Amplifiers and updates

Came across this today, announced by apollon through their FB page

We proudly present our newest member of the premium amplifier range, the Pure Multichannel amplifier system. This special multichannel amplifier is based around the highly acclaimed Purifi 1ET400A module. It can be configured from 7 to 12 channels. The Purifi 1ET400A amplifier modules are powered by two 3.000 watt power supplies. Each channel has full power available, even when all 12 channels are driven at the same time. Every pair of channels has input sensitivity gain control. The amplifier comes as standard with XLR and RCA inputs selectable with a selector switch, 12V trigger, WBT 0703CU binding posts, two Furutech mains inlets and Neotech 12AWG UP OCC speaker wires. The input buffers come with LT3045/LT3094 LDO linear regualtors and OPA1612 or Sonic Imagery 994 op amps.

Some pics to drool, looks like one helluva beast

In case you have any doubt, here is a sample of the built 1ET400 mini stereo version

The chasis is not aluminium, but using better galvanised steel. Also the electronics inside are spaced at least 10mm apart, and lastly see how good the wiring and routing of the cables. This routing of the cables “around it” is significant, as it prevents the electronic parts from picking up stray interference signal

When u put a magnet :magnet: on top the chasis , it will not be drawn to it

In case u are wondering about the dual mono Mini stereo amplifier from apollon, here it is from Apollon

Quote:
our standard Purifi 1ET400A stereo amp is a true dual mono design with two Hypex smps power supplies, a input buffer with class A discrete PRO op amps and a quite bigger enclosure. This is why our standard 1ET400 stereo amp costs quite more.

The 1ET400A mini has ic based op amps (opa1612) and both channels share one power supply. It has a much smaller form factor and is quite lighter.
Unquote :slight_smile:

That’s the dual mono version in case u need to DIY

That should be good enough for the surround speakers :rofl:

If I got this for my downstairs room I need 8 channels for left and right on my stereo rig and 13 channels for my Atmos… will go broke.

Unlike other buffers, including the Purifi EVAL1 and the Hypex NC500 Evaluation Board, this Input Buffer will provide a differential output for the Class D amplifier, even if the input to the Buffer is single-ended. This ensures that even a single-ended source can drive the 1ET400A and NC500 to clipping, something the Purifi EVAL1, Hypex NC500 Evaluation Board, and many other input buffers cannot do. Many also report improvements in sound quality when the Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex NC500 are provided a differential input.

With The Apollon version , we had two choices

PRO INPUT BUFFER – SPARKOS LABS SS2590 OP AMP as above

Or

PRO INPUT BUFFER – SONIC IMAGERY 990ENH TICHA DISCRETE OP AMP

I was told by Tibor the sonic imagery is a better choice. But measurements from Amir at audio science reviews confirms the impact is insignificant

So we went with the stock input buffer

Until today, still no regrets with the purifi 1ET400 from Apollon, very very good. Very satisfying especially when paired with the Divini PTY power cord, fantastic sounding

More updates now from apollon website

Our Purifi mini now comes with selectable input sensitivity gain, XLR+RCA inputs, Furutech mains inlet, WBT binding posts and Trigger as standard.

Here is one video from Thomas guy again…. Seems like same findings … again… only thing is I found out 2 years ago…. The pairing of divini PTY power cord with the 1ET400 monoblock makes the sound very sweet… that’s the exact word I used 2 years ago…. But on xtremeplace forum …

I also have the benefit of comparing it against the ati525

On that part, I don’t find any muscle but maybe partly because I don’t do full range, I leave that duty for the subs, so never had the chance to really feel any “meat” below 100Hz

On the part where it sounds neutral, he is spot on. Very neutral indeed, so much so that adding the furutech NCF material into the set up and u can tell every single detail with and without

Good amplifier, still enjoying it until today…

Here is one,

A 200 Power Amplifier

This looks awesome, T&A with purif, has varying options for damping factor reduction or increase

The damping factor of the A 200 can be reduced if a warmer or softer sound image is desired in combination with particular loudspeakers.

New Purifi 1ET7040SA
Class D ultra high end power amp
950W (2ohm), 500W (4ohm), 250W (8ohm)
Dynamic range = 129dB
TDH+N: <0,00035% at 200W, 4ohm, 1kHz
Output noise: 14uV

Looks like a beast ! Rotel Michi

What a beauty ! Not sure how they sound ? Esoteric Grandioso S1X

Will get an opportunity to try out the Nuprime Evo 2 after CNY… apparently very analogue sounding amp. interesting to have the chance to compare it against the monoblocks from Apollon 1ET400

Looks :point_up:

Also get to check out the China Clone Purifi in the process :point_down: about sgd800

Finally got a chance to compare these ampfliers today! A quick summary, pardon me not very good with describing how it went, but will try my best as below base on my memory today.

There were 4 of us present, we just tested it for Stereo. In a nutshell, the China Clone Purifi is a Stereo amp coming in at approx SGD850 landed, The apollon monoblock purifi 1ET400 cost SGD1.8k at time of purchase, x2 will be $3.6k. At today’s price, the Apollon cost $2.4k landed/monoblock. Finally, we have the Nuprime Evo 2 coming in at MSRP SGD5.5k/mono (today’s price)

We tested various different types of music, instruments, chinese instruments, female vocals - Susan Wong, male vocals - Zhao Peng, Wang Fei’s 'Tian Kong" unplugged, Zhou Hua Jian’s Peng You and other songs, Carpenters, and another San Guo drum/flute music. We were playing between -5 to -12 MV depending on type of song. No problem driving the MA GX300 speakers

It wasn’t really necessary to do a blind test because it was pretty easy to differentiate all 3 amps. They all sound vastly different. Nothing changed except the amp. We used the same speaker cables, interconnects, power cord and speakers. Just plain simple 2 channel stereo. So we rinse and repeat the same track to get a feel of how they each sound.

