with a Maxlight output set at “500” (default) in this image and you can see the skin tones are now much more natural and the details on her cheeks and the dirt on her forehead is now much more defined.

Jim Petersen talks about the new Lumagen Radiance Pro series and why it is the best in class for video processing.

I’ve read through the thread and thank you for providing all these pictures @desray
I have the Vertex 2 and even using that with the Apple TV I find DV content too dim. Does this mimic your experience with the Vertex 2 when compared to the Lumagen?