HT session with Wind

Yes… Moving your head from side to side or using your hands (waving gesture) can also allow one to see RBE if he is sensitive.

Ok thanks . I am quite sensitive so asking :sweat_smile: . Currently trying the Optoma UHZ65 , only animation is ok . For the rest , the more punchy the picture , the more rainbows to my eyes.

Using the John Cena “you can’t see me” gesture?

Yes, RBE will be even more noticeable with white against black background…like scrolling end credits is the easiest litmus test to see if you are able RBE-tolerant. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, dont require john cena gesture also can see .

This I can’t . Think have to try to live along with rainbow unless willing to spend much much more. :sweat_smile: .

Haha this is funny. I would say it affect my elder boy more than me. My younger girl did not experience. I’ve not ask if my wife experience it.

Very beautiful! Enjoy man, syok !!

1 Like

Yes. Tried my luck to extend further… Failed the WAF.

“You might as well do everything, even the light also take out”…

What if my reply was a yes? @desray can delete my account from here on I guess.:rofl:

1 Like

Some reasonable definition I came across from Facebook. :relaxed:

What is Calibration?

By definition calibration is a documented comparison of the measurement device to be calibrated against a traceable reference device or standard.

In the home theater aspect, calibration is the process of tuning your system against the internationally accepted standard reference, from which the Studios that create the movie/content are also referenced.

The end goal of which is to make the home theater an “accurate” reproduction system of the studio - a Studio Reference.

This understanding of what a calibration really is gives key points that busts the prevailing myths circulating widely among enthusiasts today. This is not helped by the so called “pros” who encourage these myths because they either don’t know better, or the myths sustain their income and sales.

Lots of people think calibration is the magic that would make all the faults in their theater disappear. It is simply not true.

What a calibration CANNOT do:

1. Calibration CANNOT correct design errors - errors in design of a theater room is not correctable by calibration. Wrong speaker placements, wrong seating placement, are among the first casualties of the myth that says calibration can compensate for these errors. Calibration DOESN’T do that. A surround speaker that is installed in the ceiling will be coming from the ceiling during playback - and there is nothing calibration can do about it.

2. Calibration CANNOT compensate for bad room acoustics - room acoustics can only be corrected physically, by using proper design and implementation of correct acoustical panels in the correct place.

3. Calibration does NOT guarantee that you will like the sound - Calibration makes the system accurate and correct against the reference standard. And while most of the time this accuracy sounds awesome and incredible, some of us prefer a different sonic signature sometimes. For example, there are people who like overwhelming bass and find the reference sound somewhat lacking.

4. Calibration CANNOT be done by ear - A calibration against the reference involves accurate measurements and specific values that are contained in the standard. You simply can’t tell the loudness of a 75dB SPL standard pink noise by ear alone. And that’s just the beginning of it.

2 Likes

Its great to see someone actually put it into writing. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For those who attended my Audyssey workshops in the past will be familiar of I have to say about calibration…to reiterate, calibration or EQ-ing is only 30%, 70% depends on the room + the proper layout of your speakers/subwoofers and right amount of room treatment (not too dead). NOTHING, not even the most expensive AV gears you’ve owned will produce great sound for home theater if you simply ignore the 70% portion.

The most accurate point is pt (3)…what looks good on the graph (REW) DOES NOT necessarily translate into GOO SOUND…you will still need to tweak it a little or even compensate a little (even though the graph results is not perfect) to get the right sound. At the end of the day, calibration is STILL IMPORTANT, especially for imperfect room mode, as the saying goes, no one room is identical. Room mode can make or break…

3 Likes

Absolutely agree with you👍

1 Like

That’s correct. Sound waves, especially bass, are at the mercy of the room, your MLP… no amount of EQ can fix the dips if the sub position is not optimal.

Yup…either move the subs or move “yourself” (where you sit). Last resort if all else not an option, consider treatment but the it may not be as effective as the “moving”.

Been months since last post… On off post few replies here and there, read what interesting things members here been doing etc… well things happens…

Unexpectedly, my 98yo grandpa had a fall and broke his hip bone at Nov 21, had his surgery and bed bound now.

Few weeks back 92yo grandma admitted and not well ever since, also bed bound for now… Hence being the eldest grandson, I gotta pick things up on what my other relatives not doing and it’s really wearing me out to get things organised.

Some bros here heard me rant about them and am glad I had some listening ears, you know who you are!

Having mentioned the above, it doesn’t really stop me from what I love doing, I still managed to squeeze a little time here and there for some upgrades.

I’ve managed to ordered new Accuphase integrated amp for stereo listening together with a R2R DAC, and had the integrated amp “share” the power amp portion with HT on the LR spk.

Waited the integrated amp for about a month and it arrived just before CNY. It’s not a long wait since I’m occupied with family stuffs, but I’m glad it came and I can have them sorted during the small CNY break.