Clone Purifi
1st impression was really good. The clone purifi was clear, detailed and had a signature very close to the purifi amps. The difference lies in the energy levels, (somewhat lacking), the music was flat and a bit more laid back. This is expected when energy levels are lower. it also lacked the contour and layers and Rhtyhm from music. But for the price and the details and clarity it provided, it is probably worth a consideration using these for Atmos duties. Great Value for the quality, bang for buck type of amp.

Apollon 1ET400
Ive been using this amp for some years now. So very familiar with its signature. Its highly reviewed on ASR and couple number of other folks are using it too. Energy levels and Dynamics were better with purifi with the Nuprime coming behind second.

Nuprime Evo 2
When we first tried this, immediately a few different areas were obvious. The first thing we noticed was the contour and layers to the music was so good. The strings from the guitar was so layered and detailed it had so much Rhythm to it. We do get this on the Purifi amps, but the Nuprime was on another level all together. It was smooth sounding non fatiguing and non piercing. Also with the Wang Fei Tiang Kong music, the instrument decay was in such a way it decayed off in layers, had that gradual roll off and so pleasing. With the purifi, you could not hear this gradual decay, it was like instant roll off/cut off. The separation for details was so good with the Nuprime. At this stage, we were like, if we didnt do a A B Test, we would not know what the differences were. it was quite a difference. All 3 amps were good, clean detailed sounding. But as we play through different sound tracks, certain things, ie instruments, breath, separation, saliva tarik, dynamics, energy levels, becomes a lot more apparent. Although the Nuprime isnt as aggresive as the Purifis, it excelled in control. The transients were very fast and precise with the instruments. Very very fast layered type of transients i really enjoyed the ribbon tweeters with the Nuprime. When they played the bamboo flute, the notes sounded clearer on Nuprime whereas the purifi sounded more like someone blowing air (using more energy and breath) into the flute. The imaging and separation was very good and controlled and the Purifi though having the energy, produced somewhat less controlled kind of sound. a bit like messy with too much energy when comparing the two. When we came to Zhao Peng male vocals (this guy has got very low voice), it didnt sound as deep. The purifi produced that deeper male voice. So its quite interesting.

Overall, they all had their pros and cons. One thing is for sure, in deciding which amps to use for your speakers, its good to understand the characteristics of the speakers and go with a matching amp. Also , some may prefer a more aggressive forward sounding system whilst others might prefer a laid back relaxing type of signature. It all depends on each individual. Whilst i do visit ASR to have a look at measurements of these amps, Ive come to realise one thing,nothing beats home demo pairing amp with the speaker of your choice. They are just so vastly different . I believe that unless you had an opportunity to AB them side by side, its just as good as guessing… Measurements helps, in telling certain things, like distortion, clarity etc… but certain things, energy levels, separation, imaging, layering, contour, warm/bright sounding… you cant see this in the measurements. The only way, is to listen…i didnt realise that the Purifi 1E400 Class D Amp from Apollon with Sonic Imagery, is on the agrressive side until today… i always thought class D has a lot more laid back type of sound…

It was a fun day today!!

Quote from Nuprime web site

The Evolution TWO sound characteristics can be described as:

• Wider and deeper soundstage with no loss of clarity at the greatest depth. With large-scale orchestral recordings, you will be able to have a clear image of the last rows of percussion and wind, even the subtle pedal sounds! Such details are presented in a truthful manner without artificial enhancements.
  • Faster dynamics with greater range and powerful full frequency range.
  • Natural and pure due to ultra-low distortion
  • Cleaner background that provides greater detail and nuances
  • Class-A like warmth

above is very accurate description as we have tested it today…

1 Like

Have you done gain match before testing them?
are all 3 amps set to have same gain?

Wasted, No Nad Purifi EigenTakt to compare…

Good question. The clone amp had a gain setting, whereby you could turn the volume all the way up and down, whilst the other two monoblocks didn’t have any gain settings . I was actually lazy to gain match them and was only interested in listening to the “quality & signature” from the amps

One of the participants did ask this question during the comparison session.

So all we did was, increase the gain on the clone amp and other amps. Even after increasing, you still cannot get the dynamics and the contour and layers from the music. It was just plain loudness, that’s all to it.

When we pushed the unit louder down to -5mv, we were looking for distortion and clipping. We didn’t notice this with all 3 amps. All played clean and loud down to -5mv, which was pretty loud.

Those separation , layers and transients, dynamics. details and decay… cannot be had even by cranking /reducing the volume . Either it existed or less layered or totally non existent… that type of impact…

The interesting part with the exercise is that the same speakers can sound so so different with the different amps…. Almost as if it’s another new speaker… so different character and presentation

Ahh that would have been nice… it’s ok there will always be another time … in general , the same purifi amp can sound different too. With differing characteristics from the various OP amps available to consumers . Below was the advice I got from the makers of Apollon on the signature of each OP amp

Quote from Apollon below :point_down::
the opa1612 sounds more transparent and detailed than Sparkos or Sonic Imagery. It has way lower distortion and this is why it sounds more detailed. It is still very musical. The Sonic Imagery sounds a bit more colored and brighter. Sparkos sounds more mid forward and has that tube like signature.
Unquote:

Back then we only had two options, either sparkos or the sonic imagery. The Apollon 1ET400 that we demoed uses the sonic imagery Opamps

Yup, Opamps is the make or break deal in Purifi…

1 Like

The clone purifi uses the opa1612…