Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242C+ Video Processor

The future issue is the hardware. MadVR is using Nvidia processors, which are computationally many times the speed of the one in the LRP. However, Lumagen has extremely efficient coding of their chipset, which allows them to do a lot despite not having as much horsepower as Nvidia. For example, the speed of the aspect ratio detection and switching. At some point, Lumagen needs a more powerful processor and chipset, but it might entail a large rewrite of code.

The MadVR Extreme is so expensive that it is being installed mainly in these money no object $100K home theaters, so MadVR probably guesses that $8K is annoying, but these owners will do it anyway. I would imagine that there are an increasing number of these in Singapore. Heck, many of the highest end condos here have $250k in kitchen appliances like Gaggenau and Viking.

Who’s the client? Is he the same chap with the MadVR and NZ8 combo? Or another client? $8K to upgrade to Mark II is ridiculous.

Agreed…Jim don’t find 8K is a must-have at this point due to the lack of content.

Basically, Envy Extreme users are being given the option to trade in their Envy Extreme for the Mk2 at 37% of the new Mk2 price since the Extreme Mk2 is about S$22k. $8k for a $22k box is fair I think, but the prices of the Envy are certainly EXTREME given that its just a Nvidia 4080 :rofl:

Yes The combo client. No doubt the picture is luxuriously nice (yes I’m drooling)… the amount just too hard to swallow.

He is damn furious on the price being charged just because is considered “well to do” category… As much as he felt being carrot, like what bro Sammy said, LPPL, will do it anyway.

He will invite me to go again after the MK2 is installed, I’ll take more pics then… as I forgotten to take pics due to bz “cleaning my drool”

Well the ratio just don’t match after the conversion. The mark up really hard to justify

Agreed. However, its futureproofing. By the time 8K comes along, the Extreme Mk3 might be $30K :rofl: so $8K now prevents $30K in the future

Example of such client :grinning:

Have money but no knowledge of what’s going on. of course, he is at the mercy of the team.

This looks way nicer now, so much more natural and accurate as compared to the 20th century fox copy

Well done ! Love the quality on the lumagen! Very nice improvement … they look so natural and pleasing to the eye… tons of details and nice colour accuracy observed too

Desray, how does this one look ? Good ?

The screenshots looks good. Also from Lumagen?

Once again, Lumagen engineer Patrick is pushing the DTM envelope and the next firmware release will see even better DTM algorithmn. Here’s the post by the founder in AVSForum.

Desaturation release update:

I evaluated the latest test release Patrick sent me yesterday. It is amazing!

This release was using the full range on scenes that previously did not. That was the remaining improvement we were working on, but Patrick made some other improvements to DTM as well. While we plan more testing everything I looked at looked fabulous.

I am not given to superlatives, but I believe they are called for here. The best video processor just got better.

I have to get more information from Patrick on if there are additional tweaks needed before the next public release, but we are getting close. I will post here once I have more information.

Can’t wait for the public beta!

1 Like

Jim Petersen talks about his product…

Part 1

Part 2

1 Like

I have been testing the new beta firmware for the past few days and I am happy to say that this is by far the best version to date. Tons of behind-the-scenes HDR improvements made to improve the HDR image quality and bring it to the next level!

The new beta has maximized the brightness level up to 95% of the display capability and this is as close to a true OLED image quality as it gets from a low-nit display like a Projector. Super duper impressed!

1 Like

Could you revisit the dark scenes from the Black Panther beginning and see if they are brighter than they used to be. Some of them are down to single digit nits. Although when the machine gun fires, it rises to 1,000+ nits.

I was watching Aladdin on Disney Plus and the 4K HDR imagery is breathtaking…I decided to take a few shots using the new iPhone 15 Pro Max and I have to say tat I am pretty impressed by the image quality captured by the iPhone.

3 Likes

@desray Awesome looking update. I left you a message on AVSFORUM btw.

Lumagen has just released another firmware which sees even better improvements being made to the HDR.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

1 Like