LG Display (TV/Projector) Owner Thread

Nice! Will do just that. Can the software be install at multiple laptop? Will you have any idea?

time for a group buy :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

I’m not actually sure, from my experience with chromapure, the software can be installed on multiple laptops, but each time u start up the software, it will only work with that particular colorimeter. The license to use the software is tagged to the meter.

But on calman, any meter works. But license activation is through an email. So I’m not sure how many times we can activate this, need to try to know

The biggest benefit with auto cal is we don’t have to keep keying in the numbers using the remote , back and forth is so tiring with manual calibration . With auto cal, the Calman software “talks” to LG through IP , it then loads the numbers and settings directly on the PJ . Once the settings are loaded, it is greyed out. Users can no longer input anything.

What seems like a detailed thorough calibration that takes 1 full day, can be done in 4 hours

What seems like a simple 4 hours calibration, can be done in 1hr

Depending on the numbers of points and how detailed you want the calibration to be, it is still a lot more easier with autocal.

This can be done in all 3 inputs where u have Xbox, Oppo 205, or zappiti/ATV4K/Shield

Each input can be calibrated for HDR SDR dark/ bright….

One thing I have noticed is the calibration settings won’t apply to the built in app, the built in app like Disney + , Youtube & Prime video. Not sure why but it doesn’t work ! So what I can do now is upload the pattern generator for both SDR and HDR into my YouTube channel, then calibrate from there. Works as well.

:grimacing:

A lot of work… lol

That’s odd…

Does anyone have the final calibration numbers for the LG hu810p?
Mostly I need the adjustments for the color. The white lumens and the individual color values. Since I don’t have the calman calibration.
Most I see in these threads are value adjustments not actual numbers.
Any help with getting the color on point is greatly appreciated!

If I’m not wrong, you have to use a meter to do it. Cos the meter works with the pc and the pc takes the reading and pass it to the pj, hence locking it up.

The values of the reading works in conjunction with the type of screen that you have. In my honest opinion despite passing the value over to your pj, it may not necessarily be as accurate.

It is just like calibrating bass. The values in the mini DSP or the EQ in rew may not necessarily work in your room.

I’m also still in the learning process hence my comment may not be as accurate… logically I think my above statement will make some sense

1 Like

Wind is absolutely spot on!

These sort of values may not necessarily work in your room with the ambient light being different in every room. Also, each set that comes out of factory, somehow has different levels of blue or red, that indirectly affects green. So it varies from set to set.

On the calibrated numbers, these are stored in the projector and being locked/greyed out. We cannot see what was adjusted , as in what values were set, like RGB and luminance at -2,+3 or -6, we can’t see this value

Finally, there are adjustments controls available for final tweaks, post auto calibration . We can only adjust colour in the CMS menu or white balance in High and Low points. Everything else is greyed out. So calman engineer advised not to change any settings post calibration, but of course the set is ours, we can do anything we want. We can tweak and check again , and compare the picture quality. Worse case scenario, we just revert all back to 0 as the original post calibrated result. Nothing to lose.

That’s what I’m planning to do. I still have to see what the numbers are like post calibration, especially on HDR. So next time I will know how to better approach it when it comes to manual HDR calibration

There is also a way to unlock the IP function and autocal function in the AU810PW, if u look hard in AVS forum , but it’s too much hassle and I am not sure if LG will lock this in a future firmware update, so I went with the AU810PB autocal version.

Calibration has a big positive impact to the end result, well worth it

1 Like

Likely so because of differences in screen. And also, maybe 1 factor that will affect slightly is the difference in room’s darkness level that affects the target brightness u are calibrating at; which is also related to the room environment + wall colours that will affect ambient lighting?

But For TVs, this could be less of a problem when u copy settings over. But still the room brightness/darkness/ambient lighting is different for every room for bright room and dark room setting.

+1. same sentiments

1 Like

Thank you for your help and input!

