Satellite speakers recommendations for micro HT setup

Hi all, I’m considering to setup a micro 5.1.4 system in a tiny spare bedroom (4rm BTO) using satellite speakers. Currently have a 65” oled n a Samsung Q90R in the room. Do you think it’s worthwhile to build a system based on sat/sub or I should just continue with soundbar? I’m considering SVS prime satellite + SB1000 sub package tat I found in Lazada, what other great satellite speakers I should consider? Hope to hear from you your opinions & recommendations. Thanks!

Nothing beats a physical speaker “presence” to surround you in a more convincing manner. So I would say go for the satellite speaker setup.

Plan around your budget.
You’ll need:
AV Receiver (if 5.1.4 means you need a 9 channel AVR)
4 more speakers besides the package in Lazada
Speaker cables (since you doing reno - best to run the cables to back)

IMHO
Definitely discrete. I have moved from soundbar to discrete previously in my small room and the difference is huge.

Also, I will suggest to into OTWs ( on the wall) speakers too. They should take up less estate from the depth perspective, looks better personally and could get more and bigger woofers which should give more “oomph”.:grin:

Personally for OTWs,I am using XTZ Spirit 2s for my atmos and Starke VS61s for surrounds, VS62s for LR. Nowadays, most brands have OTWs in their range.

Hope it helps.

Thanks all. I’m likely to use on-wall speakers for LCR and was looking at m&k m70/50 and Martin Logan motion 4i, r they good? But dun tink they r available locally like the SVS prime package. Is the prime satellite good? I’m budgeting $4K for the speakers, not sure if tats enough. Avr will likely b Denon X3700H.
The main thing I’m not satisfied wif the soundbar is tat the sound panning, whether atmos or horizontal, doesn’t sound very well. I hope going wif avr will improve this aspect. Else I’m quite happy wif the sb.

Doesnt Norman Audio carriea Martin Logan?

I suggest to include your surrounds, if possible, into the same mix.:grinning:

I like ribbons, am using Legacy Audio and I love them. Actually now exploring to replace the other setup with ribbons.

Try to keep your speakers with the same brand and series if possible to give cleaner panning and sound signature to all audio.

Also consider your source material / devices as some AVR might not support all the speaker formats you have in mind. 5.1.4 should be doable for most new models, but AVR with this support might demand a premium budget.

Good subwoofer is key for HT system. Basic room treatment will also yield good return.

2 Likes

Hi all I finally set up a 5.1.4 with some ancient KEF eggs, Denon x3800 & stark sw-12. Did few rounds of calibration n speakers position adjustments and now it finally sounds sweet! Very cohesive and enveloping since using all similar speakers and bass is cleaner n deeper too. Super happy with it for now. Next up I’m getting absorption panel to place behind my head as I’m sitting up against the wall, so hope someone can advise whether I should get higher density absorption panel or lower ones to clean up speech n bass. Previously I had experimented with stacked bolsters n that helps subtlely but audibly. There’s 3 density 60/80/100 kg/m3, so which shld I go for? Thanks

1 Like

buddy, i see that u bought the denon X3800H too… i believe u have done the firmware updates?
if u have, can u help me out by going into the “GUI”, “Amp Assign” n see if u have the option to change to all “Preamplifier”…
just wanna see if its only my set that has a problem, or it affects all Denon X3800H user’s…
Thanks in advance.
Cheers!!

I’m not sure if i have the update set to auto, but will check that tonight

thks buddy

Nice. The kef eggs are very good for HT. I used to have an all kef egg setup too. When setup and calibrated properly, and paired with good subs + avr, it can sound v v good

1 Like

Anyone knows how to send an audio sweep to the atmos speakers? Currently using YouTube videos for the bed layer but can’t seems to find method for atmos. Thanks for any suggestions

Here is some pink noise for your Atmos speakers from Dolby

7.1.4 Atmos Test Tone

If you have an Apple TV 4K, you can use this tool to generate sweeps or pink noise

Atmos Sound Generator for Apple TV

1 Like

Thanks unfortunately I don’t have Apple TV. I’ll try the pink noise and see if I can get a freq response graph. Thanks

If you have a media player to playback MKV files, the new spatial audio test disc has a demo file that uses 3 of the 4 atmos channels, except the left rear atmos is not activated.

Pretty interesting, low full voice (not unlike optimus prime type) that people like to use for center channel test, and it is moved around as an audio object around all channels.

1 Like

You bought the disc? I was about to pull the trigger to buy it when their stupid e-commerce site didn’t work and TechnoDad didn’t bother to get back to me and I let it slip. It was supposed to be a group buy but in the end, I decided not to get it. Very bad experience.

No, I just used the free download test clip.

Watched Joe n tell explanation of the test clips. The panning test tracks are far more detailed and comprehensive than any from Dolby.

They have checks for object placement and movement between multiple pairs of speakers.

For the 50% height between bed layer and top layer, there are pans that require simultaneous phantom center between 6 speakers! 3 on the bed and 3 on the ceiling. Absolute torture test.

Not a surprise but I’m glad this has been covered. For every speakers, including subwoofers for that matter, there will always be a “phantom” or “virtual” center space. If done properly, if will “fill up” the void in between the bed layers and the height layers.

This is why some prefer “phantom center” as it sounded more “focused” and less “in-your-face” especially when the center speaker is not properly positioned or worse a different brand and make with different driver design etc.