Avatar 2: The Way of Water teaser

I know you prefer calibrating your OLED in complete darkness and slightly away from the screen, but I had good success pressing the meter directly against the OLED surface, thus sealing out ambient light. That way I was able to run it during the day when nobody was watching the OLED and not in the middle of the night. I do realize that the heat from the OLED might affect the meter doing it that way, but it seems to work well at least with low delta errors on the post using PGen.

Ha night is 1 thing. But young kids another. In the day, totally not possible to do because the kids will go fiddle with the setup. Their naptime is only 2 hrs which is not enough for calibration. So night is the best. But it’s tiring :slight_smile:

Thanks to @Abhuj887 referencing the Pgenerator thread in another post, I found in the thread, my old pre/post of Calman’s Matrix LUT that I had deleted. Unlike LG’s internal generator, Pgenerator doesn’t have any issue doing a post chart with Calman’s HDR calibration. The color calibration isn’t bad with dE of 2.3, but no where as accurate as the Calman SDR BT2020 calibration where both bbspils and I got dE of 0.6-0.7

So its quite clear to me that for the most accurate HDR movie colors when using MadVR, that you should calibrate to SDR BT2020 and set MadVR appropriately.

1 Like

I may have young kids again in the near future, but they will be grand kids :rofl: Didn’t realize your kids were so young. Life may become better when they start school.

Ok found time to take few shots.

@ronildoq - does the file in your G drive has audio? When i played it, no audio strangely.

It’s so hard to take an accurate shot as the phone camera (which is a good lens already) adjusts the picture so much and affects shadow details/ brightness.

Doesn’t do the actual image full justice. In the actual image, I can see much more details on the face/body /basket. Beautiful video. I’ve taken this with the closest color and brightness on the face, sacrificing shadown details .

Here are other pics. Again, missing shadow details in the photo. And for the scene with sunlight, there is black crush on the dark areas in the photo when i tried to get a more accurate pic of the sun. Actual one is very different on shadow details. And color tone is slightly diff too on actual depending on the scene due to camera.

2 Likes

If I combine @Foodie shot on top of mine, we can see how MadVR lifts the details in the hair and basket when it tone maps. The reds look similar. My green is less saturated, but that may simply be MadVR lifting of the shadows all around. I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. Foodie has a more dramatic HDR look, whereas MadVR provides more detail. I suppose, it will be what you want.

Imagine though that in very dark scenes, you will see much more in MadVR. I think Lumagen will also lift the shadows, but we will have to wait for @desray shots.

Calling Dick @Abhuj887

Can you take a shot of this scene on your freshly calibrated HU810 for us to see?

It could be that the phone camera cannot capture the dynamic range of the OLED hence there will always be more that you can see with your eyes than can be captured on the phone

Here my friend shared his version

JVC N7 calibrated with spectro and colorimeter

The calibrated JVC looks fantastic on screen

Drool… he loves the Tekno3d files… damn solid…

I’m awaiting tekno team to release the full movie once it’s ready, will definitely get my hands on this… so so nice

Jvc N7 :point_up_2:t2:

Image looks very sharp as well

1 Like

Ya toggle to audio 2, in dts hd Ma…it’s an Oppo thing , first file in DD+

So nice right the video ? Beautiful !

Love the colours… this is like my new reference for video, absolutely stunning !!

Can’t wait to see it on the JVC NZ9! Wow that one is one reference PJ

Yes sure.
but where do I get this source? and what’s time of this scene?

Its further up this thread on Bryan (Ronildoq’s) google drive

@Abhuj887 here, download this file.

Zoom to timestamp 1.05… has got two audio, Dd+ and dts hd Ma

Stunning video I can tell you drool until not tomorrow …

Enjoy !!

1 Like

I’m still contemplating whether to watch this at the cinema as i understand that there is cinema with laser PJ that is having it in 2D :tired_face:

Dislike 3D. But i love avatar story.

Who says no 2D? I watched in 2D.

My bad, maybe i did not elaborate. Was referring to cinema with laser PJ but show the movie in 2D. :slight_smile:

Is there any theatre with that currently?

1 Like

I watched IMAX Dbox when I was in HK last month.
It’s amazing and the 3D is much better than years ago.
Definitely worth to watch

1 Like

If I really have to watch a movie in 3D , Avatar will definitely be the only one that I am willing to spend my money and time on.

Thx for the inputs, will try to find the “best” cinema to watch it. Hope in time.

But cny prep is busy period man…

Looks good. Tone mapping for the blacks looks great as well. Suspect the real image is better and color more accurate

We need to place the screens side by side to compare! hahahahaha…