1 Like

Can someone please tell me how do I get my projector calibration done and what is the going price to have someone do this or is there a way I can do this?
Also just to clarify I have the LG hu810p white version without the calibration software.
Thank you for all for your support and help!

Am afraid that the white version does not come with the in built calibration function.

Any suggestions?

Very manual way, use video calibration disc, clear color filter papers, match the clear filter and adjust until you see white… Just some example.

1 Like

With the auto cal feature, the biggest benefit is HDR calibration. As far as I understand, there is no one correct way to calibrate HDR. All manual approach doesnt look anywhere as good as the approach used by Calman-LG. This method disables the display’s PQ EOTF, but maintains the display in peak luma mode.

The display can then be manually calibrated as normal for grey scale, targeting the screen’s default 2.2 gamma curve, and measurements made for the peak RGBW primaries.

The peak RGBW values are then saved to the PJ and values written in 11, 22 points grayscale on the PJ. The internal processing with the display then maps the display’s HDR capabilities to the target PQ EOTF and Rec2020 colour space.

This is why the AU810PB model cost $1k more. Because u have the ability to autocal HDR

Even with manual SDR calibration, it is not as good as the autocal using 1D LUT for grayscale and 3D LIT for colours

From my calibration experience with the unit, it is quite accurate.

However , there are times with manual calibration, the controls provided within the Pj itself to adjust colours, grayscale or white balance, may not be working as intended. This is a problem with the LG C7 OLED units. The CMS (colour management system) function is bricked. It doesn’t work for HDR calibration . U can go on adjusting the colours, but it does nothing. So sometimes, u may have the controls, but it may not work as intended. U r then left with the default out of the box settings .

This unit however, is working well, everything works.

If you purchase this, calibrate it for SDR and HDR using the calman LUT based calibration technique, it can easily beat any projector <$10k price range, it will trash those PJ when compared side by side . That is how good it is

1 Like

As far as my eyes can tell the colors look pretty much the same as my calibrated OLED E7. I’m sure that they can probably be much better than what I currently see with proper calibrations, just keep reading about gray scale adjustments and wondering how much this affects the picture.
Thank you all for your time and support!
I just keep feeling like I can get 50% better images with proper calibration even though it looks great already.
I’m going to be adding a screen that a gentleman makes for home theater people on YouTube and such called Absolute cinema black 2.0 with a screen gain of 0.8 to help boost the black level because of my living room conditions.

Also as I read how awesome the LG hu810p laser projector is I would love to see it in action against the Sony, Epson and the JVC because those home theater sonbs keep giving me crap about owning this projector in the YouTube comments.
Just so sad that they don’t welcome new products with open minds.

That’s unfortunate. The 3 big Brand’s you’ve mentioned are often associated with home theater projectors for the longest time. Not many will go outside the 3 big Brands.

Whatever the case, if you think it’s good, that’s enough for me. No need to be bothered by other people’s comments.

1 Like

Yes, in the world of display calibration, 1D LUT grayscale tracking is considered very important. This will differentiate the good from the bad display because of its ability to resolve the different shades of black and white which ultimately plays a part in the overall perceived contrast of the display. That’s where you hear and read about conversations like the shadow details, blacks crushing, whiter than white (WTW) and any hint of discolouration when pushing the display limit etc. Once the grayscale is spot on, the. We move on to colors. That’s when you hear and see people mention about color management system (CMS). Colors is easier to calibrate for SDR but when HDR comes into the conversation, calibration becomes harder as we are dealing with a wider range of colors (WCG) and it is precisely the use of WCG that is making manual calibration a PITA. When we go into HDR realm, gamma is tracks differently at different nit level and also the use of tone mapping only makes it harder overall. Hence auto-calibration feature in Chromapure and CalMan does help to take the guessing portion out of the equation.

1 Like

Lol…I owned a JVC Nx5, and would have buy the LG one if not for ny RBE issue. :grin::grin:

1 Like