Not enough bass even after house curve with Audyssey app

Desray, I don’t touch DEQ. I understand that DEQ compensates EQ for volume level. I leave that off. I was talking about the difference between Audyssey Reference and Flat mode

Here is my subwoofer output at Audyssey off (blue), Reference (Red) and Flat (Green) using REW

Your response is pretty good for a house curve. I usually go for Reference mode and never try the Flat mode. But based on the diagram depicted in REW, the “flat” mode (unaltered state) seems to have a higher output. Interestingly. if this is the case, seems like “flat” is the way to go.

Whoops! Mislabeled. Red was Reference corrected now

LoL…Anyway I don’t see there is any need for you to squeeze any more performance out of your current setup based on that response of yours.

Sorry for noob question but how to improve the dip in the 60-70hz? Is this a room mode? Thanks

Depends on how big is the dip. If anything more than 6dB (a rule of thumb), then this a room mode issue but if it is anything less, you may want to do some room treatment but this is not as easy. How much loss in output are we talking here?

:slight_smile: concur this blown away… need AB to rely feel the difference.

Ultimatelh it’s preference.:slight_smile:

One question, if the movies themselves are already mixed with a built in house curve ? Is it still necessary to have a house curve ?

If you notice the BEQ done by AVS guys, they focus mostly on fixing the ulf content that got butchered by studios… but the majority of the original newer movies LFE content itself has a built in house curve …

So is it really necessary to have a house curve ? Or a flat target would suffice ?

I used to communicate with mark seaton in the past on bass…

He advised me many years ago … as follows on house curve

Fast forward to today. I don’t really follow the above…

I use the built in EQ from subs plate amp to lift frequencies <30hz only on the quad 18” subs. I do not use any house curve or manual boosting EQs . I do however apply level boost on all subwoofers for HT post EQ, and partial level boost for music… I find this approach to have a better balance between midbass and ULF…

However, I do come across some older movies that is rather flat, like this movie flash point , evil dead and pride prejudice zombie below

So maybe for movies like the above, a 8db knee jerk from 65hz down to 20hz will be preferred by many ?

House curve…

It’s one of the topics that gets discussed all the time …

2 Likes

Good sharing…

Correct. I find some movies sound just right without BEQ, and some will need BEQ for my case. No “one bass curve fits all” scenario if you want to be really meticulous about it

A boost is always recommended post EQ since the purpose of calibration is to make all Freq response for all speaker flat according to your room nonetheless.

1 Like

I see, so some movies just without BEQ.

Do you run a house curve + BEQ ? Some of the folks run HC + BEQ the same time…

It’s quite interesting because I notice the majority of the movies these days kinda already have a built in target curve… so the question really is all about….

Should I have a house curve post EQ ?

BEQ looks like it’s needed most of the time, because of how mastering studios truncates frequencies <20hz, or sometime <30hz …

There is also another camp that doesn’t use a house curve; but purely boost subwoofer levels post EQ. That means they raise the subwoofer levels by 6-8db across the entire low frequency spectrum handled by subs …

There is another camp that does just HC and No BEQ…

Finally another camp with no HC , No BEQ…

4 camps…

I’m currently in the camp of boosting levels post EQ + HC only below 30hz + BEQ…l

1 Like

For me, definitely not a BEQ fan. ARC already did quite a good job when it retain the “room gain” inherent of the room itself staring from the 200hz range all the way to 20hz. If more infrasonic is required, a small increase in deep bass range after 20hz will provide the grunt needed without any negative impact to overall bass. As you can see, I’m not in the BEQ camp. Granted there are some movies that are neutered of it’s bass but this is what it is…if it’s a badly authored transfer like most Disney titles, so be it, at least we know there is nothing wrong with our system. When we playback some really good titles with good bass, it sounded and feel more natural without any added flavor.

2 Likes

Sorry I made one mistake above, I do not apply BEQ to the subwoofers, I only apply BEQ on the crowsons actuator…. Didn’t make it clear enough

Because I’ve already added an aggressive house curve <30hz and level boost, I didn’t see the need for a house curve to be applied for subwoofers…

So ya, BEQ is only applied on minidsp 2x4 hd that uses the crowsons actuator only with a 12db Octave low pass filter filter @15hz

Forgot to mention this part

1 Like

I am not in the camp of BEQ, the pass i had listen to few members who been applying BEQ to their demo movie… you need to load the specific BEQ file to the dsp for the specific movie… the end results for bass feel does not justify to how i feel in some members setup without the BEQ. And not every movie have same bass feels… some have a lot deep bass some had a lot mid bass… some members even feels some movie the bass is suck. :grin:
I have a DJ friend once told me, not every song got good bass, you need to identify the song where the bass lack… need to boot certain range of feq and mixing well with other songs to get people enjoying your music… If the crowd love the music you played than you are doing something right.
We are all born creative… so there are many way out there where we can tweak to make certain movie to sound the way we want it to sound or closer to what we expected.
The recent visit to NGSK setup… love how he had tweak his bass… from the pass and now i consider 2 different type of bass… the previous one was tight and clean, the latest one hit hard and lot of feels… so depend on which type of bass camp you are in :v:
One more to add is our sense of feel…everything that surround you which you see and hear will contribute to your overall sense of feels :v:

4 Likes

I’m using HC without beq on my subs and shakers.

More simple for me for deployment as i dont need to keep toggling beq on/off and toggling hc on/off respectively between bd/hdd movies, Disneyplus, netflix and demo tracks. And movies/tracks with beq and some not.

2 Likes

Hi Sammy,

Late reply to old thread. This was recently covered in the Joe n Tell Audyssey X youtube video. But I found the same thing when experimenting with the audyssey app way back.

Audyssey doesn’t really boost the low bass 10dB per the curve you added. A more predictable result is to cut the top end, instead of boosting the bottom end.

Using the cut method, I am able to dial in a satisfactory house curve with the audyssey app.

3 Likes

Interesting method… I never think of that. I recalled that if you want to boost the lower spectrum of the freq, make sure to disable Audyssey EQ or else Audyssey will try to flatten it like you mentioned.

This method is not unlike what we do with ARC. The software algorithm have limited boost capabilities, so just raise the levels and cut off the peaks to reach target curve.

1 Like

Interesting, will experiment when I get back

the method recommended by wechnivag here is good.

It was first recommended by folks in AVS forum when Dirac Live launched. Dirac Live 1st came out with option for users to apply shelving filters. They term this " High Shelf filters"

So instead of applying a Low shelf filter (where one boosts the subwoofer freq), high shelf filters are applied instead on the speakers. I like the concept of not apply boosting eq… it sounds nicer

I think audyssey has improved a lot, very happy to see all the improvements done on the audyssey app as well… not bad… they are listening and improving…

1 Like