AV/HT/Hifi Rebuild

wow, C2 used for backup system is truly a waste! are you still using MBL speakers for your main HT room? MBL better than C2 in AV?

Will certainly do that, but it would still be a while into the future…
I just contacted Abs Sound… still no news of the whereabouts on the delivery date…

Have experimented a few locations of the Arendals subs - wasn’t impressed with default L+R far corners… will try a few iterations. Once all settled, I will need to rerun the cables and hide them away,… with the constant movements, most are just left sprawling along the side walls or loose lengths bunch up at several piles.

2 Likes

As the song goes…
Que será, será
Whatever will be, will be …

In my very long journey (of 20+ years)…
at one point in time, I had a pair of Sonus Cremona M
which I replaced with the Dyn C2. At the time, I expected it to be the endgame move.
Then came the MBL and I told myself, that’s it. I cannot afford anything ‘higher’ than these…
Yet, a totally reboot happened… I went back to fundamentals and re-evaluated every elements…
Thus the rebuild so-far…

For now;
The MBLs are purely for MUSIC.
In MOVIES, the LCR duties are by the in-wall focals.

nice focal in wall speakers, it’s neater with lcr hiding behind screen, great job bro Ricky!

Here are some REW measurements to validate the actual results from all the room treatments employed…

Unfortunately I did not capture anything BEFORE since REW is a new tool recently added into my validation arsenal.

above is the filtered impulse response. From research, it was mentioned the 1st 50ms is the most important.
There are no obvious spikes which I understood to mean there are no big reflections (ie most 1st/2nd reflections are effectively addressed).
From the rapid reduction also means there is a good level of absorption.

Next is the RT60 plot. 1st objective is to keep thing around 200-300 (lower better but too low means room is ‘dead’ and not too good for music).
2nd objective to have minimal variations moving from 1 frequency band to the next - ie uniform decay vs uneven decay.

My room is average 500-600ms which is slightly above that of a music studio. Another quote says;
“Reverberation Time is the time it takes for a sound to decay by 60 dB** and is sometimes abbreviated T60 or RT60. A T60 of less than 0.5 seconds is ideal for good speech clarity and an ideal home theater room.”

I guess I’m good as I’m near the ball park then.

This is another representation of the freq response in the time domain.
except for the 40Hz and 15Hz, the rest looks pretty good if I can say so myself.

From my research some has shown that a flat freq response (2d) is not end all as they time domain response is what our ears are more sensitive too. And some early reflections can give a “flatter” response. While the time domain plot will show better clarity.

Unfortunately the 40Hz is the room modes which is addressable only to some extent - I cannot afford to put a giant bass trap to tackle this.

1 Like

Mind showing your room treatment to achieve above results?

Just scroll up to earlier postings… plenty of pics from theorectical to actual

Congratulations, one step closer! Scanned through but didn’t see any details. What are the long awaited surround speakers? Focal in walls?

Yep, Focal 300 series inwall (x4)

Latest update just 2 days ago, finally in Sg and to be delivered tmrw!

2 Likes

after 10 mths waiting time…

hv to get off my lazy ass, set these up and another round of pew pew pew…

3 Likes

Thanks Ricky for hosting me this morning… really impressive DIY setup for his room…it’s a cozy and relaxing room to listen music and watching movie… :heart::+1:. Ricky was a very technical guy and he definitely know want he want in his room.
1st session we play some music files from his server. When the music played, the lighting tone and the sofa really let me lay down relax and enjoy the music, i can really close eyes and enjoy the music
2nd session he play for me some movie clip from a few blockbuster movies. Immersive sound panning effects from left to right and front to back was all good from his Focal speaker. We demo few movies like the 13 Hours, Top Gun Maverick, Ambulance, Live By Night, Fury…His Arendal 2x sub did a good job on the bass region and his overall bass turning was just nice… not too heavy that you can feel the bass at the same time enjoy the surround effects from those movie clips👍

2 Likes

Thanks Kenny for making the trip.
I see all good comments, do share also any suggestion on area for improvements.
The pursuit is AV nirvana is endless and ever evolving.

1 Like

You have mentioned for movie for vocal you may feel a bit lay back… normally i will play 3db louder and decrease the sub gain 3db lower… do this until you find it is just right for your preference. Than set this profile in your Anthem just for movie.
Try this on a few movies and see if it work for you?
No strict rules you must decrease the sub gain… you may also increase or decrease the gain 1 to 2 db so long you can hear the dialog clearly and feel the bass to your preference.

@kennyluck2000 , are you an Anthem owner?

Desray, not Anthem user yet. But in the future it will be in the list to consider… :+1:

1 Like

Kenny,

The dialogue and vocals clarity is not an issue for me.

IMO, the soundstage imaging/presence is more a characteristic of the speaker rather than just relative volume - if it is just volume, that’s a pretty simple fix.

Thanks for the sharing!

Yes you are very technical guy and you definitely know the pros and cons what your system can and cannot do.:+1::blush:
I am most impress by your diy skill is outstanding… :+1::heart: