Everything about Audyssey Calibration that you need to know

Yes…to my understanding, this desktop-based calibration will require one to know what they are doing. For Dirac, it is more automated and thus easier to use. This Audyssey Multi-X gives the user more flexibility to play with the filters and target curves but it requires some trial and error.

So far, the app can only be used on Windows OS. For Mac user, you can use Parallel or boot camp into Windows to install and run the s/w.

Look very customizable. Audyssey will be gathering feedback from users and will continuously improve the app. Supporting Mac will also be on the roadmap.

Looks like license tied to the avr and license not transferable. Not so good for users when we buy sell avr

Would that mean when you sell the AVR, you can include the license… it’ll be more valuable then? Or when resold, the license becomes void?

I think best is to purchase a new model that comes with this license and then when you sell, its easier since it comes bundled with the new unit…I could be wrong as this is quite new to me as well. This Jeff Clark chap is not a very good presenter imo and he left a lot more questions than answers.

Yes, I believe so…but you must get the latest model that comes with this license. For existing AVR owners who wish to acquire this license, you need to pay US$199 and IIRC, it ties to the owner of that particular AVR model you used on. Whether transferable or not, they didn’t elaborate.

Supported avr models:

Anyone tried this Multi EQ X yet? I wanted to wait for a while (like a year) for the software to stabilise first before proceeding as its not cheap. But now backside itchy, itch urging me to try when i am free lol. :smiley:

And seems like there is an option to buy a calibrated audyssey mic? Which adds another S$110, making the total cost S$380 with the MULTEQ-X software. This is not good! :confused:

Be the first in this forum to try it out… Look forward to your review. :wink:

Lol…

Let me go read up the avs and avforums to check out what bugs there are now first

This is quite an excellent summary what multeqx can do and there are also comparisons to dirac and ypao w some Layman explanation.

1 Like

Hey… I want to be sure I understand what you are saying in this section…

So how do we do it? You can either do it at the App level or within the Ratbuddyssey itself. For the latter route, add +3db under the “Custom Level” text field. DO NOT simply at +3db and call it a day. Instead, you will need to add +3db to the original SW level.

Are you saying I need to add 3db to the Trim Adjustment box and the Custom Level box or just the Custom Level. Forgive me if this is a stupid question…

Add to the custom level box. Follow through the instructions below.

You can either do it at the App level or within the Ratbuddyssey itself. For the latter route, add +3db under the “Custom Level” text field. DO NOT simply at +3db and call it a day. Instead, you will need to add +3db to the original SW level.

For instance, if the initial trim level for your 2 subwoofers as follows:
Subwoofer 1 (SWMIX): -1.0
Subwoofer 2 (SWMIX): -2.0

You will need to add “+3db” to the original trim value which will give you:
Subwoofer 1 (SWMIX): +2.0
Subwoofer 2 (SWMIX): +1.0

Saw this post recently. Went to read up a bit into the new multeq-x. Seems amazing that they can add so much new capability onto existing XT32 AVR. After all, the DSP chip is quite a few generations old and is always a limit in terms of overall processing through put.

Audyssey also claims to use some FIR filters, haven’t seen any details of how it is being implemented.

Edit : maybe needs to be a group member to view. A screen capture here for the highlight.

I hope to see members download the app and play with it. Of course, it is not free, to begin with…most people will be contented with the Audyssey XT32 version.

Here’s the user guide for MultEQ-X for those interested…

There is a Youtuber called David Susilo, an Indon Chinese who claimed to be Audyssey trained that is spreading misinformation (to a certain degree) about this “subwoofer” setting under the Speaker setting.

Please DO NOT follow his advice to set your subwoofer mode under the Speaker settings for your Denon/Marantz Pre-amp or AVR to LFE + Main. Stick with LFE. I’m not sure why this chap is doing this but he really needs to rectify the misinformation or take down that clip immediately before kena left, right, center and back from others.

Part of what he says is not entirely wrong but in best practise, we should always direct .1 LFE and let the AVR’s crossover to the proper bass management even your main speakers (tower speakers) on paper is able to reproduce good bass below the recommended crossover (e.g. 80hz) set by Audyssey.

If this topic interest you, then follow what Gene from Audioholics has to say in his video which is accurate.

2 Likes

Hi Desray,

Would like to check with you regarding the above LPF setting on my AVR with regards to Audyssey calibration. The bass setting on my Denon AVR has a LPF value ranging from 80hz to 250hz. You mentioned to set the LPF to the highest value. Do i set it to the highest value of 250hz? And do i make the setting before running Audyssey calibration or after ? Sorry for the noob question.

Thanks

As I’m rushing for work so I will give a very short and concise answer…a more detailed one will follow when I have the time. First, you need to know what is Low Pass Filter (LPF) and how it will affect the performance of the subwoofer. You can either google for more info, if not, I will explain here if you still can’t wrap the concept around your head :slight_smile:

Simple straightforward answer for now:

• Yes, if you can, set the LPF on the AVR to the highest (preferably set it before Audyssey calibration). Bass can be “heard” between 20Hz - 200Hz. Anything below 20Hz is what we termed as a “tactile” feel, that “rumbling” effect that many relate to. If you limit too low for your LPF, say 80Hz, you are limiting the amount of bass that your subwoofer can play. So set it to 200Hz or 250Hz so that AVR can takeover the bass management from your subwoofer.