Demo and catch up at Roni’s

Thank you so much bro for your kind words! The demo at your place will remain as one of my memorable experiences!!!

1 Like

Glad u enjoyed the session. I have personally enjoyed the session too.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mhd3EKZNRNFuKxBvoO-y3hc_8Qwo8U6H

Came across this link for demo worthy clips. downloading all the nice demo clips, from 2160p to 1080p

Lotsa new demo clips added to the drive as well, up to 1st June 2023

Quite an awesome collection, just completed the download 1.2tb of demo worthy content, Awesome stuff ! Checking out 1 by 1…

Shortlisting the solid ones, then compiling them to demonstrate different types of effects and image panning… very good stuff !

I’ve just watch A Queiet place 2, opening scene intro is magnificent on the AVM90 ! Damn! So good the avm90

I’ve watched this previously on the MP50, I don’t recall it being that good…

Looks like need to rewatch a lot of movies … so different now…

Oh yes, and the Oppo 205 failed to kick in dts hd after Atmos… need that dolby digital file … :rofl:

2 Likes

Good sharing.

1 Like

Do you use avm 90 for 2 channels music?

Ya I do , the AVM90 is very good.

In the past none of the avr or processor was good enough for me, especially for music.

So I was using Oppo 205 XLR out purely for music. So i got a noobsound switch like this below

It allows me to toggle between HT sound from processor , and music from Oppo

I did the comparisons and found that I don’t need to do that anymore with the AVM90

The switch is now idling in the storeroom, so everything goes through the AVM90 now… a lot less hassle to switch inputs and save cables + eliminated one more device in the chain…

Best !

1 Like

I’m kinda seeing this almost everyday on FB, whether it’s the AVM70 or AVM90… they are receiving a lot of positive reviews and feedback from individuals.

This is what I like most, straight from the horse mouth. I prefer to read this over some reviews done by professional companies

I got to know this from our member here Rock123

If it’s 1-2, or maybe 5 person saying it’s good, u can take it with a pinch of salt… oh maybe it’s his preference… but if u start observing 90% of the crowd who made the switch and started loving it, its gotta mean something

Because if the consumers themselves can already hear the improvements , imagine it’s full potential when a professional comes in and fully optimise the set…

Personally I’ve heard lotsa high end processors too… this one is right up there … I won’t trade this for a storm, trinnov, datasat, lyngdorf, mcintosh … it is that good …

The other one that’s equally good is the Audio Control … that is also very good IMO

Check this download posted by Tom Sawyer from AVS…

I have watched it a number of times on the old processor, it’s nowhere close to the AVM90

What I have noticed is that, a certain type of soundtrack ( dynamically mixed) will stand out with the AVM90

If I pull this demo clip below instead flashpoint to test midbass attack and punches, it is not so obvious

With this above Donnie yen movie to demonstrate midbass punches and attack, I don’t get much of a difference between the old processor vs AVM90

So the choice of demo material makes a difference, as in the content and how it was mixed

Pick the right one and u will be able to tell easily the pros and cons

Oh yes, this clip is much more suitable to test the characteristics of the subwoofer, less so for testing the quality of the processor

Because of how the content is mixed for midbass from 70hz down to 30hz , this demo clip is much more suitable for testing the slam and speed of the punches to the chest. Unlike the quiet place demo clip that requires a lot more processing power and object placement including bass articulation… this one is pretty straight forward test for slam…

How much “weight” or “speed” will depend a lot on the design of the subwoofers, it’s signature, punchy, bouncy, hard hitting , meaty, thin etc etc

So the choice of demo content is maybe ideal for one not so for others…

Equipment sellers will know this… it’s how they market their products. If u know the strengths of the product; u will know what’s the best demo clip for it…

Can I use AVM90 as preamp for my other stereo amp?
I am also interested on the STR preamp but I think the feature in the STR line is a bit dated. (no spotify, no airplay2). Maybe the AVM 90 preamp section as good as the STR?

Yes you can. But i am not sure how good is STR, didnt get to compare or A B this. reviews were pretty good though.

You can get a lot more out of the AVM90 by being diligent about keeping the gain in the sweet spot, with the input gain just low enough to keep the signal from clipping. That will provide you with the cleanest and clearest signal you can get from the AVM90, keeping the signal above the noise floor. It’s often the solution to basic gain staging issues.

Let me know if you intend to purchase it, you can always demo it before purchasing. im using inexpensive $5000 Monitor Audio GX300 speakers. The distri dont demo this at the shop. (not sure why). So i didnt get a chance to demo before buying, i had to buy with confidence based on user’s reviews on facebook. Also I dont get any commission or fees out of this. But its just good quality stuff that i think people should really check it out before biting bullet…

2 Likes

It’s almost like every other day some guy someone is upgrading to the Anthem…

Also noticed that the bunch of them are coming off a Marantz…

This was like 6hrs ago… how many more , I think it’s quite a lot… just observing from some others who post only on fb only…

The post just keeps popping up on my screen …

And speaking or the devil… see below :point_down:

Really need to hear to believe… otherwise u will have no clue at all how capable the avm90 is …

I am using GX300 also but I have sold my GXC350. Think of switch to Arendal.

here are the cut out clips i use to quick test the projector

you can download and give it a try… quite helpful

Use this scene above to test pixel clarity

use this one to test the shadow details… the entire underwater sea is dark… only the trident lights up… so specular highlights within a dark scene… so skulls and bones at the bed of the sea

Black panther Jungle scene above, test brightness and black levels

Black panther HK Bridge scene, test specular highlights in dark scenes

Use this one to test the skin tones on black people. most often the LLDV processing will have a red push. then the skin tone looks reddish and incorrect. It must have that black type of skin. so this one is a good scene to test that. How Inky is the black on black skin

Lucy → this one above test skin tones… if too yellow… Lucy will look like she has jaundice. Morgan freeman and other candidates skin tones etc

Harry Potter. The ah ma ah Gong visit scene… the ghost and ancestors summoned to give him the determination… so you can see the shape of the face of the ghost… if the tone mapping is not good enough, highlights will be blown, u cannot see the face and the details

Enjoy!!

Harry Potter quidditch game night scene. I recall the mix is very dynamic, when I was watching with the kids. It’s in dtsX

The first quidditch scene

Haven’t tested the scene, but have tons of whooshing bass. Moving up and down… quite fun

Enjoy !

1 Like

Next up is Reference Video demo clips for Colours… It is none other than Avatar the Way of Water

This is a special file, has got the DV layer and HDR10+ layer both present in the MKV container. Stunning Clarity and details.

Unfortunately, on the Oppo players, it defaults to HDR10+, we cannot choose, or rather i am not sure how to choose if i want Dolby or HDR10+ ? lol Anyone who knows how to please share… thanks !

I guarantee you will drool with this version. The BD version is nowhere as good as this. Only for the folks here. enjoy!

Reference for colours!

1 Like

2 more video, i have just figured out how to retain the Dolby Vision layer in the remux…

The light cycle battle scene above is superb for HDR video specular highlights testing. u can use this to demo both for Bass and Video… It doesnt contain the Dolby Vision profile inside…

the second file below, is the Air Battle Scene from Tron Legacy movie

Also stunning video in DV & HDR10+… This version contains both the Dolby Vision Profile 8 and HDR10+ layer in the same mkv container…

You cannot find this clip anywhere, it doesnt exist… there is no UHD disc for this movie yet… but check it out on your PJ and OLED, stunning!!

Enjoy!!

2 Likes