Cash's OpenHouse With Denon X3800H

okie guy’s…
i have a “Dirac Calibration Mic” which was included free with my Nad C658 BluOS Streaming DAC…
out of curiosity, i plugged in this mic into the Denon X3800H to do the Audyssey Calibration.
it worked much better than the “Included Audyssey Mic for the Denon”
The “Dirac Mic is Omni-Directional as i understand”

Center

Front L / Front R

Top Rear L / Top Rear R

Top Front L / Top Front R

Surround Back L / Surround Back R

Surround L / Surround R

i dont understand these graph’s…
Hehehehe!!
is it ok?
any “Graph Reader’s” care to explain?

i followed the 8 point “Different Location” as set by Audyssey…
and these were the results after using the Nad Dirac Calibration Mic.

Anyway,
Front L n Front R are Perlisten r4b Speaker’s
Center is Wharfedale Evo 4.C
Surrounds Are Monitor Audio GX100
Surround Back’s Are Monitor Audio GX100
Top Front L n R Are DefinitiveTech Pro 1000
Top Rear L n R Are DefinitiveTech Pro 1000

Hard to tell if the graphs are the correction curve or the raw response or the corrected curve…
Install REW and do some measurement with the mic.

If this is the corrected curve, it seems there a big dip btw 40-100 region for the ctr;
This is where the bass kick drum freq at,… play some drum tracks thru the ctr, do you hear a lack of bass?
The L+R are affected to a leser extent.

thks for your input buddy.
i also dunno if these are the “Correction Curve” or “Raw Response”
i took these pictures after “Running Audessey”
then i went into the “Check Results Menu”
and these were the pictures.

more imptly, did the result make any difference?
Measurements are scientific validation/confirmation, still the key is listening as ultimately there will always be a personal bias…

Btw, doesn’t Denon have dirac also - or do you need to pay for it.
I used Marantz in the past and I really did not like Audessey.

i did notice a marked improvement using the Nad Dirac Mic, vs the Denon supplied Audessey Mic.
its very much more “Immersive” compared to previous setting with Audessey Mic.
weird part is that Nad Mic sensed n made all my “Front L n R plus Center as Full Range”

Sadly Dirac is a “Paid Option” if u wish to Purchase it for the new Denon’s

i had to change lots in the “Manual Settings”
most if not all my speakers were Close to Full Range…
Hehehehe!! weird stuff…

technically, all the spkrs shud be small & not full range for “best results”.
The key assumption here is that your sub is optimally placed for the “best” bass output, thus all spkrs shud leverage that.

getting good Bass response is the most challenging and positioning in the room can and will affect it significantly vs mids and highs.
In general context, setting spkrs to full means u will be muxing the bass from both spkrs and the sub, this tend not to give very gud result (inconsistent and less predictable)… I’m not sure how much Denon has progressed in this area.

in any case, u did mentioned u liked the results - that ultimately is wat matters

no buddy,
Audessey with the nad dirac mic gave me settings for full range.
i had to manually set them up as 80hz n above…thats what i meant

Hi ricky101,

After running audessey, my curve for centre speaker also shows a dip (-10db) but at around the 100 to 400hz frequency. Any tips on what I can try out wrt room treatment to minimise the dips?

Thanks

Firstly, you need to confim if the dip is due to Audessey correction. Remeasure with the Audessey setting defeated - if there is no dip, then it would confirms the dip is due to Audessey - in this case you may need to manually fine tune if that is possible - I’m not familiar with that aspect to advise further.

Now, if the dip is NOT due to Audessey, then very likely it is due to 1st reflection from any one of the six walls. Is your room treated in any way? Without more information I can only advise in general context. The easiest and fastest way to treat the 1st reflection points with a diffuser - this tend to be better than using an absorber (unless the sound energy is very high, then the absorber should not hurt).

If deep dips, Audy may not help.
You need help from dspeaker, minidsp, bass trap or acoustic panel.
Your room need to be treated or find a ‘sweet spot’.

Bought 6 pairs of JBL CONTROL 1 Pro Speakers…“Studio Monitor’s”