So here they are, the Accuphase amp with the R2R DAC with its DDC connected

Thanks to Bro @kennyluck2000 and @kaydee6 for the short loan of their gears. The short span of about 5 days are good enough to get myself poisoned on stereo.

I’ve used the Marantz power amp before, also a class AB, but there isn’t enough power for HT. Marantz has musical power amp, they are good, but for HT, I feel it kinda “sings” on it :sweat_smile:… don’t get me wrong, Marantz produces good power amp but probably it has only 150wpc…oh well… And am on class D for stereo ever since.

Alas, I’ve had the chance to try Accuphase, upon powering up the loan unit, it totally changed my perception toward class AB power amp again. Pairing it with a R2R DAC, I cannot believe what I’m hearing! Stereo on Class D had this slight digital glare on musics. Esp when streaming or even playing CDs. Hmmmm, how should I describe it I’m also not sure… but I’ve A/B both AB and D for about 3.5 hrs till late night, same song again and again, and am absolutely sure what I’ve heard… Cos I have to further convince myself on the difference ya…

With the Accuphase Integrated Amp and R2R DAC, you hardly notice the glare, or practically non! I mean I’ve tried hard to notice it but nope, unlike the D I’m having with Op Amp, it’s not that the D is not good but it just different. Pairing with the R2R DAC is buttery smooth! My favourite jazz and vocal music is pure enjoyment! I’ve not tried R2R DAC before until I loan it from bro and even without using the loaned P500, the R2R portraits a whole new way of music listening. One word. Smooth!

The Accuphase Integrated is really nice, classy and well polished surface, smooth volume rotary knob when you turn it, feels really exquisite.

The sound is rich, very rich! With vast amount of detail when the music is playing. It sounded warm, tones sounded full and dark, it’s pure, soundstage gets wider from my already wide stereo dimensional array towers, produces strong vocals on the mid range, even when tone level for bass and treble is adjusted to suit different kind of music, no distortion to music or whatsoever for as far as i can hear.

The VU meter window can see needle dancing to the music… therapeutic to watch, but at same time it can be switched off when using for HT to avoid distractions.

It has an impressing damping factor, low noise, and low distortion, resemblance much of a Class A kind of sound with lots of power into 4ohm for my towers.

The only thing that I can nitpick here is, though the integrated amp can bring the best out of any music you throw at it, it can also bring the worst out of any music meticulously if it has poor source recording.

I’m using roon through roonbridge from raspberry pi playing tidal tracks. I must say it really awe me to see how it unfolds the MQA and passing it to the DDC to do a reclock before passing it to the R2R DAC. I always tell myself there are better Stereo setup elsewhere that I’ve not heard off but then again, it’s just another starting point in my stereo journey and I also not sure how deep I will go (but better not go too deep also lol)

Yes I got the time today for this long post because I’ve not seen my grandparents for past week as they also contacted covid on top of what they experiencing right now…so as to avoid transmission, I have not visit them since last Sunday…sigh…

Anyway… thanks for reading this long post and I hope your time is well spent with the information I’ve shared. I do hope I have more time to do this sometime soon! Here’s a pic of my new layout. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Stay safe and take care everyone!

2 Likes

Hope your grandparents get well soon.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your blessings bro

Great review. Outstanding system.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the misfortunes relating to your grandparents. Health is wealth! Hope they are better now.

Stereo and HT are two different animals.
It’s very difficult to get one system that can do both well.

Would love to hear the Accuphase one day.
What speakers are you using for LR?

Thanks Ricky for your kind concerns. Well both of them still positive after PCR, so far minor symptoms like running nose, coughing… As my grandma have sepsis history, need to be more caution so to speak. Trying to make frequent vid call just to ascertain they are ok.

Well I’m using Polk Audio Legend L800, bulky towers, but the stereo separation and instrumental segregation is what captures my heart.:sweat_smile:

I agree with you that HT and Stereo are different altogether, that’s why this Integrated works best for my situation. Hybrid to use for pure stereo and to be able to switch to just using the power amp function for HT works wonder for me.

This way I can enjoy sound of AB amp under stereo listening circumstances, and also HT should I want it.

The gain match for the AB and D amps is pretty darn close when I’m doing calibration for HT, in fact the Accuphase is a tat bit higher than the Hypex. This is also something that it’s in my consideration before pulling the trigger. My towers supports 300wpc into 4ohm. The Accuphase amp is 320wpc into 4ohm and the specs fits perfectly.

Anyway according to the dancing needles shown, the songs I hear with respective to the SPL, wpc used hardly goes beyond 100w, or should I say 50w. It can get very loud if play till that level.

I would very much like to host folks here. I love meeting members, however under the current situation, it’s best to stay safe for benefit of everyone. Myself is ok, but I’m worried for my kids. Just 1 week and my young daughter sch already 9 cases, and they are only N1 and N2 kids can you imagine that…

I will feel safer if my children get at least their 2nd jab. I would not like to see them suffer because of me.

I hope I can meet more members here soon. You are definitely one of them :ok_hand: