HDfury Vertex2 related

Yea do share your experience after the vroom…. If it solves your issues…

Ok just finished my testing on hd fury .

Played the 10,000 Nit Full Enhanced Layer, video is very good on the PJ

I’ve used the settings above, setting global dimming to “supported” and 10,000 nits, I can’t tell the difference. Global dimming not supported and back to 1000 nits, still same

No diff !!

However, turning dynamic tone mapping on off on the Pj itself, there is a big big difference on 10,000 not dolby vision file

Below is HDR10 at 10,000 nits with DTM turned on on the Pj, still cannot beat dolby vision

U will understand why the vertex2 is such an important gear in my set up…

1 Like

Awesome!! IMHO, I’d prefer the one with DTM on. Have you received the vrroom yet? I’m still waiting for mine. When you have a chance, please post the screenshots of your configurations/settings for other tabs and share your steps as well. Happy Holidays! Thanks!

1 Like

Following up on my previous post , let’s put an end to any debate out there, which is better? LLDV or HDR10 for projector users . In my view, there is absolutely no contest, provided the projector is calibrated for HDR

On why this hd fury remains in my set up for use with projector . As you would have observed above, I had DTM turned on on the projector, and u can see a huge difference in video. But that’s not all… when u use the dolby algorithm, u will understand why im drooling everyday

I took a sample from a 10,000 nit content for HDR10 and 10,000 nit content from dolby vision FEL file. So if content from 10k nits is good, u won’t have problems with 4,000 nits or 1,000 not content. See how it looks below. Remember this is only on HP, and u can already see the difference

HDR10 at 10,000 nits using Pj DTM :point_up:

Dolby vision 10,000 nits :point_up: using DTM on Pj

U will notice on this, we can still see the sun on the right, where as on the HDR10 version, that sun has disappeared

Here is what is showing on the signal for hdr on hd fury

And here is what it is showing for dolby vision using LLDV

I haven’t, I’ll share that here, don’t worry.

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Enjoy the holidays

Happy New Year to all! As a follow-up, I got my VRROOM and have been testing it out. I found another thread on avdisco (HDFury VRROOM related - #8 by Ronildoq) and will post follow-up report there

Yea, haven’t had the time, very busy with year end accounting work related stuff….

Received the vroom last week but haven’t even unboxed it… gotta find time to hook it up soon

Will share the updates in the VROOM thread…

Ready….

Get set…

Vroom vroom ….

Go!!

Hahaha, happy new year to you too and all

Hey AVD members, hope y’all had a great holiday season with your loved ones.
As a follow-up, my original audio issue was probably caused by a combination of my old switch, Sonos beam design and/or Apple TV OS. With an advent of HDFury VRROOM, I got great sound and video, of course with some hiccups and areas for tweaking. I’m new to this and learning every day. Much thanks to your valuable feedback, especially Ronildog and desray, for my edification. Can’t wait for Ronildog’s demo/tutorial.

4 Likes

Nice results, thanks for sharing.

I can’t help wondering what would DV without additional display DTM applied looks like.

You still need the display to do proper DTM using the LLDV conversion derived from the Vertex 2 to get good 4K HDR imagery.

1 Like

I actually did a test recently to compare LLDV processing on a 1080p non hdr signal using this test disc below

So we have this option on the Oppo 205 under HDR settings

To either set this to auto or Dolby vision processing

If u set this to DV, all signal processing will use LLDV processing, even on non hdr content

What I found with non hdr content using LLDV processing is elevated black levels , it appears the algorithm is raising black floor to preserve shadows… so this disc had that game of thrones scene and it looked a little washed out and less inky… but u could see lots more details… again it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the directors intent… certain image are meant to be black and dark… so I didn’t quite like the raised black floor to preserve shadows with the LLDV processing … that is what it is doing

Original 1080p Without LLDV above

Unfortunately I didn’t take the pic with LLDV processing on, but I could see the elevated black levels

Then I came to the next scene, mad max fury, instantly I could tell the colours were dull and again I see that washed out effect. Switched it back to auto and all looked inky with good contrast…

So I switched it back to auto, and to use LLDV only on native DV content… that is when I can see the real benefit of using hd fury with PJ…

It could be nicer to use LLDV for hdr10 content… not sure about that, didn’t get to compare that. But definitely no go using LLDV on non hdr content,… that’s certain…

1 Like

That’s right…the colorspace itself is not even the same to begin with. SDR is Rec 709 while HDR content is at BT2020.

1 Like

I have an Nvidia Shield TV Pro/Vrroom/Sony XW-5000es, old 92 inch diagonal 2.0 Stewart screen, it’s bright on a small screen. If I go into the “DV” tab what settings for Max luminance, Backlight Minlum should I use to get best image say if you watching Black Adam. Just bought the Vrroom recently and trying to get good image out of the combo. Thanks for any advise from anyone who is experience in the HDFury products.

You can try these settings for a start

1 Like

Hi Bro, if you don’t mind can you also show your EDID, HDR/AVI and CONFIG tabs. I would like to try to see how the images look with LLDV. Much appreciated.

Use Profile 10 for EDID, Sony REC2020 LLDV, best.

Under HDR tab , can try this

You can uncheck custom hdr for LLDV if you do not want that.

The primaries must always set to REC2020, avoid using DCI-P3

when you do that, it says red 235,16,16 or 940,64,64 should produce 0.68, 0.32. But if you are doing BT2020, the brightest triplet would be 209,71,16 to produce that 0.68, 0.32 chromaticity. So the problem here is that the amount of luminance wont be DCI-P3s R+G+B values that equates to D65. They are just arbitrary colours. So I avoid using DCI-P3, the default is in DCI-P3, so you need to change it to REC2020.

If you are calibrating your PJ, do the same, don’t calibrate it for DCI-P3, always use REC2020

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try them tonight.

No problem, enjoy your HD fury !

By the way, black Adam video is fantastic, enjoy!

I tried all the settings you showed. I’ll leave it at 1000. I also tried 4000 but cannot tell the difference. Skin tone looks great. Very punch image on a small screen :+1:t6: thanks for your help.

1 Like

That’s because the source 4k UHD you have played, Black Adam, Dolby vision FEL file is mastered with a 1000nits monitor With REC2020 primaries . So 4000 nits setting here has no impact