*Official Thread* Anthem AVM 70 & 90 and MRX 540, 740 & 1140

Yes that’s correct observation, ARC did far better job at eliminating standing waves than Audyssey.

1 Like

Saw this on avsforum and just to share for the benefit of those whom want to connect
more than 2 subs for AVM 70.
This is exactly how i connect my dual subs and dual tranducers.

Before doing ARC, just select 1 sub only.
For my case, I did a quick measure of each sub each at 71db and both together at 75db
Afterwhich did ARC calibration ( Distance, delays, Phase ) once fully completed and upload,
Just have to toggle on Sub 2 via the AVP Speaker settings itself in order to set 2 subs settings which will be intact always.

Don’t quite understand this…
Can elaborate more?

You mentioned more than 2 subs - so you mean u do ARC without the 3rd or 4th sub?

@ricky101 bro correct.

Do arc only for 1st and 2nd Sub ( connected via Minidsp HD input 1 to RCA out 1 @AVP )
Dual subs connected to Minidsp HD Output 1 & 2

3rd and 4th sub are tranducers ( connected via Minidsp HD input 2 to RCA out 2 @AVP)
Dual tranducers connected to Minidsp HD Output 3 & 4

Here’s the latest pricing from E77.

Anthem 540 $3,090
Anthem 740 $4,860
Anthem 1140 $6,480

Anthem AVM70 $5,840
Anthem AVM90 $10,480

Anthem STR Int $7,460

For further inquiries, pls check with E77 in person.

2 Likes

can not afford 90 any more, so just settle down with my 740, lol

No right or wrong as businesses need to make $$
But as a consumer, that’s not good news. Maybe retailers are riding on the very positive hype abt the Anthem right now and there’s always the FOMO in all of us.

Personally, I think the extra premium is better utilized elsewhere…
ie, I can get my 4th sub :star_struck: vs moving from AVM70 to 90
it all depends on what specific objective(s) u r after on the upgrade.

From 70 to 90, key diff are only

• “better” DAC
  • 2 additional independent subs ch
  • HDMI 2.1

The law of diminishing returns applies… for that increasingly small delta in improvement, is the asking premium worth it?

I would look at my setup and ask myself, what is the bigger bottleneck - $$ is better spent there than trying to chase the latest and greatest - just my 2cts.

2 Likes

I agreed with your comments. For AVM 70 users, there is really no need to rush to upgrade to AVM 90 imo as the price is almost double.

2 Likes

Today I spent some time to setup 9.x.6 with Front Wides FWL and FWR running 15 channels on the AVM 70.

Just sharing quick findings:
Not all movies with Dolby Atmos have Front Wides activated

Below are the movies ( ATMOS) tested which I can hear sound coming from FWL and FWR channels

1. King Kong vs godzilla 2021
  2. John Wick 2

Movies on DTS: X MA , DTS Neutral : X - Front wides are NOT activated.

Only I change the audio to Dolby Surround, FWL and FWR are activated.

2 Likes

Great sharing with the wides speakers being engaged only for Dolby Atmos and not DTS:X. Seems like Dolby implementation of its surr format is much versatile than DTS.

1 Like

If I’m not wrong. Front wides are far more supported in Dolby compared to DTS. Think Dolby are the ones that only uses front wides. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

can’t agree with you more bro…if I only got $5k to spend, it is probably better spent on power amp upgrade than AVM90.

1 Like

Haha, there is no right or wrong. You both are right from your own perspective. Depends on person’s desire, itchiness and how much is he ready to spend on his gears, it all depends. If you ask me, I will blindly upgrade to AVM90 and run dedicated subwoofers from all 4 channels. Net Streaming plus its SABRE flagship DAC for stereo, as we expect to have a very low noise floor for 2 channel music listening. So it becomes all in one Box solution for me.

I never tried AVM90 for stereo listening but I expect that should me amazing. There are many lovers of SABRE DAC’s out there. FYI, people spent 200k USD on a stereo DAC itself!. :money_mouth_face: :sweat_smile:

depends on individual setup, and their needs, if all your system setup is excellent except for processor and upgrade to AVM90 will fill the gap, why not, but for me, obviously this is not the case.

Hifi could burn more money than HT, so not surprising to see ppl spend a fortune on that. To me, HT is merely one of my many hobbies, the hobby might end earlier if I spend a lot on gears but not able to yield a decent result…In the past I did listen to very expensive setups which are not impressive, and I also saw folks exit the hobby after upgrading non-stop without satisfactory outcome, so I’m very cautious.

1 Like

I totally agree with you.

1 Like

Hi, I have seen you mention this several times now. I don’t understand why?

New ARC Genesis Beta (v1.6.5) just came out…It seems to fix a lot of bugs.

Version 1.6.5:

• MRX/AVM/STR: fixed an issue where ARCG was sometimes targeting a 75dB SPL reference when it should not
  • Fixed an issue where the application would deadlock on shutdown if the discovery screen was active at the time
  • MRX x40/AVM70/AVM90: Known issue for host FW 68 or earlier: changing speaker profiles on the currently selected input does not fully take effect. The ARCEQ for the previous profile remains in place. Workaround: setup multiple identical virtual inputs with each one on a different speaker profile, then switch the current input to select different profiles

Download here: ARC: Beta Downloads

2 Likes

Wow , I just finished recalibration 5mins ago . LOL…

Re-do? LoL…

Yah with Front Wides… lol:) Thanks for sharing bro! Appreciated.