LG Display (TV/Projector) Owner Thread

1. You are right that I’m trying to tell the LLDV processor the capability of the display. I’m actually at a calibrated 70 nits in Game mode, measured in Calman, but HD Fury/LLDV has a minimum of 100 nits. So I can’t match it exactly.
  2. No doubt display led DV is better than player led DV, but player led is quite good IMHO. The DV DATABLOCK is part of display EDID that source will read to know a few things about the display capabilities and how it should send DV stream out, such as primaries, min/max lum, etc. So if you know your display capabilities, you can program them into the DV data block. However, there are more parameters that only display led DV can fine tune. I wouldn’t be using LLDV if LG DTM didn’t crush blacks (on my projector).
  3. I’m not sure on the LG PJ if any static tone mapping is applied at all because when DTM is off, anything over about 200 nits is completely blown. One would think that even a static curve would handle stuff over 200 nits in HDR. Having no tone mapping is actually an advantage because double tone mapping can lead to problems.

What scene is this? Which movie and time stamp for me to check it out on my Lumagen. :slight_smile:

Is there even any metadata to begin with? MaxCLL and MaxFALL for static DTM to work in that scene.

It’s on the Spears & Munsil disc. Just start the demo scenes and hit >| three times

1 Like

Thanks…l don’t have the physical disc but I think I have the ISO.

That’s 100% correct when it comes to proper DTM. :slight_smile:

The S&M disc does pass through data that is set. However, most projectors, eg LG, BenQ, Epson, e-shift JVC, simply ignore MaxCLL and MaxFALL. I can even substitute them in HDFury, but nothing changes in the projector. The exceptions are the JVC NX/NZ that use MaxCLL to adjust the HDR curve in Auto mode. Frame adapt mode may not use any metadata if it is analyzing frame by frame

For JVC NZ series, you are right about the JVC FrameAdapt HDR algorithm no needing the metadata at all. But I didn’t know projectors from LG, BenQ and Epson completely ignore the static metadata.

Finally recalibrated my prj. I must say it’s a significant improvement with Vs without the calman aurora engine.

With the aurora engine, image looking even more vibrant.

2 Likes

+1. it’s definitely a step up after it was incorporated into calman.

I wish they would improve the hdr 3d lut autocal and dv autocal calibration. That’s still something that is quite limited.

Yeah. The Matrix LUT measures only 5 patches so it can’t be that accurate. We PJ users who go SDR2020 can utilize accurate calibrations with external video processors

I wonder if we use the manual calibration method for hdr, can we perform a more detailed calibration? :thinking:

@Abhuj887, pls post in the marketplace segment of the forum. Thks.

Yes sir