Cash's OpenHouse With Denon X3800H

Alpha Audio was super fast, but the God damned “NinjaVan” is totally useless…

No, I got it from AV One in Adelphi. They had only one in stock, so I zoomed down to get it. Ninja Van is the worst delivery service. Hope you get yours soon. Unfortunately, I’m going away for a month soon, so not sure I’ll get to play with the X3800H much if at all. But, I predict there will be demand for this one, so better get it when it’s available. By the time I get back, you would have figured it all out so I don’t have to scramble my brain :rofl:. Have to buy four Atmos speakers too.

Av One’s price always super high leh…
Look at the way they price “Monitor Audio”
I always look at their price and “Shake head”
Hehehehe!!
Numd nut’s who just wanna squeeze wallets…
Sorry to all who love AV ONE .

Av One list price was the same as Alpha Audio Shopee ad, but I was able to squeeze the salesman down. Alpha Audio also comes down if you pick up from Sim Lim Sq, but they only take cash for the lower price, whereas Av One happy to take credit card and the points worth a further 2% to me.

Not looking forward to the USD500 cost for Dirac Live calibration software. Hope there is a lower price for Denon.

I also not gonna go for the “Dirac thingy”
Waste time in my honest opinion…
Just run the Audessy one time, then switch it off…
Just Use db level meter after Audessy good enough for me…

1 Like

Yeah. Perhaps Audyssey is fine. There is a paid version of Audyssey too. Apparently they couldn’t use a good DAC because of the shortage of AKM chips. If I use it for 2 channel, I’ll probably attach an external DAC.

Finally received the Denon X3800H.

took a total of about 25mins to do “TWO” Firmware Updates…

Had Hiccups along the way to do the updates… had to switch the set off, then power up again, n the “GUI” didnt show up…
so i switch it off again, then power back up, and the “GUI” came back on screen…
Had to do this twice, this powercycle thingy…

Removed all the Black Pin’s from the speaker output terminal’s Just in case in the future, my 2 Nad Poweramp’s fail… it would be a pain in the ass to remove it later once it sits comfortable in the rack…
;D

Sadly i cant hook anything up as yet, because i have some mini renovation’s in my balcony area, in progress at the moment…
so maybe in about 2 or 3 day’s time all will be finished then i can clean up the hall n start evaluating the Denon X3800H as a PreAmp…

I installed my X3800H today and watched some music and Netflix after going through the Audyssey setup. I didn’t do any firmware upgrades yet. All seems to work well although, although all the HDMI sources are still plugged into the HDFury Vertex2 to get Dolby Vision LLDV output to my non-DV projector. Output 1 from the Vertex2 goes into the X3800H, while Output 2 goes to my MadVR HTPC. I could output from the Denon into the HTPC, but I like comparing the MadVR output directly to the unprocessed and since the Denon just passes through the video, reducing one HDMI segment may reduce problems. I am still running 5.1 as I haven’t acquired Atmos speakers yet. Will get four to use up all the amp outputs on the X3800H.

Denon/Audyssey sound steering in 5.1 is definitely better than the 20 year old Yamaha and dialog is crisp, if a little too crisp. The Yamaha was duller, but the overall sound was more weighty. I was also surprised how easy the Denon setup was. Just step by step instructions on the screen and after 30 mins or so you are done.

Tidal from my Bluesound was as good as through the Yamaha and turning on Pure Direct mode helped with the clarity of vocals. I’ve downloaded the HEOS and Audyssey adjustment apps, but not sure I’ll be using either much. Will eventually connect my WIIM/Topping DAC to compare a good external DAC to the 3800’s TI DAC.

What surprised me was the the X3800H was significantly lighter than the 20 year old Yamaha. Hope this does not imply any compromise in quality. I also found an inch of dust under the Yamaha, which had not been moved in 17 years.

From your pictures, here is the data sheet for the Analog devices DAC

Analog Devices ADSP 21593

Hope you guys can test out directional bass n let us know what you think of it

I only have one gigantic subwoofer that Audyssey wants me to run at 10% gain. May have to replace it with four smaller ones