This has been in the works for the past 2 months.
It started initially with minor intention of “updating” my setup and like all things AV it suddenly exploded into a MAJOR upheaval.
I was looking to simplify the source component, ie finding a do-it-all device that can Stream and play offline collection for BOTH music and movies. In part I wanted to retire the bulky HTPC and merge it to a device like Nvidia TV or Apply TV. I too a look at zidoo and that amplified old discontentment with the existing setup.
Long story short, I ended up from trying to change a source component to redoing the entire setup
Here’s a shortlist objectives of what I wanted to achieve.
- TWO sets of systems in ONE room, one for Audio, one for Movies
- Existing Audio setup with remain (ie Pre-Power-Speaker)
- Brand new dedicated setup for Movies
- Enhance/redo room layout and treatments
- Convert to in-wall/ceiling setup with AT screen
From the above the majority of work (ie 95%) is to separate the Movies components from current where it is a mash-up configuration.
I’ve auditioned quite a number places (in the last 2 months) from Ken Kresiel, Lyngdorf, Focal, Wisdom Audio, Legacy and JBL.
The two I shortlisted:
- Focal 300 Series
- JBL Synthesis
I am leaning towards the JBL though it is at a huge premium.
A few key changes.
- Select a dedicated LCR designed range (ie vs those hifi stereo + center)
- Replace reflection Atmos with Ceiling Atmos
- Standardise all Surround and Atmos to same model
- Consider adding Back Surround channel (will depend on final layout MLP distance to back wall)
This I am hoping to reduce cost by salvaging existing Krell amp vs a new gen low heat pwr amp
The current processor (Yamaha CXA5100) will be replaced with either SDR35/SDP55 or Lyngdorf MP40
The NAD T778 is under consideration as part of containing the runaway cost
This one is still undecided, there are 3 contenders:
- Screen Innovation Slate perforated
- Screen Excellence Woven
- Screen Research Woven
I read that perforated is best in terms of visual but woven have an edge in terms of audio…
I need one that still works with a UST projector - did not want add prj upgrade to the ballooning cost!
Currently I have some adsorbers deployed, it is not giving me the outcome that I expected. There are no diffusers.
The target is to:
- Intersperse Diffusers and Adsorbers on front, side and back wall.
- Add ceiling diffusers
- Board up window at back wall (currently just a heavy curtain to block light)
- Replace recliners with a 3 seater sofa.
- Add 2D and 3D diffusers
- Maintain a 15% Adsorbers and 20% diffuser ratio (advice from Audioholics YT)